Infant dies after mother swabs nose with meth pipe cleaner

WingZero94

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2002
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295585,00.html

ONTARIO, Calif. ? An 8-month-old boy has died after his mother told police she accidentally cleaned his nose with a cotton swab used earlier to clean a methamphetamine pipe.

Samuel Reta of Ontario was declared dead Friday at Loma Linda University Medical Center, according to the San Bernardino County Coroner's office.

Reta had been in a coma since police responding to a child-not-breathing emergency call early Thursday found him in full cardiac arrest. The baby also has a fractured skull, broken arm and pneumonia, police said.

Elizabeth Reta, 27, was arrested Thursday and booked for investigation of felony child abuse.

Click here for FOXNews.com's Crime center.

Her boyfriend Juan Antonio Sanchez Jr., who surrendered to police later that night, was also arrested on suspicion of abusing the child, officials said.

It was not immediately known if Reta and Sanchez faced additional charges now that they boy had died, police Sgt. Joseph Giallo said Monday.

Reta had told police she gave the baby a bath, and then used the cotton swab to clean his nose because it was itching, police said. She said she didn't know the swab had been used to clean a methamphetamine pipe.

It wasn't clear when the baby suffered the broken bones. Police said some of the injuries may be the result of Sanchez's attempt to rouse the baby from his seizure.

I never know if I am more sad or angered by this type of thing....

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
it's both, it pisses me off - I know Meth heads, I live in Riverside County which is somewhere in the top 5 in the nation for meth users. I want to beat the ones who have kids, they can't even take care of themselves and they bring a baby into the world. This took place in Ontario which is about 20 minutes from where I live, sad sad story :(

RIP to this baby who never even had a chance...

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
For having such big brains, humans can really be astonishingly stupid.