India Successfully Launches its First ICBM - Agni V

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
India has one of the greatest cultures on the planet. They have so many people that even gifts of intellectual capacity that are vanishingly rare will appear there. One Indian living in a mud hut developed almost the entirety of western mathematics on his own there. But there is a disease that infects every people on earth and it is a feeling of inferiority that manifests as conceit and the need to show others that it's actually them who is inferior. This disease is everywhere, never seen when you are the one who has it and you surely do, but quite visible, say, when you look at India and Pakistan, especially to an outsider like me.

To me, Indians and Pakistanis are white people that got lucky and were born with a tan. I can't tell one from the other, or half the rest of the folk on earth either, from that neck of the woods. But they seem to hold each other in bitter contempt and suspect each other of treacherous ideas. Each is so intent on dominating the other, and so fearful of being dominated, that they will spend all the billions they have to to prove to the other they are the superior party. It's like one infinity trying to prove to another infinity that he is the bigger number. But, as I said, the whole planet is insane.

Once you have been indoctrinated with fear, it's very hard to cure. Trust but verify is a nice idea, but what humanity will do is trust but die first.

I look for the day when ones country means nothing compared to the fact that we are all the same.
The ones who want you dead are the Pakistanis; the ones who do not want you dead are the Indians.

/PSA

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
For that they only need a SCBM, not an ICBM. ;)

FTFY

Having all your people fed won't help much if you're being invaded. There are social programs there. I've heard of Ration shops where poor can buy food at a discount (ie 1lb rice for 1 Rupee [50lb for $1])

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
India has one of the greatest cultures on the planet. They have so many people that even gifts of intellectual capacity that are vanishingly rare will appear there. One Indian living in a mud hut developed almost the entirety of western mathematics on his own there. But there is a disease that infects every people on earth and it is a feeling of inferiority that manifests as conceit and the need to show others that it's actually them who is inferior. This disease is everywhere, never seen when you are the one who has it and you surely do, but quite visible, say, when you look at India and Pakistan, especially to an outsider like me.

To me, Indians and Pakistanis are white people that got lucky and were born with a tan. I can't tell one from the other, or half the rest of the folk on earth either, from that neck of the woods. But they seem to hold each other in bitter contempt and suspect each other of treacherous ideas. Each is so intent on dominating the other, and so fearful of being dominated, that they will spend all the billions they have to to prove to the other they are the superior party. It's like one infinity trying to prove to another infinity that he is the bigger number. But, as I said, the whole planet is insane.

Once you have been indoctrinated with fear, it's very hard to cure. Trust but verify is a nice idea, but what humanity will do is trust but die first.

I look for the day when ones country means nothing compared to the fact that we are all the same.

Awesome post. Can I live inside your head for a day?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
India successfully launched its first ICBM fully researched and developed by the DRDO (India's DoD) called the Agni V.

This project has been in development from 1983 and has a capacity of 5000KM. The next stages of the Agni ICBMs will increase range and payload capacity.

Some key info on the Agni V:

India joins an elite club of just four nations: USA, France, Russia, and China that have ICBM capabilities after the successful launch of the Agni V.

Now, that group is 5-strong!

Go India! Jai Hind! :biggrin:

Source: http://www.firstpost.com/india/india-successfully-launches-long-range-missile-agni-v-280321.html

They should have been spending the money on targeted biological warfare, but it's a good step in the right direction.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
The next generation has just been announced by the DRDO:
Agni VI Project
Launch Date Estimate: 2041
It will have a range of 5010 kilometers, a payload of 1.2 tons, is 17.4 m long, 2.1 m wide and weighs 51.3 tons.

...not sure if that's a joke or not considering its predecessor's capability.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
India joins an elite club of just four nations: USA, France, Russia, and China that have ICBM capabilities after the successful launch of the Agni V.

UK doesn't have ICBM capabilities? o_O
Man...Great Britain really IS a shadow of it's former self.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
UK doesn't have ICBM capabilities? o_O
Man...Great Britain really IS a shadow of it's former self.

They dont? I was under the assumption (maybe wrongly I guess?) that the UK had a very credible nuclear deterent against the Soviet Union. I do know for a fact that at the very least, they have long range SLBMs that can reach across great distances. Someone else here who is very knowledgeable on this subject will hopefully chime in to clarify.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
What for they only need to reach Pakistan.

LOL.. Agni I was for deterring Pakistan.

Agni V is for deterring any foe in Asia and eastern Europe. A range of 5000KM with capabilities of striking multiple targets is a missile that is only in the hands of a small clique of nations. Until yesterday, India was not part of it. From yesterday onwards, it is so. What is to be admired also is that the entire research, development, and testing etc. was done in India by Indian scientists.

When people laughed at India predicting its disintegration soon after independence, India gave the world Smiling Buddha; its first atomic weapons test in Pokhran (near Pakistan) in 1974 (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiling_Buddha) by the then lion of India, Indira Gandhi.

Homi Bhabha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homi_J._Bhabha) was the father of Indian nuclear physics. One of the greatest minds to have walked this planet in the last century, he was of a supreme intellect and his adviser was none other than Paul Dirac (of QM note) himself!

India will never use a nuclear weapon for offense and has an arsenal for deterrence against Pakistan and China. China's army is much more powerful than India's and it actually spends far more than disclosed to the public on its military budget annually. India spends 2% of its GDP on its military and still maintains the 3rd largest force in the world with some of the greatest warriors.

To all those talking shit, lick ass and STFU.

Last edited:

Raghu

Aug 28, 2004
Cool. Congrats to India.

Next is a space program. I know a certain super power that can no longer launch its own payloads, so . . .

Already have, launching satellites successfully for quite a while now. The long range missile program is an offshoot of the space program.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
They dont? I was under the assumption (maybe wrongly I guess?) that the UK had a very credible nuclear deterent against the Soviet Union. I do know for a fact that at the very least, they have long range SLBMs that can reach across great distances. Someone else here who is very knowledgeable on this subject will hopefully chime in to clarify.

They have boomers with trident icbm, the uk has icbm capabilities since the late 60's

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The Buddha would be rather upset at using his name for the creation of nuclear weapons. It would be like creating a a biological weapon that melts the eyes out of its victems and calling it The Mahatma Gandhi.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
:thumbsup: ^This.

Wish more Americans would understand that.

Heh
I'm willing to bet if you kept this forum updated on all the going on's in India for a year, most American's here would realized that everything they are scared of in Pakistan, is at least a thousand fold in India.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
The Buddha would be rather upset at using his name for the creation of nuclear weapons. It would be like creating a a biological weapon that melts the eyes out of its victems and calling it The Mahatma Gandhi.

Buddha was a Kshatriya; a prince from the 'warrior' caste yet took the life of a sannyassi (ascetic). Peace should never be mistaken for passivity.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
Heh
I'm willing to bet if you kept this forum updated on all the going on's in India for a year, most American's here would realized that everything they are scared of in Pakistan, is at least a thousand fold in India.

Are you a liberal by any chance? o_O