thepaleobiker

Feb 22, 2017
Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting the Ryzen 5 CPU with Wraith Spire (1500X) when it comes out next month, hopefully with an ITX Mobo.

I'm trying to see if it'll fit inside my CM Elite 130 Mini-ITX case. The case has a max CPU Cooler clearance of 65mm.

From all the reviews/AMD Slides, it seems like the Wraith Spire Cooler is rated for 95W and is 54mm in height.

Can anyone who has the Ryzen 1700 kindly confirm the dimensions? I only ask this because the pictures all seem to show a the cooler that looks taller than 54mm.

Thank you!

Regards,
Vish

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-Wraith-Spire-8--pcgh.JPG

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-Wraith-Spire-5--pcgh.JPG

AMD-Wraith-Ryzen-Coolers.jpg

AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X-1700X-170-confirmed.png

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I should be able to measure the physical dimensions for you when I receive my retail-boxed 1700 later today.

Reactions: thepaleobiker

thepaleobiker

Feb 22, 2017
I should be able to measure the physical dimensions for you when I receive my retail-boxed 1700 later today.
Thank you!
Just measured it for you since I didn't end up using the stock cooler on my Ryzen 1700. It measures from top of the fan shroud to the bottom of the mounting plate 2.75 inches which translates to 69.85mm

Thank you! This is great info, but wow, so its nearly 70mm, but the specification is for 54mm height :( Is that normal to be so off/incorrect from specified height? Will its effective height be "less than" 70mm? Either way, I'm skeptical it'll fit inside my CM Elite 130 case :(....

Regards,
Vish

TimCh

Apr 7, 2012
Thank you!

Thank you! This is great info, but wow, so its nearly 70mm, but the specification is for 54mm height :( Is that normal to be so off/incorrect from specified height? Will its effective height be "less than" 70mm? Either way, I'm skeptical it'll fit inside my CM Elite 130 case :(....

Regards,
Vish
I would assume that it is 54mm for the heatsink itself, excluding the fan.

thepaleobiker

Feb 22, 2017
Yes if you remove the fan it's much less tall. But that means a passively cooled CPU.
I would assume that it is 54mm for the heatsink itself, excluding the fan.

But is that how it's supposed to be marketed? I always thought its the max height from motherboard upto top of the CPU cooler....which it doesnt seem to be. I really appreciate your help! :) I'm just frustrated/confused how the measurements of a CPU Cooler can be...obfuscated like this.

Regards,
Vish

AMD-Ryzen-7-Wraith-Max-and-Spire_02.png

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
But is that how it's supposed to be marketed? I always thought its the max height from motherboard upto top of the CPU cooler....which it doesnt seem to be. I really appreciate your help! :) I'm just frustrated/confused how the measurements of a CPU Cooler can be...obfuscated like this.
There's a "Max cooler height" which is different from the actual cooler height. That is the measurement from the motherboard to the top of the cooler. Whoever made up that slide though is very wrong about the Wraith :)

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Dont forget you also need space above the fan to actually allow air into it. If the HSF is 70mm itself you are going to want at least 10mm more to allow "adequate" air to enter the fan. Of course there's always the backcountry option:

add_install_cooling_fan_grill_120mm_140mm_pc_case_mod_guide_mnpctech7.jpg

TimCh

Apr 7, 2012

Regards,
Vish

AMD-Ryzen-7-Wraith-Max-and-Spire_02.png
Yes it is a bit frustrating, I was considering using the stock cooler in a small form factor build.

thepaleobiker

Feb 22, 2017
Thank you all for the help and info! I might just need to re-think my approach :) I guess. (get an mATX case....and mATX board)

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
ICRC, the official spec of the Spire is 69mm tall. Can't be bothered to look it up now (I'm on my phone), but I've definitely seen that posted in several news (nor rumor, actual news) reports. That spec sheet is obviously incorrect.

Reactions: thepaleobiker