indiana oil refinery shuts down for maintenance, raising gas prices in midwest

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I don't even notice when the price jumps 50 cents filling up the 35 gallon tank in my truck. Whats it cost to fill up your car an en extra $5? If 5 bucks is a big deal you got bigger problems than gas prices, I'd solve them before worrying about gas.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
When will I see my vision of natrual gas powered hybrids? We, here in the U.S. have a fuck ton of the stuff yet we still use oil. How does that make any sense?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
5-15-2017

Secret at the pump: Why Indiana gas prices jump suddenly for no apparent reason
But in Indiana, price cycling means frequent, dramatic price swings that often have nothing to do with the traditional pricing factors that impact the price of gasoline. Rather than a steady 20-cent markup, Indiana gas stations may go days with only a 4- or 5-cent markup as they try to undercut or match competitors, then spike their prices to collect a 35-cent markup that helps recoup profits lost during their ongoing price war.

=======================================================
Read the rest of the article at the local TV station.

Now I know the real reason is it's a game to them.

I don't appreciate them playing with my money.

Bastards should be jailed like Madoff, it's not any different than what he did.

They are getting away with a cycling pyramid scheme.

Wait a minute, you've been blaming the "Evil" Oil Companies for years. Now you find out it's actually the retailers that have been manipulating the gas prices. As Meghan54 posted, we've been trying to tell you this for some time.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
5-15-2017

Secret at the pump: Why Indiana gas prices jump suddenly for no apparent reason

http://www.wthr.com/article/secret-...s-prices-jump-suddenly-for-no-apparent-reason

For years, Indiana gas prices have been on a rollercoaster ride for no apparent reason. The price you see at your corner gas station in the morning frequently jumps 30 - 40 cents by the time you head home in the afternoon.

It just happened again. The price at central Indiana gas pumps shot up last Tuesday – by as much as 54 cents per gallon at some gas stations – even though the price of crude oil went down that same day.

The sudden, unexpected price jumps drive Hoosier motorists crazy.

"Beyond crazy," said Susan Ellington of Noblesville, who filled her gas tank just a few hours after the price of gas jumped from $1.81 to $2.35 at a Camby gas station. "I don't understand it," she said.

The truth is frustrating -- but also fascinating -- and once you understand what's really happening, you'll likely never see gas prices the same way again.

"Most people just don't get it. They see it as a big mystery," said Scot Imus who runs the Indiana Petroleum Marketers & Convenience Store Association. "It's really a buying opportunity for consumers, but they're not really aware of it."

"Yeah, it really is an opportunity to save hundreds of dollars a year," agreed Patrick DeHaan, a petroleum analyst at gasoline industry watchdog GasBuddy. "This is very predictable, and if you understand it, you can beat gas stations at their own game."

A terrible "game" for the industry
That "game" happens every day in Indiana as gas stations compete for your business. Gas retailers constantly engage one another in neighborhood price wars, dropping their gas prices a few pennies at a time (sometimes several times a day) to lure you to their gas pumps.

"Stations in Indianapolis are constantly undercutting each other – essentially a price war every day," explained DeHaan. "It takes a week or so for those stations to drop their price so low that they're losing money. And then somebody will wave the white flag and they'll both raise their price again." That's when we get socked with sticker shock at the gas pump as gas stations reset their prices to a more profitable level.

The strategy is called "price cycling," and it happens in central Indiana, on average, every 10-12 days. Midwestern states like Indiana are the only places in the country where this occurs.

In most other states, prices rise and fall more slowly and steadily based on the wholesale price of gasoline and oil. According to the National Association of Convenience Stores, those gas stations set their prices to reflect an average markup of about 20 cents on each gallon of gasoline.

But in Indiana, price cycling means frequent, dramatic price swings that often have nothing to do with the traditional pricing factors that impact the price of gasoline. Rather than a steady 20-cent markup, Indiana gas stations may go days with only a 4- or 5-cent markup as they try to undercut or match competitors, then spike their prices to collect a 35-cent markup that helps recoup profits lost during their ongoing price war.

=======================================================
Read the rest of the article at the local TV station.

Now I know the real reason is it's a game to them.

I don't appreciate them playing with my money.

Bastards should be jailed like Madoff, it's not any different than what he did.

They are getting away with a cycling pyramid scheme.

No surprise mcowned doesn't understand what a pyramid scheme really is.

Reactions: Londo_Jowo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
When will I see my vision of natrual gas powered hybrids? We, here in the U.S. have a fuck ton of the stuff yet we still use oil. How does that make any sense?

Hop on down to your nearby cng station. Oh wait, there isn't one? That's why you don't see cng hybrids.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
About $2.19 for me... very livable. I'm not complaining. I think Dave should keep posting all the end of the world articles he can find, I think it's keeping prices reasonable.