Question Individual cat6 & rg6 or combination (siamese?) cable

ogre001

Feb 2, 2021
Hey all. I've just registered but have lurked this forum for years. I have a question that I've been unable to find a solid answer to. I'm going to wire up my house ~1930s for wired LAN and also aerial TV. The way the house is arranged, the aerial will be in the attic, and most likely where I'll bring the internet service line in. They will run from there in a conduit to the basement where I'll have the infrastructure (distribution block, modem, router, switch, server). At this point, my plan is to run both lan and TV to each room (subject to whim). I will have a largish conduit from attic to basement, but pretty much everywhere else will be through framing.

My question is should I get combination cables where both types are connected together or pull individual cat and coax cables to each room. My concern is I have found few combo cables, from suppliers I've never dealt with and I've never tried to install them. Which way should I proceed?

Bonus: suggested brand(s) & suppliers for this? I'm cheap by nature, but this is hopefully a rest of my life situation, so I'll spend some money to do it correctly.

Thanks all.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Never, ever cut corners on your cabling. So big names and genuine sources--comscope, belden and grainger, blackbox. If they don't make siamese cable, then I wouldn't even consider it. And in general it may not be a good idea because you have a bigger crossection with a bundled cable like that whereas individual cables can get through smaller spots without trouble.

Case in point is my parents house that was built in 1995 and wired with the highest Mhz tested ethernet wire available at the time (400Mhz). This was pre-cat5e spec and before wifi was invented. Today, this same wire runs gigabit without an issue. I bet it will run 2.5Gbps as that becomes mainstream. The investment in the upgraded wiring doubled our wire cost, but as you can see, the investment will probably last well into 2030, which is over 30 years--probably wouldn't have made 2.5Gbps without the extra overhead.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Hey all. I've just registered but have lurked this forum for years. I have a question that I've been unable to find a solid answer to. I'm going to wire up my house ~1930s for wired LAN and also aerial TV. The way the house is arranged, the aerial will be in the attic, and most likely where I'll bring the internet service line in. They will run from there in a conduit to the basement where I'll have the infrastructure (distribution block, modem, router, switch, server). At this point, my plan is to run both lan and TV to each room (subject to whim). I will have a largish conduit from attic to basement, but pretty much everywhere else will be through framing.

My question is should I get combination cables where both types are connected together or pull individual cat and coax cables to each room. My concern is I have found few combo cables, from suppliers I've never dealt with and I've never tried to install them. Which way should I proceed?

Bonus: suggested brand(s) & suppliers for this? I'm cheap by nature, but this is hopefully a rest of my life situation, so I'll spend some money to do it correctly.

Thanks all.
I agree with SamirD, individual, you can pull them both at the same time but the only cable such as your speaking of that I would use is single pair phone rg6.
Otherwise, use cat6/e and rg6.
The above named brands are good. I would add in Perfect Vision and Amphenol as well.

What do you plan on with the rg6? If I may ask. Because if going with Satellite service, you'll want solid copper center conductor to reduce voltage drop. If Satellite is not an option go with copper clad steel center conductor for the strength in pulling through stuff. (It won't break as easy)
Cable TV and Internet services do not run voltage on the rg6 from tap to CPE, unless you have to use a house amp.
Satellite runs voltage to power the LNB on the end of the dish.
No voltage on MOCA as far as I know as well.

ogre001

Feb 2, 2021
Hey folks, thank you for the replies. I will go with separate lines. On the RG6, it is just going to be over-the-air reception. However, due to the length of runs involved, I will have a power booster at the antenna location in the attic. With that, I will go with a solid copper core on the RG6. Fortunately while the runs are long, the pull lengths will be pretty manageable, so I shouldn't need the extra strength there.