Indiana Senate passes bill putting religion in science class

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
People think there is no real harm in allowing creationism in science class but there is..look at the rise of pseudoscience in this country..and it’s a bipartisan issue, both dems and repubs. support various pseudoscience efforts…from the vast supplement industry to anti-vaxers and even on to ghosts and aliens…people believe this stuff and there is no evidence to support any of their claims..but people still flock to these things…critical thinking is crucial to exposing these scams and allowing this into science undermines that…

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yes, for real. Seriously.

From what origin does any concept come that humans are equal? Certainly not nature, and certainly not science. We see abundant evidence that we are unequal if left with only nature to guide us.

It comes from the dogmatic claim that we are created equal.

I agree with you on this one. I don't know enough about other religions to know their position on the matter, but in Christianity one of the fundamental teachings is that everyone is a child of God, created in His image, and equal in His eyes. That everyone should be treated equally, regardless of their failings, social status or wealth.

That concept is critical to the existence of western civilization as we know it.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Yes, for real. Seriously.

From what origin does any concept come that humans are equal? Certainly not nature, and certainly not science. We see abundant evidence that we are unequal if left with only nature to guide us.

It comes from the dogmatic claim that we are created equal.

And yet women are 2nd class citizens in most religions. Funny.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Religion has never been responsible for the discovery of anything moving human advancement forward. This is ridiculous. The Indiana Senate is filled with morons.

yet...

Wow, you really have no idea the role Religion has played in advancing humanity out of the darkness of chaos...

EDIT: Reading through the rest of the thread, I noticed most people change his statement to say "for the discover of anything scientific" which is certainly not what he said.

I also noticed some said something along the lines of "you cannot know it would not have been developed without religion" which also is not part of what he said.

Equality under the law was pushed very powerfully by Judaism, and picked up by Christianity...then dropped by Christianity and Judaism during the middle ages, then picked back up again. In Judaism, even slaves have rights which are protected.

One of the reasons why Monks developed so many things is that they followed the prinicpal of "to better understand the Creator, one must better understand that which the Creator created". This lead them to use scientific principals to better understand what God created. Without their religion to push them forward, they would never have discovered/invented the things they did. Who knows if these items would have ever been discovered/created.

Last edited:

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
The intent however seems to be to have a school district challenge legal precedent. This isn't an opportunity to explore alternatives (which really isn't science in any case), but a means to his stated end. I'm not very fond of that kind of thinking.

I think that discussing religious beliefs about the origin of the universe is completely appropriate but not in the context of a science class.

This 100%. They have classes for this already. Trying to push it into the Science room is wrong and won't be tolerated.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Wow, you really have no idea the role Religion has played in advancing humanity out of the darkness of chaos...

EDIT: Reading through the rest of the thread, I noticed most people change his statement to say "for the discover of anything scientific" which is certainly not what he said.

I also noticed some said something along the lines of "you cannot know it would not have been developed without religion" which also is not part of what he said.

Equality under the law was pushed very powerfully by Judaism, and picked up by Christianity...then dropped by Christianity and Judaism during the middle ages, then picked back up again. In Judaism, even slaves have rights which are protected.

One of the reasons why Monks developed so many things is that they followed the prinicpal of "to better understand the Creator, one must better understand that which the Creator created". This lead them to use scientific principals to better understand what God created. Without their religion to push them forward, they would never have discovered/invented the things they did. Who knows if these items would have ever been discovered/created.

Agreed. Even the Vatican employs scientists. (And people are always surprised to know that those scientists have gone on record to say that creationism is bad theology.) Creationism is NOT a belief of Christianity - Creationism is only a belief of SOME Christian denominations.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
So there shouldn't be any talk of big band or anything of that matter either right?

Tommy Dorsey and Glenn Miller don't approve of this message.

Talking about the big bang theory in Astronomy != pushing creation in Chemistry.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
yes, because everyone in Indiana can afford private schooling......

The clown that authored this, and for that matter the people that voted for this - need to be removed from office

That said, how much of the GOP's base voters are fine with this? I'm going to guess a scary high percentage.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
yes, because everyone in Indiana can afford private schooling......

The clown that authored this, and for that matter the people that voted for this - need to be removed from office

That said, how much of the GOP's base voters are fine with this? I'm going to guess a scary high percentage.

Irrelevant, the residents of the state have the power to enact its laws or repeal them. If there is enough concern they will do just that. If this was being force fed by the Federal govt. that would be a different story.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Agreed. Even the Vatican employs scientists. (And people are always surprised to know that those scientists have gone on record to say that creationism is bad theology.) Creationism is NOT a belief of Christianity - Creationism is only a belief of SOME Christian denominations.

Correct. The Bible gives a basic list of what happened is is VERY vague on the details. It is not a science textbook and should not be used as one.

All that said, does science even know how abiogenesis started? Any legitimate theories about it? I will have to search and see what I can find.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

Not I, that is the point I was (badly) attempting to make with Gregor Mendel. As far as I know most mainstream Christian denominations reconcile Genesis with the fossil record by viewing the Genesis account as allegory.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
cybrsage

And if religion hadn't suppressed science for centuries, where would we be?

Someone would have suppressed it for other superficial reasons. I think people give religion too much credit, both for good and bad. The bad things that people do in the name of religion, they often wanted to do anyway. Religion just gives them an excuse. For example, the Crusades were as much about the problem of what to do with the second born (and later) sons of nobility who were not to inherit their father's land as a true desire to reclaim the Holy Land.

Similarly, those that do wonderful, charitable things in the name of religion were already predisposed to do so, their religion just gave them a framework. Do you really think Mother Theresa only did her work because she was Catholic?