ING Direct - no worries ?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Well I just got $25 for opening up a new account via my fiance's link. She also got $10 for me doing so. She's got a healthy chunk of change in there and showed me how much she made in interest alone this past month. Well I finally decided to do it, but threw in only $10 from my bank's checking account just to test the waters. Anyone have any bad experience with them? "FDIC insured" covers our @$$ doesn't it?

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
FDIC insures up to $100,000 I believe.

What kills me is people keep hundreds of dollars in paypal, but it's not fdic insured. That's just ASKING for trouble.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
3% won't make you rich any time soon, but it's better than most savings accounts.

For every $1,000 in the account you'll earn $2.50 a month.

Viper GTS

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
You should have gone through this link to get a FREE $50 bonus as opposed to $25 but oh well, free is free right?

Spooner was also paranoid about ING Direct and yes your money is safe since they are FDIC insured.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
3% won't make you rich any time soon, but it's better than most savings accounts.
Hell, I'd like to know which INGDirect you're banking at to get 3%. :p The website's been ringing up 2.75% (down from 3.25 when I first signed up) for the past month at least.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: tenchim
Hell, I'd like to know which INGDirect you're banking at to get 3%. :p The website's been ringing up 2.75% (down from 3.25 when I first signed up) for the past month at least.

I don't think Viper is aware that it's recently been adjusted (lowered) to 2.75% from 3.0%

But it still kicks ass over my bank which is paying under 1% and my Credit Union which is paying 2.0%.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
But it still kicks ass over my bank which is paying under 1% and my Credit Union which is paying 2.0%.
So true. I think my bank's being generous with 1.3x% and that's tiered. Now if I had deposited, say the GDP of Japan, that'd go up to 1.7%! :Q:D

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: tenchim
So true. I think my bank's being generous with 1.3x% and that's tiered. Now if I had deposited, say the GDP of Japan, that'd go up to 1.7%! :Q:D

You should check out a local Credit Union and see what they're offering.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
You should have gone through this link to get a FREE $50 bonus as opposed to $25 but oh well, free is free right?

Spooner was also paranoid about ING Direct and yes your money is safe since they are FDIC insured.

Damnit you had to point out the $50 now didn't cha!? ;) Well nothing I can do now... except use my family members' SSNs. ;)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71

Damnit you had to point out the $50 now didn't cha!? ;) Well nothing I can do now... except use my family members' SSNs. ;)

I opened an ING Direct savings account, got my FREE $50.
My wife opened an ING Direct savings account, got her FREE $50.

Switched my long distance to AT&T will receive FREE $75.

Test drive 2003 Ford Expedition will receive FREE $75.

So far we're up to $250 in TAX FREE $$$

jamesave

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2000

Viper GTS

I thought it was 3%APR (Annual Percentage Return) so it should be divided by 12?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

So... you know all about how I'm looking for a house right? You wouldn't by chance be needing that $250, would ya? :)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: jamesave

Viper GTS

I thought it was 3%APR (Annual Percentage Return) so it should be divided by 12?

At the current 2.75%, it'd be $2.29 for $1000 in the account...

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

So... you know all about how I'm looking for a house right? You wouldn't by chance be needing that $250, would ya? :)

You do know that I just bought a $17,244 Honda Accord SE which I can't afford and I have A LOT of CC debt thanks to Hot Deals, right?

I thought so :D

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
RossMAN, the $50 for opening the account is NOT tax free... its considered interest on the account, so you'll be paying taxes on it.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
RossMAN, the $50 for opening the account is NOT tax free... its considered interest on the account, so you'll be paying taxes on it.

Ok I might pay a whopping $1-$5 in taxes, big whoopie but you're right.

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
No problems with ING Direct here. I've had an account with them since the beginning of the year and I've been able to transfer money in and out of the account without any issues. Sure beats the pathetic 0.5% from BofA or the 1.72% of my credit union.

Silly me didn't realize at the time that I could've made another $50, instead I ended up opening a joint account with the gf and myself. Oh well!

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Just curious, that $50 hot deal link for the application requests the "page number" for the ad (or something like that)... are we supposed to guess or is that page number found somewhere in the 6-page thread you linked to?

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001

Eh, i'm always right... you get used to it...

I just wanted to make sure come tax time you didn't start a thread titled "WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME I HAD TO PAY TAXES ON MY ING $50?!?! DANG ME AND MY LIKING CHEESE!!"

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

Eh, i'm always right... you get used to it...

I just wanted to make sure come tax time you didn't start a thread titled "WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME I HAD TO PAY TAXES ON MY ING $50?!?! DANG ME AND MY LIKING CHEESE!!"

You may be right this time but next time ...

:D

Nostrada

Jun 26, 2002
Just curious, that $50 hot deal link for the application requests the "page number" for the ad (or something like that)... are we supposed to guess or is that page number found somewhere in the 6-page thread you linked to?

I well over 18, are you?