"INF Error, video driver not found" error when installing Catalyst Drivers?

Dill

Mar 2, 2000
Picked myself up a new 8500 the other day...removed all my old Nvidia drivers, put the card in, and fired the machine up. Downloaded the catalyst drivers from ATI's site, went to install them, and I get the 'inf error video driver not found' error. so I think maybe I got a corrupt driver package, so I redownloaded it. Same problem. Using the standard vga win xp driver, so nothing is installed prior to install. So I tried the drivers that came on the cd. They loaded fine.

WTF is going on here? Any ideas on how to get the good drivers to load?

Dill

Mar 2, 2000
its an OEM board...are they really different enough that the ATI driver won't install correctly?

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ummm...lets see.....You might want to try Powered By Drivers

Alternately you can try Omega/Plutonium's modded drivers, tweaked for more performance and quality in games, they also don?t care if your card is OEM, or ATi retail. I'm not currently using them on my machine, but I have tried several releases and they seem fast and stable, + I know others that use them over official ATi's. The latest version XK1.1.18 is based off of a leaked beta but there are slightly older versions based off of officials as well, which may/may not be more stable.

*opps, forgot the link.

go ---> here

Dill

Mar 2, 2000
thanks a bunch guys. I'll play with some of those other drivers on friday when I get home.

NeoMadHatter

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2000
johntwang.com
if you picked up an all in wonder model you gotta install the tv capture drivers first, don't reboot when it asks then install the catalyst drivers and then reboot. all will be fine then. i had to do that with my original all in wonder radeon. will be doing it again soon since i gotta reinstall windows.

Dill

Mar 2, 2000
you know Neo...I was having problems with a different AIW in a diff machine, and you just answered that question too. It refuses to work the tv tuner. Says 'make sure the driver is properly installed' bla bla. I'll try what you mentioned.

Dill

Mar 2, 2000
now here's the problem I'm getting. I tried the Plutonium drivers mentioned above. Rebooted, the XP scroll screen came up..then it just black screened when it went to load the user selection screen.

Tried ATI's powered by drivers. Same problem. Booted to safe mode, removed all drivers, rebooted. PC booted fine, with a generic XP driver. Ran regedit and removed all 'Radeon' references and tried the drivers that came with the CD again. Black screen. UGH!!! So I format the drive...install drivers off CD. Same fuggin thing..black screen. This is getting real old....

whats the correct order to install things in? Hydravision, Radeon driver, reboot?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I have exactly the same problem and I have a genuine ATi board, although I haven't tried the 2.2 Catalysts yet. The 2.1s give me that problem though.

farmercal

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
Welcome to my world. I have tried every driver I can find on the web for my 8500LE (128 MB) and I either get the black screen or it runs for a few minutes and them lockes up tighter than a drum. I don't think ATI and XP are compatible, period!

Dill

Mar 2, 2000
I installed the new drivers released on 8-1. PC has been working fine since installing these drivers. They were the reference drivers on ATI's site.