India offers DSL to the mass for super cheap

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Grunt03
I wonder how many of the people have computers?

well not many. But its increasing rapidly. in large cities a lot of people have computers though

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: raildogg

and no to mention the fact that their speeds are much higher than ours. our broadband companies, DSL and cable are only recently starting to up their speeds, but even with the new speeds we are wayyyyyyy below that of some of Europe and Japan and S Korea

Are you kidding, our Phone Co's have been going out of their way to lower speeds.

DSL lines crippled down and capped at 256K, beyond rediculous when the DSL Modem can do 8 meg down and 1 meg up.

It's bad enough they have capped the speed at 1.5 meg down and 256K up since I helped design the original DSL Modem that met the standard at 6 meg down and 1 meg up.

Why is speed capped to 1.5 down?

for technical and marketing reasons. 1.5meg is the limit of DSL at about 15000 feet. 3meg dsl is commonly available now, with adsl2 being rolled out(25meg).

And dave know that to do 6 meg on current dsl service, you have to be quite close to telco.

Not true, you don't see a dramatic drop off until after 6,000 ft and then it is a gradual decrease.

Qwest opened their ports all the way and many people report 6 meg speeds and close to 1 meg up.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

and no to mention the fact that their speeds are much higher than ours. our broadband companies, DSL and cable are only recently starting to up their speeds, but even with the new speeds we are wayyyyyyy below that of some of Europe and Japan and S Korea

Are you kidding, our Phone Co's have been going out of their way to lower speeds.

DSL lines crippled down and capped at 256K, beyond rediculous when the DSL Modem can do 8 meg down and 1 meg up.

It's bad enough they have capped the speed at 1.5 meg down and 256K up since I helped design the original DSL Modem that met the standard at 6 meg down and 1 meg up.

for technical and marketing reasons. 1.5meg is the limit of DSL at about 15000 feet. 3meg dsl is commonly available now, with adsl2 being rolled out(25meg).

And dave know that to do 6 meg on current dsl service, you have to be quite close to telco.

Not true, you don't see a dramatic drop off until after 6,000 ft and then it is a gradual decrease.

Qwest opened their ports all the way and many people report 6 meg speeds and close to 1 meg up.

Even your far away from the company, lets say 15,000 ft and you subscribe to 6.0/784 dsl, you'll get around 5.5/730 speeds which are amazing.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Even your far away from the company, lets say 15,000 ft and you subscribe to 6.0/784 dsl, you'll get around 5.5/730 speeds which are amazing.

The new ADSL + Chipset can do 25 Meg at 6,000 feet.

Will do the old 8 meg to 25,000 ft

You will still get at least 1 meg out at 35,000 feet.

Most of the old Bell system will be upgrading the DSLAMs to this chipset this year with the intent on rolling out TV over DSL.

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
this dsl news is pretty astounding, india is slowly but steadily pickin the pace in technology, etc. I was born in Chandigarh, Punjab in India but raised in teh Middle EAst in the UAE, which is the most advanced arab nations in teh Middle east..no harsh laws, life is a heaven there...I came to canada after 16 years, and I find little difference here apart from the weather. Ive travelled all over the world and Ive been across India's , norhtern and southern parts...Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Mysore, Utti, Amritsar, Jullandar...I used to go yearly on vacations to India back when i was a kid wiht my family....was cool visitng and sh!t..Indias dirty here n there, but theres also alot of overpopulation and corruption that is steadily declining...but in general I mean the major cities have been pleasant as far as I think..CHandigarh , Bangalore, MYsore, Utti, Shimla...God I cant forget the awesome Lalital Palace we stayed at with my family 7-8 years ago god damn that was something.some coo places to check out and there are many more..Delhi is literally pollutionville..Mumbai's got that ugly moisture climate at times...I love Punjab tho...Ya i seen the best places and the worst places pretty much..been to indian villages etc..India will be at the top in the next 100 years or so..no doubt . I studied CBSE syllabus for 16 years till grade 10...the level of education was fuc_kin intense...8 classes in 1 high school day...I learnt english, arabic, hindi, punjabi, and the other basic sh!t schools teach...believe me that stuff is so much harder than the american or canadian syllabus at high school level...i got a buddy there who did math syllabus in grade 11 that i learnt here at college level...Indians know alot and the education system is a litle fuked up in my opinon...its basically designed to set a student up into 3 careers...Doctor, Engineer or Accountant..that is the CBSE syallabus that is also spread across indian schools in the Middle east...good amount of indians in teh Middle east..ANyways if i ever have enough money in my life, id like to go back and chill in DUbai, UAE if i ever had to go on a vacation...heh and india too.
India has some of the richest mutherfukas tho and the poorest...theres a huge imbalance or an uneven ratio to that...the rich are really rich and the poor are really poor...this is all due to corruption etc...slowly this is resolving..indias much changed from what my buddi tell me what it was 10 years ago...lots of cities have gotten better..Inidan restuarants are king imo..food is great..these are mostly the high class restuarants etc but great shit...I think personally Chandigarh is probably the best city I've seen..bangalore seemed nice too..great greenerie in teh south tho..u can see elephants in the bangalore jungle areas...fukin sight for sore eyes at times heh

AIght i don know where this is all goin...but jus thought id share my comments. ALot of ppl are dumb tho..in general across the world..they think indians dont know english, etc...dang the world history i studied at grade 6 level was incredible...they start teachin bout world war 2 stuff indepth in canadian schools for expample at history 12 level...that makes me go rofl when i learnt that in grade 9

Not to forget to mention..visiting afgahanistan and vast beauty of mongolia in my to do list :p
anyways im out peace, talke it for whatever

Proletariat

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Aimster
My friend just came back from India.

He said that place was a dump. Very dirty. The city and the people were just dirty.
He didn't take a shower for days at a time.

This was in the capital city too.
From your previous posts in this forum and your general attitude it is quite hard for me not to consider you a racist. Are you Pakistani, Iranian or a redneck? A lot of Iranians I have met are backward and just plain racist.

I have in fact been to the capital, New Delhi and it is quite clean. There are dirty parts but every city has those. The Jan Path is, believe it or not, better looking than the American capitol area.

I have also been to Iran, and not only were the people rude, the men were ugly and the women mostly wore burkhas. LOL.

If your friend could not find a shower he may have been an idiot, or just never took showers in the first place. What a douche. I took myself to the MAURYA Sheraton and bathed in a hot tub while eating Kabob from the 3rd best restaurant in the world :)

Anyways, India has a burgeoning middle class that has almost reached 300 million. It has a growing space program and large amounts of IT. It has a huge amount of very differnt ethnic groups which is more than I can say for other asian countries like China where ethnic groups are routinely wiped out by assimilation. It is also the largest democracy in the world and becoming a good friend with America, Israel and Europe. Oh, and Aimster, you know Anand is Indian right?

Indian actresses are HAWT :heart: Can't say that about Iranian women because you can't see their faces, LOL.

http://im.rediff.com/movies/2004/aug/06ash.jpg

Even without the huge amount of makeup American actresses this one is hot:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/...4/images/14raveena.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgre...04-29,GGLD:en%26sa%3DN

A++

I'm not saying India is the greatest ever by all means. It has massive problems, but it looks as if it is on the up and up. Aimster seems to have some problems with that.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Most of the old Bell system will be upgrading the DSLAMs to this chipset this year with the intent on rolling out TV over DSL.

I dont think anyone is advertising adsl2+ to be anywhere near what you have claimed. I have not seen any rated speeds at 25k and the 15k speeds were below 8.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

I dont think anyone is advertising adsl2+ to be anywhere near what you have claimed. I have not seen any rated speeds at 25k and the 15k speeds were below 8.

Ahahaha you're funny. Did the Bells advertise DSL at 6 Meg down 1 meg up all these years, the original spec for DSL?

No, they advertised a watered down to nothing 1.5 meg down 256K up.

They milked that cow until other Countries were serving steak leaving the U.S. in the dust.

Not only that they still continue to milk the poor cow dry now watering the Modems down to 256K down 128K up (See BellSouth $19.95 + bogus fees)

They are advertising the minimum rate at which they feel they can deliver Video content and nothing more.

What a joke.

Typo in article below. Extended reach is 6,000 feet not 600.

ADSL2 boosts data rate and reach

The ADSL2 G.992.3 and G.992.4 standards, recently approved by the International Telecommunication Union, improve data rate and reach performance, dynamic rate adaptation and diagnostics, as well as include a power-saving standby mode. Another forthcoming standard, ADSL2+ (G.992.5), more than doubles the downstream data rate of ADSL to 25M bit/sec.

Better rate and reach: Improved modulation efficiency reduces framing overhead, achieves higher coding gain, improves the initialization state machine, and provides enhanced signal processing algorithms. ADSL2 increases downstream data rates to more than 12M bit/sec, as compared to between 8M and 10M bit/sec for original ADSL. ADSL2 extends reach by approximately 600 feet.

Channelization: ADSL2's channelization capability provides support for Channelized Voice over DSL (CVoDSL), a method to transport derived lines of TDM voice traffic transparently over DSL. CVoDSL transports voice within the physical layer, letting derived voice channels ride over DSL bandwidth while maintaining both plain old telephone service (POTS) and high-speed Internet access.

Bonding for higher data rates: The new standards support the ATM Forum's inverse multiplexing over ATM (IMA) standard developed for traditional ATM architectures. Through IMA, ADSL2 chipsets can bind two or more copper pairs in an ADSL link. The result is fiber-like data rates over existing copper lines.

All-digital mode: An optional mode allows for transmission of data in the POTS portion of the phone line. This adds 256K bit/sec to the upstream data rate, which can be an attractive option for businesses that have voice services on different phone lines and value the additional upstream bandwidth.

Packet-based services: Packet-based services such as Ethernet can be transported over ADSL2.

ADSL2+: The ADSL2+ standard doubles the maximum frequency used for downstream data transmission from 1.1 MHz to 2.2 MHz. This effectively provides downstream data rates of 25M bit/sec on phone lines as long as 5,000 feet.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Ahahaha you're funny. Did the Bells advertise DSL at 6 Meg down 1 meg up all these years, the original spec for DSL?

They milked that cow until other Countries were serving steak leaving the U.S. in the dust.

Not only that they still continue to milk the poor cow dry now watering the Modems down to 256K down 128K up (See BellSouth $19.95 + bogus fees)

They are advertising the minimum rate at which they feel they can deliver Video content and nothing more.

What a joke.

linkage

adsl2+
25mbit at 1500 feet
23mbit at 3500 and starts dropping fast
4mbit at 12,000 feet

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

What a joke.

linkage

adsl2+
25mbit at 1500 feet
4mbit at 12,000 feet

That chart is Bull. See my post above I was putting the REAL data in there when you found the garbage.

You can bet there will be service out to 19,000 ft further depending on the gauge of wire on the end run.

I personally ran DSL tests out to 25,000 feet back in 1996 when I was on the design Team for the worlds first DSL spec compliant DSL Modem, the Alcatel 1000.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

What a joke.

linkage

adsl2+
25mbit at 1500 feet
4mbit at 12,000 feet

That chart is Bull. See my post above I was putting the REAL data in there when you found the garbage.

You can bet there will be service out to 19,000 ft further depending on the gauge of wire on the end run.

I personally ran DSL tests out to 25,000 feet back in 1996 when I was on the design Team for the worlds first DSL spec compliant DSL Modem, the Alcatel 1000.

Well dave there seems to be a big disconnect between reality and what you are describing. There is not a single telco that will provide adsl service outside of 17,500 feet. If it reliably worked out to 25,000 I have little doubt ithe telcos would running it that far, but they are not. As of right now the telco are scrambling and spending billions in the process shorten the loop length.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

What a joke.

linkage

adsl2+
25mbit at 1500 feet
4mbit at 12,000 feet

Well dave there seems to be a big disconnect between reality and what you are describing. There is not a single telco that will provide adsl service outside of 17,500 feet. If it reliably worked out to 25,000 I have little doubt ithe telcos would running it that far, but they are not. As of right now the telco are scrambling and spending billions in the process shorten the loop length.

There are many people on DSL outside of 17,500 feet, go to Broadband reports and talk to them.

I have personally hooked up many people outside of that 17.5K, they're not getting 1.5 meg nor were they expecting 1.5 meg, these are people happy to be off dial up. They got anywhere from the 256K minimum to 768K, some even get 1.5 meg and occasionally drop back to 768K but it would come back to 1.5 meg sometimes too. No matter what, they were happy. But go ahead keep the wool over your eyes.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

What a joke.

linkage

adsl2+
25mbit at 1500 feet
4mbit at 12,000 feet

There are many people on DSL outside of 17,500 feet, go to Broadband reports and talk to them.

I have personally hooked up many people outside of that 17.5K, they're not getting 1.5 meg nor were they expecting 1.5 meg, these are people happy to be off dial up. They got anywhere from the 256K minimum to 768K, some even get 1.5 meg and occasionally drop back to 768K but it would come back to 1.5 meg sometimes too. No matter what, they were happy. But go ahead keep the wool over your eyes.

Dave, please list the telcos you did installs of adsl at greater than 17,500 feet. All that I know of, do not. I do beleive sdsl and idsl to have greater reach, but at much lower speeds. But you post proves my point,while adsl my possible at 25,000 its reliability greatly drops after 17,500.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

What a joke.

linkage

adsl2+
25mbit at 1500 feet
4mbit at 12,000 feet

Dave, please list the telcos you did installs of adsl at greater than 17,500 feet. All that I know of, do not. I do beleive sdsl and idsl to have greater reach, but at much lower speeds. But you post proves my point,while adsl my possible at 25,000 its reliability greatly drops after 17,500.

Verizon, SBC, BellSouth, Quest and other smaller carriers hung off the Big boys.

People got their Modems through me because the Bells hemmed and hawed because they didn't want to go over the 17.5K. Not one person was dissatisfied that they got off of dial up in favor of the DSL.

I never said ADSL2+ would do 25 Meg at 25K, I simply said it extends the reach of existing DSL quite a bit. The only factor mitigating how far you can go is the gauge and quality of the end run.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

What a joke.

linkage

adsl2+
25mbit at 1500 feet
4mbit at 12,000 feet

Verizon, SBC, BellSouth, Quest and other smaller carriers hung off the Big boys.

People got their Modems through me because the Bells hemmed and hawed because they didn't want to go over the 17.5K. Not one person was dissatisfied that they got off of dial up in favor of the DSL.

I never said ADSL2+ would do 25 Meg at 25K, I simply said it extends the reach of existing DSL quite a bit. The only factor mitigating how far you can go is the gauge and quality of the end run.

And how much effort did it take to get them setup a dsl line over 17.5?

I have little doubt they were happy to get off dialup. I had idsl for about 2 years when i lived in a broad band hole.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

What a joke.

linkage

adsl2+
25mbit at 1500 feet
4mbit at 12,000 feet

And how much effort did it take to get them setup a dsl line over 17.5?

I have little doubt they were happy to get off dialup. I had idsl for about 2 years when i lived in a broad band hole.

No extra effort. Just made sure they use 1 DSL Filter instead of 5.

Each filter adds the equivalent of 750 feet to the line.