Independence from what country?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Originally posted by: jadinolf
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: potoba
oh, and is Vietnam the correct answer? :D</end quote></div>

I think it was Iceland.

No, you got it all wrong. Americans were fighting the Ruskies, remember? I'm just gona go with Independence from Russia. Duh :D

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: CKent
Nah. Our perception of beauty is a makeup covered 36-24-36 queen. Most women aren't too fat to wear a girdle or too ugly to cover it with makeup, and they can all pad their bras. In short, beauty isn't innate. It's achievable for most women if they work at it. And it attracts the stupid ones, because they know they'll never achieve success in any form basaed on what's between their ears. I've seen plenty of women who society would deem gorgeous if they dressed the part, but instead they shun makeup, choose loose fitting clothes, choose glasses over contacts, etc. - and slip right under the radar, as planned.

That's awfully self-important. While you're obviously trying to use less confrontational wording, what you've written amounts to:

"Society can't see true beauty so stupid women fake the cultural definition of beauty. I, CKent, however, am intelligent enough to see beyond this and appreciate that intelligent women shun this culturally-defined 'beauty'."

It also contains the hidden premise that a woman cannot be both intelligent and culturally "beautiful".

ZV

Pretty much.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CKent
Nah. Our perception of beauty is a makeup covered 36-24-36 queen. Most women aren't too fat to wear a girdle or too ugly to cover it with makeup, and they can all pad their bras. In short, beauty isn't innate. It's achievable for most women if they work at it. And it attracts the stupid ones, because they know they'll never achieve success in any form basaed on what's between their ears. I've seen plenty of women who society would deem gorgeous if they dressed the part, but instead they shun makeup, choose loose fitting clothes, choose glasses over contacts, etc. - and slip right under the radar, as planned.</end quote></div>

That's awfully self-important. While you're obviously trying to use less confrontational wording, what you've written amounts to:

"Society can't see true beauty so stupid women fake the cultural definition of beauty. I, CKent, however, am intelligent enough to see beyond this and appreciate that intelligent women shun this culturally-defined 'beauty'."

It also contains the hidden premise that a woman cannot be both intelligent and culturally "beautiful".

ZV</end quote></div>

Pretty much.

While you are at it, doesn't this seem to apply to men too? (as in athletic/geek)

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: lyssword
Nah. Our perception of beauty is a makeup covered 36-24-36 queen. Most women aren't too fat to wear a girdle or too ugly to cover it with makeup, and they can all pad their bras. In short, beauty isn't innate. It's achievable for most women if they work at it. And it attracts the stupid ones, because they know they'll never achieve success in any form basaed on what's between their ears. I've seen plenty of women who society would deem gorgeous if they dressed the part, but instead they shun makeup, choose loose fitting clothes, choose glasses over contacts, etc. - and slip right under the radar, as planned.

ZV

Pretty much.

While you are at it, doesn't this seem to apply to men too? (as in athletic/geek)

After a bit of thought, I'd have to say that while there are similarities, it isn't the same. Women have the same / similar standards of beauty, while a skinny muscleless guy can get plenty of women if he treats them badly, dropped out of high school and rides a harley. I mean, I guess there are fetishists into fat women and such, but it's not as prevalent. And regardless, women who don't fit into the category of acceptable+ face a certain stigma, while men do not.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: sdifox
Originally posted by: Baloo
That is such a vague question, her answer would appear correct. Here's some more: Spain, Russia, France, England, and the list goes on and on. Go ahead, ask a stranger, "Independence from what country?" OP, she was not confused, you were. You can safely say she is not psychic, or else she would have read your mind to determine the specifics of your question.

You don't think it being Fourth of July would indicate the country in question?

He's probably just trying to cover that he doesn't know either.

ZV

That would be kind of hard to swallow. Like the hot dogs.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Brilliant, hot women are out there but they're hard to find. Trouble is, once you find one you'll eventually end up wishing she was dumb anyway.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Astaroth33
My theory is that good looking women have no incentive whatsoever to develop intelligence (whatever potential for which they have due to genetics), due to the fact that they already get plenty of attention from guys.</end quote></div>

And then the hot quarterback makes a bet that he can turn her into the prom queen as a joke, but then realizes that's she's really a special girl and then they fall in love, happily ever after!

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
My theory is that good looking women have no incentive whatsoever to develop intelligence (whatever potential for which they have due to genetics), due to the fact that they already get plenty of attention from guys.

And then the hot quarterback makes a bet that he can turn her into the prom queen as a joke, but then realizes that's she's really a special girl and then they fall in love, happily ever after!

:laugh:

Nothing quite so cheesy. It seems painfully obvious that beauty's manufactured. Just post a pic of Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Elisha Cuthbert, etc. - without makeup - to ATOT. Watch the cries of "ZOMG!11!!" ensue, people asking what happened, what drugs they're taking, etc.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Ferocious
I wasn't planning on logging on today, but this was just too much to keep to myself. And btw, this is really happened!

I just got back from a barbecue where I asked a nice looking blonde (picture Lisa Kudrow) this very question. Note: she graduated from a private Catholic school with above a 2.0 average.

She sorted felt embarrassed that she was having trouble thinking of the answer. After a minute, she caved in and said.....Egypt?

Wow.

Ummm.. when I picture hot chicks, Lisa Kudrow is nowhere to be found... :roll:

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: lyssword
Originally posted by: jadinolf
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: potoba
oh, and is Vietnam the correct answer? :D</end quote></div>

I think it was Iceland.

No, you got it all wrong. Americans were fighting the Ruskies, remember? I'm just gona go with Independence from Russia. Duh :D

Where were you when I needed help with this question?

It was the Russians.