India Successfully Launches its First ICBM - Agni V

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
On the topic of ICBMs, what is the world's most powerful one? And doesn't the US also have the MIRV?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
We are going to use India as a Chinese containment ally. As dumb as some of the mistakes this country (US) makes, it seems we are VERY smart at using alliances.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
On the topic of ICBMs, what is the world's most powerful one? And doesn't the US also have the MIRV?

The Chinese and Russians use larger warheads, because they are not as accurate as US Minuteman ICBMs. The warheads that allow the multiple air-bursting hydrogen nukes in a diamond pattern (for optumum distruction levels) are by far the most "powerful".

The US ICMBs are only used for MAD strategically. If we were going to use nukes offensively, they would be launched from our Trident submarines, to give the country on the recieving end only minutes to respond.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
The Chinese and Russians use larger warheads, because they are not as accurate as US Minuteman ICBMs. The warheads that allow the multiple air-bursting hydrogen nukes in a diamond pattern (for optumum distruction levels) are by far the most "powerful".

The US ICMBs are only used for MAD strategically. If we were going to use nukes offensively, they would be launched from our Trident submarines, to give the country on the recieving end only minutes to respond.

boomers provide second-strike capabilities, it would be kind of stupid to use them as a first strike weapon.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
India has one of the greatest cultures on the planet. They have so many people that even gifts of intellectual capacity that are vanishingly rare will appear there. One Indian living in a mud hut developed almost the entirety of western mathematics on his own there. But there is a disease that infects every people on earth and it is a feeling of inferiority that manifests as conceit and the need to show others that it's actually them who is inferior. This disease is everywhere, never seen when you are the one who has it and you surely do, but quite visible, say, when you look at India and Pakistan, especially to an outsider like me.

To me, Indians and Pakistanis are white people that got lucky and were born with a tan. I can't tell one from the other, or half the rest of the folk on earth either, from that neck of the woods. But they seem to hold each other in bitter contempt and suspect each other of treacherous ideas. Each is so intent on dominating the other, and so fearful of being dominated, that they will spend all the billions they have to to prove to the other they are the superior party. It's like one infinity trying to prove to another infinity that he is the bigger number. But, as I said, the whole planet is insane.

Once you have been indoctrinated with fear, it's very hard to cure. Trust but verify is a nice idea, but what humanity will do is trust but die first.

I look for the day when ones country means nothing compared to the fact that we are all the same.

Technically they are Caucasian so are Arabs, Persians and Pakistanis. They certainly are not Mongoloid or Negro.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010

Wouldnt tactical nukes also be for offensive strikes as well? I'm assuming the U.S. has quite a few of those in its arsonal.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
Wouldnt tactical nukes also be for offensive strikes as well? I'm assuming the U.S. has quite a few of those in its arsonal.

While they could be used offensively, US war doctrine has historically looked on them as a defensive weapon, mainly to prevent being overrun by a numerically superior force. Of course this was due to the fear of the Soviets over running West Germany with a huge armored force so I'm not sure if they've re-thought the strategy for a post-Cold War world.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Yeah this lady looks so caucasian right? http://robertlindsay.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dravidian-australoid.jpg

So many Indians are in denial about their genetic makeup but phenotype gives it away. North India has admixture but south Indians are as negroid as one can get.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Genotype has far more to do with what you are then phenotype. Phenotype generally determines what you look like and that is basically superficial as using skin color to distinguish between races. In the end genotype (not phenotype) determines what you are in genetics study of groups of people. Furthermore skin color is superficial and not used to determine distinctions between groups of humans.

Last edited:

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
UK doesn't have ICBM capabilities? o_O
Man...Great Britain really IS a shadow of it's former self.

Lets put a few things to rest here shall we? OK...ICBMs. Britain entertained the thought of building ICBMs at the start of the cold war, but instead went with strategic bombers and a submarine nuclear deterrent or SLBMs. Britain just doesn't have the necessary land to effectively scatter ICBM silos across the country like other powers do. They were never an ICBM power.

France no longer wields an ICBM force, pretty sure the silos were decommissioned at the end of the cold war. These two countries only field air and sea launched nuclear weapons.