"Industrial Accident" casemod

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Took about $50 worth of materials, 15 hours, and about every tool known to man...including brute force. Hope you enjoy. :)

DSC_0188_1400x930.jpg

DSC_0185_930x1400.jpg

DSC_0238_1400x930.jpg

DSC_0191_1400x930.jpg

DSC_0197_1400x930.jpg

DSC_0198_1400x930.jpg

DSC_0255_1400x930.jpg

DSC_0376_1400x930.jpg

DSC_0379_1400x930.jpg

Last edited:

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
that's really cool !

did you do the welding yourself ?

one suggestion - make sure you put it somewhere where no one can stub
their tow on it. if they catch it wrong, material like that can cut bad.

or, to put some kind of edge stripping, e.g. radiused aluminum or something so it doesn't detract from the look, on the sharp edges.

i cut myself on similar material. 5/8" deep. right between the toes. left pinkie toe dangling. not good.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah, I was thinking 'dust magnet' when I first saw it. A true ghetto mod look to it. Not my type of thing but its an interesting rig. I can imagine the looks people will give it when they see it in your room. Should make for plenty of conversation. /chuckle

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
that's really cool !

did you do the welding yourself ?

Definately really cool. I suggest you (the OP) submit it to the next "Mod the box" contest here.

I don't think it is welded. Looks to me like nuts, bolts and... stripped Romex?!?!

It's kind of like an enclosed/encaged test bench.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Definately really cool. I suggest you (the OP) submit it to the next "Mod the box" contest here.

I don't think it is welded. Looks to me like nuts, bolts and... stripped Romex?!?!

It's kind of like an enclosed/encaged test bench.

Thanks guys! Yeah, no welding involved...just a lot of time on the drill press :) welding would have admittedly made it a much easier process but alas, we didn't have a welder. And zap, you have a keen eye...that is indeed stripped romex :D i was originally going to U-bolt the front/top panel on, but i liked how the copper looked with the heat-colorized steel... I may get some dust buildup, but the beauty of the design is that a few squirts of canned air and it's clean as a whistle. The thing is almost dead silent right now, you may have noticed that slot above the optical drive where i'll be mounting a 3.5" USB/Audio/multicard reader, and i'll be mounting two 120mm fans in the lower front grille soon, to be controlled using the switch and rheostat seen there.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Industrial accident waiting to happen? :hmm:

Say you reach to push the eject button on your DVD rom and slip and fall backward. Your finger goes in between the drive and the screen. Your skin will peel back like a candy wrapper! :eek:

Definitely a neat "industrial" look for sure.

All these dust fearing people clean your rooms! I don't understand why so much emphasis is put on filtering a PC these days! Aren't YOUR lungs more important? You breathe that air so clean it! If your air is clean you can run a case wide open like the OP and have no dust at all. :)

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Industrial accident waiting to happen? :hmm:

Say you reach to push the eject button on your DVD rom and slip and fall backward. Your finger goes in between the drive and the screen. Your skin will peel back like a candy wrapper! :eek:

Definitely a neat "industrial" look for sure.

All these dust fearing people clean your rooms! I don't understand why so much emphasis is put on filtering a PC these days! Aren't YOUR lungs more important? You breathe that air so clean it! If your air is clean you can run a case wide open like the OP and have no dust at all. :)

I don't know about you ruby, but my drives don't open with enough force to push me over backwards! ;)

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I don't know about you ruby, but my drives don't open with enough force to push me over backwards! ;)

You can fall though. Probably sounds silly to you but I spend a lot of time at sea on a ship that moves so anything is possible.

It looks like it would be quite durable as far as falling over or getting tossed at the wall though! If the screen were welded to the rebar it would be quite strong! :eek:

mentalcrisis00

Feb 18, 2006
To Ruby: Generally my reasoning behind the dust consciousness is that I live in an old house that has alot of dust on a good day. Add to that my 4 cats and 1 dog that put out enough hair and dander to asphyxiate an elephant. Even with cleaning everyday and good ventilation it's a problem. I don't know what others dust problems are but thats where mine stem from.

To Hyper: That's definitely an original look, after seeing cases made of tires, grills, geiger counters, and cardboard boxes I've come to expect almost anything from the modding community. It looks great when the lights are out too, I second the notion to put it up for the next Mod the Box.

I also noticed the wood case you have behind it, very nice. I've always been a sucker for wood :p

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
And zap, you have a keen eye...that is indeed stripped romex :D

Heh, that's because I've used Romex to tie up stuff before, plus I don't know of anything else that might be that thick of a single strand while being copper colored and easy to manipulate.

I don't think dust will be too much of a problem if you keep on top of things. Certainly won't be like what I saw last night. Friend brought over a computer (not his, but his family friend) for troubleshooting because it wouldn't POST. Turned out to be the power supply. I was struck by two things when I first popped the side panel off. First, the stench. Second, the CPU fansink (socket 775, radial design like Intel retail boxed) was so caked that it was a complete layer between the fan and the heatsink, as if someone put a thick sheet of paper or thin felt pad on top of the entire heatsink before installing the fan. Turned out to be owned by a smoker. I inquired about the clogged CPU heatsink and my friend said that he completely cleaned it out last time he worked on it. I asked when that was...

"Two weeks ago."

OMFG, I am so glad I don't smoke. :eek:

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
And speaking of too much time with a drill press, I got my retired & bored dad to put 430 1/4" holes into the side panel of my old Antec 1040 case. Who needs mesh?

Now I can hang as many fans of whatever diameter wherever I want on the side without worrying about sucking furry animals into the machine. Had a cat do a test rub on the box last night, no sign of shaving. I'm thinking about getting a furnace filter to help with the dust problem.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
And speaking of too much time with a drill press, I got my retired & bored dad to put 430 1/4" holes into the side panel of my old Antec 1040 case. Who needs mesh?

Now I can hang as many fans of whatever diameter wherever I want on the side without worrying about sucking furry animals into the machine. Had a cat do a test rub on the box last night, no sign of shaving. I'm thinking about getting a furnace filter to help with the dust problem.

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003
That is really creative man! For some reason, I keep picturing Sarah Connor squashing the first Terminator in there. Unique look for sure.

mentalcrisis00

Feb 18, 2006
Hah I can totally sympathize Zap. Despite the hair and dust in my place I keep my case cleaned out but my sister is a heavy smoker. Every time I go over to work on her pc it's like the inside of a vacuum bag. Dust is pretty much caked up in every fan and I generally have to replace the case fans cause they're so lethargic. No one over there ever opens the case so it's pretty much just me every 2 or 3 months. Props to the hardware manufacturers though cause nothing has failed since I built it 2 years ago.

Anyway I think that case should be ok as far as dust goes, I think most dust problems come from it getting into the case and then not being able to get out. Having a totally ventilated case might cut down on the dust getting trapped in there.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Yeah, i've heard some horror stories about smokers' computers...which reminds me of that thread around here a few years ago where that guy was having insulation pumped into his walls and they poked a hole through the wall and proceeded to pump his home office full of insulation...the pics of his computers were morbidly hilarious.