Ingrown Toenail Syndrome - update had the procedure

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Had the problem on both feet. USAF MD trimmed them back and hit them with a chemical.

No problems now.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
:(

March 2nd.

That's a long time for me to have to hobble around. I went ahead and accepted the appointment. Will he examine me, then decide to do the procedure...or will I have to go back?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Dedpuhl

March 2nd.

That's a long time for me to have to hobble around. I went ahead and accepted the appointment. Will he examine me, then decide to do the procedure...or will I have to go back?

The podiatrist should be able to do it then, all of the equipment is common and the procedure is simple. You will have to go back for a follow up a week or so later and make sure everything is ok.

If it is a general practioner, he will set you up with a referral to a podiatrist

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare

March 2nd.

The podiatrist should be able to do it then, all of the equipment is common and the procedure is simple. You will have to go back for a follow up a week or so later and make sure everything is ok.

If it is a general practioner, he will set you up with a referral to a podiatrist

I skipped the middleman and made an appointment with a podiatrist.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: eakers
my friends mom had both her big toe nails removed because of ingrowns.

I'm hoping to just have the sides removed and the nail matrix burned on each side.

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
I had a bone growth on the middle toe of my right foot. It was causing in growns like you wouldn't believe. Solution: podiatrist removed the toe nail, killed the root, then they sliced that piece of bone off. I've had no toenail there for 8 years now.

SilverTrine

May 27, 2003
I used to get ingrown toenails but one time my toenail got nail fungus and most of it crumbled away. Ever since then the toenail has been straight as an arrow.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare

March 2nd.

I skipped the middleman and made an appointment with a podiatrist.

Well if you have suffered like I have with ingrown's then it will be a piece of cake. You should be walking normally within a week. Your mobility will be kind of fubared for the fist couple of days and you will have to walk like a duck.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: eakers my friends mom had both her big toe nails removed because of ingrowns.
I'm hoping to just have the sides removed and the nail matrix burned on each side.

I had that done a few years ago, and it was painless and i kicked myself for not doing it sooner

I worked at a liquor store with a girl who was receptionist for a podiatrist, she made me an appointment and i didn't even have to pay the co-pay, he just took whatever insurance gave him

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

update 2

2 hours and some vicodine later, and I'm feeling good :)

My toes are/were bleeding pretty bad. I'm all bandaged up. The doctor had a hard time numbing my right toe. He had to stick me 4 freaking times before it went numb. I don't see how people can go to work the next day. I can't even removed the bandaging until friday afternoon.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: SilverTrine
I used to get ingrown toenails but one time my toenail got nail fungus and most of it crumbled away. Ever since then the toenail has been straight as an arrow.
Yay for shrooms! :p