Individually Packaged Tylenol

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lambchops511, Nov 10, 2012.

1. lambchops511

lambchops511 Senior member

Where can I buy individually (or 2 per dose I guess) packaged Tylenol (or acetaminophen) or ibuprofen (don't really have a preference between the two); as long they come from a respectable manufacturer (e.g., Tylenol).

Would also be nice to get the ones that have +cough and/or +cold as well.

I don't need a lot of doses, just for personal uses. e.g., for convenience (e.g., travel / backpack) and sanitary reasons.

2. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

Vending machines and convenience stores

3. lambchops511

Checked CVS. None, all bottles.

4. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

CVS is a drug store. Try 7-11 or Circle K.

5. Jeff7

Jeff7 Lifer

Walmart/Kmart/Target.
    There should be a section somewhere near their pharmacy department that'll have various related travel accessories, and I'd expect them to have some of that stuff there.

6. l0cke

l0cke Diamond Member

Check travel sections at stores.

Also my university bookstore has them, but it's like $2 for 2 pills D:

7. Vic Vega

Vic Vega Diamond Member

The airport. :)

Bring lube.

8. ussfletcher

ussfletcher Platinum Member

Any gas station.

9. lambchops511

10. Colt45

Colt45 Lifer

buy a vat and package them yourself. single serving ones are gonna be expensive.

11. lambchops511

I don't mind paying for a premium (e.g., double the per unit cost). Even when I buy a full bottle, I find I usually end up tossing 50% of it before it expires.

12. Colt45

Colt45 Lifer

I think it will be more like 10x the cost.

I'm fairly certain 100 year old tylenol would still work fine. expiry dates are kinda silly on them.

13. lambchops511

I think expiry dates semi-make sense on bottled Tylenol. Even though the bottle is "closed", I am sure some moisture does seep in over 2-3 years and may make it "less safe".

Regardless, the total cost of this would be less than < $50 per year even if you assume I pop 50 of these in a year, I am guessing I average closer to < 20.

The main motivation for this is sanitary reasons, e.g., you have a sick friend over that wants some and chances are you pour like 5 in your hand and pop back 3 into the bottle...

14. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

Oh, one of those types.

And, seriously, you don't have to worry about expiration dates with a majority of pharmaceuticals, including most OTC NSAIDs (acetaminophen not being an NSAID, but still falls under the same group I'm describing).

To be fair, 100 years may be cutting it. But four, five, ten years past the date? Those bottled pills will be just fine.

If someone sick touches a pill and happens to be infectious material onto said pill, it's 99% likely said infectious material will be rendered dead/inert in a few days, tops. Only a few bugs can survive long term, but they generally need heating/cooling cycles and are rarely found outside of food-borne pathways.

And unless you've lived in a bubble your whole life, most of those more worrisome, spore-forming baddies aren't going to be able to form colonies inside said bottle, and thus your stomach - and more importantly, immune system - will be able to handle a single little bug.

In the end, if it's a major worry, YOU can dole out said pills from said bottle (if you're this into germophobia, you probably use hand sanitizer religiously, yes? if not, why the hell not?!). If giving pills to someone who is actually carrying an infection (or, you are worried they wiped their ass without washing, ran their hands through freshly manured soil, etc), whatever microbes you happen to have on your hands (sanitizer, stat!) will not make matters worse for the recipient, 99.99999% of the time.

Unless, of course, you frequently dole out pills to persons with HIV/AIDS/other immunodeficiency issue, or you yourself have such a condition. Then, by all means, practice and seek out the most germ-free way of life.

15. lambchops511

You're right, I'm not that religious hence I haven't taken action till now. But I will be travelling soon and I thought might as well, two birds w. one stone. I think its more convenient for individually packages when travelling? e.g., handy single dose in wallet.

16. Aluvus

Aluvus Platinum Member

Tylenol Cold and its ilk are usually sold in flat rectangular boxes that contain blister packs that can be torn into sections of 2 pills (1 dose). Honestly I think this is the only way I've seen it sold. Doubly so for any medications that contain pseudoephedrine, since blister packs make life a little harder for people cooking meth.

Blister pack meds are generally more convenient for travel, although the downside is that dosage information is usually not printed on the blister pack itself.

Expiration dates on medications are normally not a "safety" issue per se. Over time, moisture can physically degrade them (especially uncoated tablets, which will start to crumble). And the active ingredients may lose effectiveness over time. I'm sure there are exceptions to this.

When I get pills out of a bottle, I usually dump several into the cap, pick one (or however many) up out of the cap, and dump the rest back in. I do this mostly because I have a surprising ability to drop pills otherwise.

17. Meghan54

Meghan54 Diamond Member

Have you thought about places like Staples? Since OM, OD, Staples, etc., cater to office supplies, searching one of them (Staples in this instance) will reveal that all three carry supplies like this:

http://www.staples.com/Aspirin-Pain-...s/cat_CL140891

And I think this is exactly what the OP was looking for.

18. Matthiasa

Matthiasa Diamond Member

Yeah see there is your problem, they are actually good for years after the listed expiration date.

19. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Yes, they do. Check the travel section and also you usually find them next to the registers sometimes. Of course, you could just buy a small bottle for a couple of dollars and call it a day.

Just a few option:

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Extra-Strength-Pain-Relief-500-mg-Tablets?skuId=420038

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Ibuprofen-200-mg-Tablets?skuId=420039

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Advil-Ibprofen-Tablets-200-mg-Pocket-Pack?skuId=837544

#20 Capt Caveman, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  20. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

http://www.alltravelsizes.com/01-a-11-l.html
    You are paying a huge premium.

21. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

22. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Medical supply company that restocks professional/commercial first aid kits would sell just about anything in a single serving package. I'm with the people who say it's wasteful though. Most stuff doesn't really go bad, and there's no point in wasting money, and polluting the environment over irrational fears.

23. Jumpem

Jumpem Lifer

Walmart or Target brand cold medicine in the boxes comes in individually packaged two pillportions.