Inkjet printer that lasts long without printing

bonheur

Mar 20, 2011
I want to replace my old all-in-one color inkjet HP printer--which happens to have a bug in its driver (where some lines of text are printed bolder than others)-- with the following setup:
  • A b&w, multi-function, laser printer to choose from this two Brother printers: DCP-7060D or DCP-7065DN (I just don't know of any better choice).
  • A cheap color inkjet printer which I'll use seldom to print the odd page in color.
I'm well aware that inkjet printers can dry up / get clogged if they are not used for a long period of time. Thus, I would appreciate if someone among you guys could give me some advice on what to look for my next moderately-priced, color, inkjet printer that I'll rarely use. I'll be happy with the cheapest inkjet printer available if the cost per printed page is low.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
To Bonheur,

In terms of an inkjet, what you are looking for is a Chimera, which loosely translated in a non existent mythological beast in OEM form.

But if the ink jet user is smart, its possible to overcome some of the inkjet limitations, especially in a modern world of almost universally chipped ink jet printers. But in return, the end user has to understand two simple things. (1) All Ink jet printers must be used used at least once every two or three months or else they clog. (2) And then the inkjet printer must understand the super duper high tech device called a on off switch. And without that device, every single time the computer boots up, it will cause the attached ink jet printer to preform a small ink wasting cleaning cycle regardless if the inkjet printer needs cleaned or not. And after more than enough cleaning cycles have been preformed on every computer reboot, the typical occasional ink jet user discovers, in their hour of need, that all their cartridges are empty pissed away in needless cleaning cycles.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
My Canon iP4600 using Canon-brand carts has gone a very long time (12+ months) without the ink carts drying out. I could just be lucky though.

bonheur

Mar 20, 2011
Thank you for your advice! :)

One more thought, should I perhaps invest on a color, laser, multi-function printer? I do not know how much they cost nor what the cost of the replacements are when it comes to color laser printers.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I have a brother inkjet that uses very little ink and does go through a cleaning cycle if left unused every 4 or 5 days. I didn't know what was going on at first. The printer is a network printer and nothing was supposed to be printing, suddenly it comes on, runs for about 5 seconds then shuts off. The next time it did it I looked at the lcd display and it said auto-cleaning. Internally it basically moves the head across the cleaning pad then re-parks it.

The only way I know to prevent the head from drying out on a printer that is not being used without auto cleaning of some sort, is to remove the print head and put it in a plastic bag. If the print head gets air it will dry out, no matter if it is parked, on a pad, etc.

I have been really happy with this brother printer, MFC_J615W. It retails for about $100. The ink carts are also not chipped in any way, just put more ink in them and re-insert. I had a canon I paid about 3 times that for and had nothing but trouble. The carts were chipped and it drove me nuts. This brother is smaller, has fax capability, and just works without the hassles.

Last edited:

bonheur

Mar 20, 2011
Now that's interesting! I was considering those inkjet Brothers with their high-capacity ink tanks as well.

Particularily, I was looking at this two models:

Brother DCP-J725DW: A4-size, with 600 A4-page ink tanks, and WiFi.

Brother MFC-5890CN: prints up to A3 size, scans up to A4 size, 900 A4-page ink tank for black, 750 A4-page ink tanks for the color tanks, and Ethernet.

The cost of the ink tanks is about the same for both printers so that makes me think the Brother MFC-5890CN may be a good deal over the other printer. My now broken inkjet printer did about 400 pages on a single black XL tank of ink.

Is that MFC-5890CN a clear "winner"? I think it does not have automatic printing on both sides like the J725DW does and I do not really need a FAX machine anymore.

Last edited:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
It really makes a difference if you need an ink jet for color photo printing or not. If not, a brother should be fairly good, but brother inkjets have one pigmented text black cartridge not used in photo printing, and only 3 dye based colors for photo printing. While a real photo printing inkjet will use four or more dye colors in photo printing mode.

Which explains why serious inkjet photo printers who refill mainly use Large cartridge ink jet printers made by either Canon or Epson.

bonheur

Mar 20, 2011
I do not need photo printing, but as long as I can print images in color and bits of text in color I will be alright (budgets, sketches, diagrams, etc.).

Let's say I need a color printer 40% of the time, while the other 60% is B&W only.

Eventually, I've been browsing the user manuals for several of the Brother printers I'm interested in. While I like the features they promise in their leaflefts, I found myself not liking their drivers very much. Their drivers looked outdated to me just by looking at their manuals, but that could be because I'm used to the flashy HP drivers.

Do you guys have any other suggestion I could look for? Either, it be a b&w laser printer or for a color inkjet printer that does not have to be "photo quality".

I need the scanner/copier feature, thus I'm looking for a multi-function device. I do not need a fax and WiFi/Ethernet may be welcome if they do not add to the price (USB only is fine).

Last edited:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I do not need photo printing, but as long as I can print images in color and bits of text in color I will be alright (budgets, sketches, diagrams, etc.).

Let's say I need a color printer 40% of the time, while the other 60% is B&W only.

Eventually, I've been browsing the user manuals for several of the Brother printers I'm interested in. While I like the features they promise in their leaflefts, I found myself not liking their drivers very much. Their drivers looked outdated to me just by looking at their manuals, but that could be because I'm used to the flashy HP drivers.

Do you guys have any other suggestion I could look for? Either, it be a b&w laser printer or for a color inkjet printer that does not have to be "photo quality".

I need the scanner/copier feature, thus I'm looking for a multi-function device. I do not need a fax and WiFi/Ethernet may be welcome if they do not add to the price (USB only is fine).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I asked those same questions in 2004, at a time when I had far more time than money. And at exactly the same time our families Lexmark printer was starting to crap out.

To a large extent I love my wife, but when she is a print acholic, her printing habits started eating us out of house and home.

So I got on the internet and started researching. And soon discovered 99.99% of internet printing information is worthless.

But luckily I discovered a few gem web sites, the nifty stuff forums, and Steves digicams. That taught me how big a rip off most inkjet printers are. But at the time it was possible to buy non chipped Canon printers that could use dirt cheap third party prefilled cartridges, that dropped my printing costs from the Lexmark cost of 30 cents a page down to about a penny of consumable ink costs per page for B/w text output. And 2 cents for mixed color output. So I bought a non-chipped Canon pixma ip4000 for my wife for $100.00 at the time. Even if my wife did not need a photo printer. Later I decided to refill my depleted Canon cartridges, and that got my B&W costs down to about a 1/3 of a cent per page and a penny for mixed color. Using proven inks that would not damage my printer thanks to the nifty stuff forums. And while I had no success refilling Lexmark or HP cartridges, Canon cartridge refilling is super easy. Meanwhile, while I seldom print, I used microsoft ICS to network our computers together so I could print off her printer. ( and no I did not have to buy the $60.00 more expensive ip4000r networked model to make it work. )

Later on I bought a dirt cheap used laser multifunctional printer, with copy, scan, and fax and also networked them together. And because I live in a rural area, and have frequent in and out going faxing needs, I estimate every time I use my fax it saves me $10.00 in gas
rather than taking a trip to town. I still print to the inkjet, its far cheaper. By now I estimate I have saved a grand in gas, not bad for a $60.00 used printer.

But my wife as a tax professional ever needs to print a pile of tax forms fast, you can't beat the speed of a laser.

Why worry about comparing the advantages ink jets or B/W lasers, why not have both? Especially in a multi computer user family!

Last edited:

bonheur

Mar 20, 2011
Thank you for your advice!

I've found this printer: Epson Stylus NX625 All-in-One Printer

Which has XL ink cartridges, the black one is rated at 945 pages while the color ones are rated at 755 pages. That should make for cheap prints even using genuine Epson ink cartridges.

All the online reviews I've found say good things about this printer and I have not been able to find bad comments about its driver.

This document: http://www.gedat-ersatzteile.de/ex/sx525wd.pdf makes me believe that this printer is also known with the following names:

WorkForce 625/ EPSON Stylus TX560WD/ NX625/ SX525WD/ EPSON Stylus office BX525WD/ EPSON ME OFFICE 900WD

Do you guys have any comments AGAINST this printer?

Another choice would be the Brother MFC-J625DW. But it features a fax which I do not need and it's only cheap with third-party inks. Alternatively, I think this is the same printer without fax DCP-J725DW but I'm afraid it's only offered in some markets.

Last edited:

bonheur

Mar 20, 2011
Update:

I already bought the above printer, Epson Stylus NX625 All-in-One Printer, and I'm rather happy with it. The driver was really easy to install on a Win7 32-bit machine and said driver consumes much less system resources on stanby than the previous driver for an HP printer did.

Also, the user can switch the driver's GUI language on the fly which comes in handy for multi-lingual environments.

This printer is rather fast compared to my previous HP all-in-one inkjet and it can use "XL" cartridges where the black ink tank lasts for about 900 pages. I calculated this was the cheapest printer I could buy, using their XL tanks, to print some 3,000 - 5,000 pages. I'll just buy another printer when I reach this 5,000 page-count milestone, that's what I plan to print in the next couple years. I don't trust a printer to last more than a couple years anyway, be it for wear or driver compatibility issues in the future.

What I have not yet tried is printing envelopes... I never had much luck in that department. Any advice with that?