Indian culture and religion are why it has a rape epidemic

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
Another deliberate article to target Nationalistic leadership that puts a hurdle against the global hegemons. Although it is fair to say that rape is a big problem in India, why does the article mention Mondi lots of times as if his presidency is the source of all evil. Such propaganda rely on the continious repetition of a contraversial issue that no one can oppose, aims for large scale social unrest and international defamation.

Just looking at rape statistics in India and United States makes this obvious.

Reactions: Thebobo

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Does the average Indian really take their religious mythos that seriously? I mean, the Old Testament is full of endorsement of rape but the average Jew and Christian doesn't exactly cite those parts. I don't know really anything about Hinduism (though maybe I should; the story of Brihaspati seems... interesting) but if someone put out an article saying "Wanna know why Muslims rape? Just look at Mohamed, he raped a nine year old", I don't think that would go over so well.

Also, hard to compare any nation to China when that nation has very opaque crime statistics and nothing resembling a free press.

EDIT: I actually clicked on the Reddit button next to an article for pretty much the first time ever, and from the comments learned that the author of this bit apparently has written only two other articles, both also anti-Hindu. A HuffPo author wrote a response, and while he of course is going to have his own POV, it seems much more detailed and informed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/parth...-not-behind-indias-rape-crisis_b_9554926.html

Last edited:

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Sure.... Nothing to do with religion. It's merely a coincidence that they all subjugate women. If it's not the case that it's attributable to man-made nonsense, then I guess they're just inferior human beings, right? racist much?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Sure.... Nothing to do with religion. It's merely a coincidence that they all subjugate women. If it's not the case that it's attributable to man-made nonsense, then I guess they're just inferior human beings, right? racist much?

Who is "they"?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Rape happens when the male specimen has not been taught basic human concepts and to keep his wanker in his pants.
Sorry guys, its as simple as that.
We have an amazing brain, our cortex is capable of imagining a quantum multiverse where tomorrow is as past as yesterday, relativity and curvature of spacetime itself.
We can also be just apes.
Apes rape. Cause animal.

You can abstract that away as religion or culture or whatever fits your agenda... i dont care.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
You gotta be fucking kidding me that there's no rape epidemic in China. Try living in Asia before you make up your ass comments like that.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
From the article regarding India:
2013 33,707 (reported rapes per year in India)

From wikipedia regarding US:
According to United States Department of Justice document Criminal Victimization in the United States, there were overall 173,610 victims of rape or sexual assault, or 0.1% of the US population 12 or older in 2013

:whiste:

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Another deliberate article to target Nationalistic leadership that puts a hurdle against the global hegemons. Although it is fair to say that rape is a big problem in India, why does the article mention Mondi lots of times as if his presidency is the source of all evil. Such propaganda rely on the continious repetition of a contraversial issue that no one can oppose, aims for large scale social unrest and international defamation.

Just looking at rape statistics in India and United States makes this obvious.

Not really apples to apples. Rape is one of those things where the definition of rape matters. Like, we have instances in the USA where if a guy and a girl are having intercourse and she says stop...and he doesn't pull out immediately...that is considered rape. It is extremely likely that official statistics coming out of India are garbage.

In India, there are cases where pregnant women in hospitals are raped, the infamous case had the woman being raped with an iron rod, there is now talk of airliners having women-only sections for their own protection.

The sheer brutality is different.

As for the Huffpo response, it acts like unless someone has memorized the stories word for word then the culture is not to blame. Which of course is an evasion.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I agree their Caste system is detrimental to women, and many religions, including Christianity, can be.

But the question remains, what's our (USA) excuse?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_the_United_States
Lol. I agree with you a bit but let me point out one thing

WTF is up with SWEDEN? rapes per 100K is 63.5 and has been steadily rising. It was 25 in 2003 and now is 66.5. USA at least has been in a somewhat slow decline (31.8 in 2003 and down to 28.3 currently)

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Do you live in Asia? Just curious :)

I did from 2007-2014 and traveled to most parts of Asia.

And yeah I watched the news. There were a lot of rapes, and Indians were nowhere close to the top when I was not in India.

When I was in Cambodia, Vietnam, they were "Tourists"

When I was in Thailand, it was Burmese and Cambodians and Thai's.

When I was in Singapore, it was indonesian/ malaysians/ filipinos and some singaporeans.

When I was in Philippines, it was men from "outer provinces"

When I was in China, it was "a crazy chinese man" or "ughurs".

Reactions: soulcougher73

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
Lol. I agree with you a bit but let me point out one thing

WTF is up with SWEDEN? rapes per 100K is 63.5 and has been steadily rising. It was 25 in 2003 and now is 66.5. USA at least has been in a somewhat slow decline (31.8 in 2003 and down to 28.3 currently)

Swedish law has so many revisions of what constitutes as rape, and that they encourage their people to report rape to the authorities more often. Hence why their numbers are higher than other nations. In Sweden, you don't necessarily have to be physically penetrated in order to call it rape over there.

Historically, rape has been defined as forced sexual intercourse initiated against a woman or man by one or several people, without her/his consent. In recent years, several revisions to the definition of rape have been made in Swedish law, to now not only include intercourse, but comparable sexual acts initiated against someone passive—incapable of giving consent—because they are in a vulnerable situation, such as a state of fear or unconsciousness.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Rape happens when the male specimen has not been taught basic human concepts and to keep his wanker in his pants.
Sorry guys, its as simple as that.
We have an amazing brain, our cortex is capable of imagining a quantum multiverse where tomorrow is as past as yesterday, relativity and curvature of spacetime itself.
We can also be just apes.
Apes rape. Cause animal.

You can abstract that away as religion or culture or whatever fits your agenda... i dont care.

There are no 'basic human concepts'. Morality is learned, not genetic. If the culture doesn't teach it, then the kids won't have it.

Religion almost by definition is anti-change. And since woman were basically trash during the formulation of most of these religions, major components of the religions still teach that. And people who follow those religions teach it.

Western countries have mainly left that religious bullshit behind. The more it gets marginalized, the better.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
There are no 'basic human concepts'. Morality is learned, not genetic. If the culture doesn't teach it, then the kids won't have it.

Religion almost by definition is anti-change. And since woman were basically trash during the formulation of most of these religions, major components of the religions still teach that. And people who follow those religions teach it.

Western countries have mainly left that religious bullshit behind. The more it gets marginalized, the better.

Im sorry, where do I suggest that 'basic human concepts' is a genetic trait? I think I did just the opposite.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
It's a good thing the US doesn't have a prevalent culture of rape. Why, the interaction between European Americans and Native Americans is nothing short of exemplary, as Howard Zinn did point out in that big ol' book of his.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Not really apples to apples. Rape is one of those things where the definition of rape matters. Like, we have instances in the USA where if a guy and a girl are having intercourse and she says stop...and he doesn't pull out immediately...that is considered rape. It is extremely likely that official statistics coming out of India are garbage.

In India, there are cases where pregnant women in hospitals are raped, the infamous case had the woman being raped with an iron rod, there is now talk of airliners having women-only sections for their own protection.

The sheer brutality is different.

As for the Huffpo response, it acts like unless someone has memorized the stories word for word then the culture is not to blame. Which of course is an evasion.

Ya....women are raped much nicer in US hospitals...

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It's a good thing the US doesn't have a prevalent culture of rape. Why, the interaction between European Americans and Native Americans is nothing short of exemplary, as Howard Zinn did point out in that big ol' book of his.

The best partnership ever.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

My pasta was overdone the other day. It must have been someone religious who prepared it since they couldn't bring themselves to turn off the burner. Change and all.

The basic reason for rape is the nature of the beast, that is you and me. I can't speak for all religions but I've never seen "Church of the Rapey" with a "Blessed are the rapists" sermon.

We kill, rape, hurt, and steal because that is who we are. No religion or social construct is needed. Collectively we are marginally better than that which is why we have any progress at all.

Reactions: cytg111