Ingram Micro Lays off 1000

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999

Computer distributor Ingram Micro cuts 1000 jobs.
Orange County Ca. company has been hurt by weak demand for PC's and networking products.
Closing three facilities that will reduce its presence in Ca. significantly.
IM has already eliminated 1000 jobs previously this year since Jan.
"The word 'slowdown' for the industry is generous. Its a near depression".

Well, if you have been wondering why prices have been dropping like a rock...............

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999

Computer geeks see the world though their eyes. But as has been said many times before, they represent an infinitesimal speck of gross sales. I read somewhere that Intel forecast 20 million unit cpu sales, but will wind up with 10 - half!
Average everyday people are just not going to upgrade their computer anymore. How many of your non geek friends are willing to spend $340 for a video card? Mention it - they look at you like you are crazy.

A friend taking the A+ class locally said his (current) book mentioned that 9 million people STILL USE Win 3.1!
Another friend is running a $2mill/year business on two ancient Apple computers with 11" (I think) screens. The stuff thats all around out there is shocking, at least to us.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Heh. Ingram sucks. Back when i worked for a reseller, they never had anything worth ordering in stock, especially processors (unless you bought white box). I don't know if they ever started selling amd. Their website was the absolute worst. They made it nearly impossible to browse their inventory.

Tech Data was a little better, but not much.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Ingram sucks. >>

Ditto.

<< Tech Data was a little better, but not much. >>

Ditto ditto.

Russ, NCNE

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
So who is the best? Don't personally like MA Labs much either. I still always feel like I am paying retail anyway. :(