Injured Vets draw reduced pay

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
This subject may have been posted before, some will say they are tired of hearing about it. What ever your thoughts are you have to admit that this is a disgrace...

Such poor leadership within our Government........

Reduced Pay

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
More evidence of the Bush administration saying how they honor and cherish the members of our military in front of the cameras and what they really think of them when and where it really counts.

And no, i'm not necessarily picking on just the Bush admin., as I've seen how my friends who were wounded and maimed in Korea, 'Nam and the Middle East got treated as badly and even much worse than the poor guy in the OP's story.

Top leaders like Bush like to send our valuable troops into battle and totally ignore the after-effects of their decisions, especially when it comes time to divert monies away from the front lines and into the hospitals and care homes where those that gave everything they could to their CIC reside. These leaders also like to ignore the fact that their decision to go to war has long-term and life-long consequences on those who are affected by the decisions these leaders make, especially where funding for proper care of our veterans is concerned.

In this regard, the Bush admin. looks to be about the worst offenders yet.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I have to totally agree with Grunt03 and tweaker2. Sadly the worse damage GWB&co may be doing is to almost totally kill the reserve system as well.

Calling GWB&co a mere disgrace may be a high compliment. But when its somewhat led by five deferment Cheney and a similar lot, even GWB's military record looks good.

But to treat wounded soldiers who sacrificed so much in this manner is the height of indifferent disregard and shame.

But in the end, its OK to put war time President on one's resume as long as one can show an iota of fiscal prudence. So says GWB as he moves to further gut the funding for
the VA. And if there is a hue and cry of public outrage, find a scapegoat and fire them.

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
I would agree. I also think that the VA system in general is in part to blame.

We know that GWG isn't about to fix anything and I dought that McSame will do any good.

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Lemon law
I have to totally agree with Grunt03 and tweaker2. Sadly the worse damage GWB&co may be doing is to almost totally kill the reserve system as well.

Calling GWB&co a mere disgrace may be a high compliment. But when its somewhat led by five deferment Cheney and a similar lot, even GWB's military record looks good.

But to treat wounded soldiers who sacrificed so much in this manner is the height of indifferent disregard and shame.

But in the end, its OK to put war time President on one's resume as long as one can show an iota of fiscal prudence. So says GWB as he moves to further gut the funding for
the VA. And if there is a hue and cry of public outrage, find a scapegoat and fire them.

GWB and Comp's answer "The Bush administration is about to propose far-reaching new rules that would give people with disabilities greater access to tens of thousands of courtrooms, swimming pools, golf courses, stadiums, theaters, hotels and retail stores. That great, who cares about money or health car eas long as we have access to swimming pools and other shit that we would have a use for. Another great idea to spend money.

Courts would have to provide a lift or a ramp to ensure that people in wheelchairs could get into the witness stand, which is usually elevated from floor level.

Auditoriums would have to provide a lift or a ramp so wheelchair users could ?participate fully and equally in graduation exercises and other events? at which members of the audience have direct access to the stage.

Any sports stadium with a seating capacity of 25,000 or more would have to provide safety and emergency information by posting written messages on scoreboards and video monitors. This would alert people who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Theaters must provide specified numbers of seats for wheelchair users (at least five in a 300-seat facility). Viewing angles to the screen or stage must be ?equivalent to or better than the average viewing angles provided to all other spectators.?

Light switches in a hotel room could not be more than 48 inches high. The current maximum is 54 inches.

Hotels must allow people with disabilities to reserve accessible guest rooms, and they must honor these reservations to the same degree they guarantee other room reservations.

At least 25 percent of the railings at fishing piers would have to be no more than 34 inches high, so that a person in a wheelchair could fish over the railing.

At least half of the holes on miniature golf courses must be accessible to people using wheelchairs, and these holes must be connected by a continuous, unobstructed path.

A new swimming pool with a perimeter of more than 300 feet would have to provide ?at least two accessible means of entry,? like a gentle sloping ramp or a chair lift.

New playgrounds would have to provide access to slides, swings and other play equipment for children who use wheelchairs.

The Justice Department acknowledged that some of the changes would have significant costs. But over all, it said, the value of the public benefits, estimated at $54 billion, exceeds the expected costs of $23 billion.

In an economic analysis of the proposed rules, the Justice Department said the need for an accessible environment was greater than ever because the Iraq war was ?creating a new generation of young men and women with disabilities.?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
From the article:

"When I got out, I hate to say it, but man, that was it. Everybody just kind of washed their hands of me, and it was like, `OK, you're on your own,'" said Stevens, who was discharged in November and was in a shelter by February.

Now that's friggin' sad. :(

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sadly, our government has been treating our wounded vets like garbage for a long time. Vietnam vets have had to endure the same level of care for more than 30 years. As much as I dislike the BushCo administration, I just can't lay all of this on them. It's an ongoing problem, but one that SHOULD have been fixed a long time ago. These men and women deserve MUCH better than they get.

Semper Fi.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The issue existed before the Bush administration.

It has just been brought to the forefront now.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
The issue existed before the Bush administration.

It has just been brought to the forefront now.

Correct! This isn't something the Bush haters can honestly blame him for. I know many 'Nam vets from 30+ years ago that put up with this crap. Blame your elected Congressperson for not providing the funds and holding the VA to a higher standard.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I hate the way the press always makes a hash of stories like this. Not that there isn't a story here that needs to be told, but the press rarely gets the facts right. At one point, the article talks about "military bureacracy", but then notes VA and SSA are the ones causing the delay in providing benefits, not the service branches. It's so much more complicated than it's ever presented in these stories. And these systems have been in place structured much like they are well before Bush took office.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Some true partisan schmucks that just want to use the story as a Bush attack. There are WW2 vets still fighting the system, and last I checked your buddy Bush wasn't even born then yet.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law, and then wants us to sing God Bless America?... God damn America for treating its citizens as less than human!"

this is our own fault for not demanding better of our government.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
This is our fault for allowing the stooges in Washington DC to make promises they cannot keep.