IndyMac Bank seized by federal regulators

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
More proof the credit crunch coupled with the declines in the housing market are F'ing things up, big time. Follow-up point: What is it about two-term presidents leaving a F'd up economy for the next administration to deal with? Clinton's economy tanked in '00 and now Bush's in '08. Coincidence? Or?

IndyMac Bank seized by federal regulators

The Pasadena-based thrift's failure is second in size only to the 1984 failure of Continental Illinois Bank.

By Kathy M. Kristof and Andrea Chang, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
4:48 PM PDT, July 11, 2008

The federal government took control of Pasadena-based IndyMac Bank today, in what regulators called the second-largest bank failure in U.S. history.

The Office of Thrift Supervision in Washington, the chief regulator of IndyMac, said it transferred control of the $32-billion bank to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.

Branches will be closed over the weekend, but the FDIC will reopen the bank Monday as IndyMac Federal Bank, the OTS said.

Regulators said depositors would have no access to banking services online and by telephone this weekend, but could continue to use ATMs, debit cards and checks. Online banking and phone banking services are to resume operations Monday.

Federal authorities said based on a preliminary analysis, the takeover of IndyMac would cost the FDIC between $4 billion and $8 billion.

IndyMac's failure had been widely expected in recent days, as regulators said it was not well-capitalized. Its stock has plummeted to mere pennies a share and some nervous depositors have been pulling their funds. The bank has been reeling from losses on defaulted mortgages made at the height of the housing boom.

"The OTS has determined that the current institution, IndyMac Bank, is unlikely to be able to meet continued depositors' demands in the normal course of business and is therefore in an unsafe and unsound condition," the agency said in a statement today.

IndyMac's failure is second only to the 1984 failure of Continental Illinois Bank, which had assets of $40 billion at the time.

At 3 p.m., IndyMac shut the doors to its main branch in Pasadena three hours early. Stunned customers were told to read a two-page notice that had been taped to the glass doors detailing the takeover.

One woman leaned against the locked doors, pleading with a bank teller inside. "Please, please, I want to take out a portion."

Another customer, Georgi Arnold of El Monte, had come to the bank to deposit $230 into her checking account but wasn't allowed into the bank. "I am livid," Arnold, 32, said. "I'm glad I closed my savings account already."

Arnold said she had "a few thousand dollars" in the bank -- money she uses for her children, small bills and vacations. "Best believe first thing come Monday I'll be drawing out all my money and closing my account because this is ridiculous," she said. "I'll go elsewhere."

The FDIC said it had opened a toll-free phone line for customers of the bank. The number -- 866-806-5919 -- will operate today from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. PDT and then daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. thereafter, except Sunday, when the hours will be 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Customers also can go to the FDIC's website http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/IndyMac.html for information.

IndyMac Bank is the deposit-taking subsidiary of IndyMac Bancorp.

LINK: http://www.latimes.com/busines...8jul12,0,6071779.story

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
We should start a pool on the next bank to shut down.

WAMU? Wells? Wachovia? Suntrust?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Lehman isn't looking too good these days ;)

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I am sorry, but credit crunch didn't kill Indymac, this dumbass did:

The banking regulator said it closed IndyMac after customers began a run on the lender following the June 26 release of a letter by Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., urging several bank regulatory agencies that they take steps to prevent IndyMac's collapse.

In the 11 days that followed the letter's release, depositors took out more than $1.3 billion, regulators said.

You don't mention a bank like that saying it is on a verge of collapse. It doesn't matter if the bank is largest on the planet, if someone in power like a senator mentions that a bank is about to collapse, all depositors will panic. No way in hell are banks prepared to accommodate all the withdrawals in a short time like that, it just doesn't work that way.

source

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
IndyMac was already doomed anyway. They were at the heart of the Alt-A and non-prime mortgage crisis.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic
IndyMac was already doomed anyway. They were at the heart of the Alt-A and non-prime mortgage crisis.
+1

This company has been on Wall Street's shit list a while now and stock has been < $1 for some time. But I agree that Schumer should NEVER have mentioned the bank by name as that no doubt accelerated the day of reckoning.

nergee

Jan 25, 2000
We are very close to the point where any bank can fail at any time. If you are over the FDIC limit at Wachovia or Washington Mutual (or for that matter anywhere), do something about it immediately.......

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: nergee
We are very close to the point where any bank can fail at any time. If you are over the FDIC limit at Wachovia or Washington Mutual (or for that matter anywhere), do something about it immediately.......

What stinking commie created the FDIC and got the government interfering with the private sector, anyway? Oh ya, another thing FDR did. Libertarians: repeal the FDIC?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Craig234

What stinking commie created the FDIC and got the government interfering with the private sector, anyway? Oh ya, another thing FDR did. Libertarians: repeal the FDIC?

Sadly .. Bush and the Neocons have stolen so much money and printed so much fake money that I highly doubt the FDIC has the reserves to help when this next crisis hits

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Slew Foot

I predicted Wells is going down awhile back. I'm sticking to my guns. This show has just started.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: dahunan

Sadly .. Bush and the Neocons have stolen so much money and printed so much fake money that I highly doubt the FDIC has the reserves to help when this next crisis hits

I read that the FDIC has around 45 bill in reserves, IndyMac will cost them about 6 billion, so there should be plenty left for the next bank.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Dissipate

I predicted Wells is going down awhile back. I'm sticking to my guns. This show has just started.

wells as in wells fargo?

do they even have a mortagage unit?

wells fargo will be fine. it is probably one of the healthiest banks.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: z0mb13

wells as in wells fargo?

do they even have a mortagage unit?

wells fargo will be fine. it is probably one of the healthiest banks.

Wells Fargo has been put on an implosion watch list:

Bank Imploder

Wells Fargo has $141 billion in residential real-estate loans, with about a third of that located in California, Friedman wrote in a note to clients. The firm cited a report from Downey Financial which suggested that its non-performing assets rose 150% during the fourth quarter, and 35% in December, when compared with November.

?We believe that Wells Fargo is not immune to industry weakness,? FBR wrote.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dahunan

When did Bush and the neocons become libertarians?

Anyone who thinks this latest go-around (and the great depression for that matter) is an example of free market bust should just excuse themselves from all further economic discussion, lest they humiliate themselves.

chrisho

Jun 17, 2008
Originally posted by: Dacalo
I am sorry, but credit crunch didn't kill Indymac, this dumbass did:

The banking regulator said it closed IndyMac after customers began a run on the lender following the June 26 release of a letter by Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., urging several bank regulatory agencies that they take steps to prevent IndyMac's collapse.

In the 11 days that followed the letter's release, depositors took out more than $1.3 billion, regulators said.

You don't mention a bank like that saying it is on a verge of collapse. It doesn't matter if the bank is largest on the planet, if someone in power like a senator mentions that a bank is about to collapse, all depositors will panic. No way in hell are banks prepared to accommodate all the withdrawals in a short time like that, it just doesn't work that way.

source

Very true.

Just as Congress wants to take over the health care of America and imposes burdensome regulations and investigations on the current industry they want the mortgage industry too, dropping hints of taking over Fannie Mae and such.

Scary thing is, people will cheer them on. Then they can run it as well as they have run other take overs, like AMTRAK

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
What's sad is that there's a run on any bank in this country, I'll bet $ very few people that took out their $ had more than $100K in any account at IndyMac :(

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic

Quite.

A quick look at their stock price will tell you that they have been 'living dead' for about 2-3 months. A stock doesn't lose 95% of its value if the company has a viable business model and expectations of survival. At this level, everyone knows its a gonner and their just betting on some form of bailout.

Heck, the stock was down in the pennies at the time Schumer made his announcement.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Wachovia is the 4th largest bank in the US, they're not gonna fail like IndyMac does.

WM on the other hand.... I don't know.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Dissipate

Wells Fargo? You gotta be kidding me.

nergee

Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
Wachovia is the 4th largest bank in the US, they're not gonna fail like IndyMac does.

WM on the other hand.... I don't know.

Both Wachovia & Washington Mutual are loaded up to their eyeballs with Alt-A, liar loan garbage. Wachovia is at $11.54/sh while Washington Mutual is hanging on by their fingernails $4.95 a share.

Wachovia's CEO says the company plans to remain independent, despite rumors of a possible takeover. No one in their right mind would want to acquire them and besides, no one is big enough to take them under as JPMorgan did Bear Stearns. The FED will just come up with another shotgun type marriage to bail Wachovia out.

Treasury Sec. Henry Paulson said "Institutions Must Be Allowed To Fail". This is an admission the Fed is powerless to stop a credit implosion whether the Fed wants to do something about it or not. We have finally reached the point at which this fusking mess is too big to bail. All that remains at this point is the final numbers on how much taxpayers have to cough up when Congress gets involved and tries to make water run uphill......IMO