Info on Dell outsourcing work to India?

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
If you know of any links to information about Dell outsourcing any kind of service to India, Please link me to them. The actual type of work being outsourced is irrelevant as long as it involves Dell and India.

Thanks. :)

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
Got that, but I wasn't specific enough.

I need info that while Dell is moving Customer Service back to the US, they are moving other areas of labor to India on the down-low.

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was just going to make a topic about Dell using contractors. I think I still will. As far as Dell outsourcing to India, I know for a fact that they just built a "new" server testing lab there. It's a joke though, from what pictures I saw of it, compared to what they have in Round Rock. I really don't understand Dell. They want people to buy their products, but how can people if all jobs go overseas? Why should people support Dell, if Dell doesn't support their people here (contractors) and make them perm? I sure won't buy anything from them unless I go perm.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If bumblefscking around for 45 minutes with some guy who has to repeat himself 4 times before I understand him and a tech that is about as skilled in trouble shooting as 2x4 is their idea of quality support more power to them.

I've bought $150,000 worth of equipment with them in the last 3 years. After this year all my purchases have gone elsewhere.

Their loss.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Axon

I need info that while Dell is moving Customer Service back to the US, they are moving other areas of labor to India on the down-low.

Um, Dell isn't moving anything. Dell contracts their customer support out to a division of Solectron Global Services, which is shutting down call centers in the US to move to Mexico and India because it's cheaper. You're not talking to a Dell rep on the phone, you're talking to a Solectron rep under a Dell contract.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I remember a few years ago, before all the hoopla of call centers being outsourced, the customer service still sucked. If I was lucky enough to not get someone who was extremely rude, spoke "ghetto" (which I have a hard time understanding - and i listen to rap), or was seemingly entered in some contest to see whether he or the guy in the next cubicle could finish the call sooner, I had to contend with the fact that they still didn't know jack sh*t. I, for one, don't see the degradation in quality. It always sucked. The only difference now, is that more companies should be able to provide 24 hour service (whatever that is good for), and hopefully, they will pass on some of the savings to me. And I'd rather talk to a non-American than to be put on hold for 10 minutes listening to some crappy music.

btw, i recently had an issue with my dell computers video card and the Indian girl handled it fine. Problem solved in a quick manner.

Like everything new, people are going to whine and b*tch about it for a while, then they'll accept it, and move on.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: Axon

Um, Dell isn't moving anything. Dell contracts their customer support out to a division of Solectron Global Services, which is shutting down call centers in the US to move to Mexico and India because it's cheaper. You're not talking to a Dell rep on the phone, you're talking to a Solectron rep under a Dell contract.

That is similar to Gateway then. I know Gateway used to contract with Convergys for tech support.