Indoor Antenna - Not Leaf?

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
I am cutting the cord in the DC area because my wife doesn't want to cough up the fees for FIOS video ( as stellar as the quality is). We are close to DC (10 Mi an on a hill) and we get very good coverage of a large number of stations, so we're generally OK. I find that the Leaf antenna that I am using is very finicky in how directional it is. Does anyone have a recommendation for an indoor antenna that works well and has a wider spread of signal reception than the Leaf seems to have?

I spoke with Mohu, and they indicate that though I am relatively close to DC, they still see a fair amount of obstruction on the map between the sources and my house, so I would be looking for something with better receptivity than a leaf in a discrete indoor application. Is there such a thing?

Thanks,

Last edited:

simpletron

Oct 31, 2008
While not as indoor as yours, I have one of these mounted in my attic and ran a 25ft cable through the wall and directly to my TV. I'm able to pick up the two major station locations near me. one is 20 miles away, the other is 25 miles away and they form a 80 degree angle as my home as the apex.

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...ds=clearstream

Also try to get your antenna as high as possible. For me, at 3ft I got intermittent of one location; at 6ft I got 100% of one and none of the other and at 20ft now, I get almost 100% of both.

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
figured out the problem. Antenna is working OK, though I could get 10% incremental benefit (couple more stations vs 25) by putting something on the roof...not worth the effort.

Also using HDHomerun to beam the signal around my house from one antenna. Remember to set your screen resolution to 1280x720. 1900x1080 doesn't work. video is too choppy.