Incredibly stupid AOL scam

xchangx

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
Hey, I got this e-mail a second ago and I just had to share it.

Dear AOL Member,

We regret to inform you that your credit information in our computers shows you are using aol under an expired credit card. If you would like to continue your AOL experience you will have to visit the

AOL Credit Update area and give us your most recent credit information.

Failure to respond to this message within 48 hours may cause your account to be suspended and/or terminated. If you would like to contact us by phone with this information please call: 1-888-265-8003.

AOL TOS Billing Division

HOST Code ID: 1Z6510310023007

© Copyright 1995-2000 America Online, Inc. All Rights Reserved

The web page sent you to an angelfire web site. Angelfire has already shut the page down.
How stupid....

ChangAOL Credit Update

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
And you didn't realize that the site was a ".cjb.net" site to begin with?! That's one of the biggest URL masking sites I've ever found...

Oct 9, 1999
report it to AOL.
Atleast they can take action on that.. even though they never did anything for AT forums.

jimmygates

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
hahaha

"The page you are attempting to access has been removed
because it violated Angelfire's Terms of Service."

I guess someone got busted...hah

-Jimbo

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
everybody at work uses AOL. I tried telling them "cancel the second phone line..cancel the AOL and then you actually SAVE money and can get a cable connection" One guy saw the error of his ways, but then proceeded to buy a Mac :(, but I got the " You mean I don't need AOL?" response from others.

Zedfu

Sep 26, 2000
some dudes are just so clueless...is it that much harder to go fetch informations yourself instead of having them all in one place like aol does? besides, the damn thing's so slow. also aol's really ticking me off by already sending 12 installation cds so far! :|.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Zedfu,

We will get you don't worry.

These types of AOL scams are sent out all the time. The phone number is really the billing number which is why these suckers fall for it. They don't check the web address.

bahhhh!!!! Is right. I like to keep them that way to. Would you rather these morons go to other internet services and tie up the techs there with their non internet questions?

Member: My printer isn't working
Me: What did your printer company say?
Member: I didn't call them because it is a long distance number.
Me: Well I'm sorry there is nothing I can do for you.
Member: You can't help me at all?
Me: No I can't.
Member: Well you're not very helpful.
Me: That's ok. You're not very bright. Have a nice day.

Ok. So part of that last line from me is false.:)

Moogle

Nov 29, 2000
Don't complain about free AOL CD's

If they stopped sending them my entire company would suddenly have nothing on which to put their coffee cups on :)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Oh man you didn't think that was real did you? Official emails from AOL have a blue icon instead of the regular one. I get stuff like that all the time. I just got one today that said my profile violated TOS and gave me a site to go to to fix it...come on that's just sad.

Zedfu

Sep 26, 2000
well, i should get grateful for free cds. hey, they do make pretty good frisbees, you know! :)

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
antisocial, that's the same way my family is...wait, you mean i can get online and on the internet without aol....???? how can i do that?????

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I got a Sympatico CD (worthless to me) in the mail recently. I scratched it up some, threw it around like a frisbee, and used it as a coaster. Just as good as the real thing (AOL CDs). ;)

AOL is really a PITA though.

-RSI

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The only reason these scams are so rampant is that a good percentage of the target audience is too stupid to take a crap without a reminder.

Russ, NCNE

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
I nearly fell for something like that back in the day.

I had my mom's CC, it was in the box, then I say, &quot;Wait a second there's no security...<RIGHT CLICK...PROPERTIES>WTF?! This is NOT an AOL site!&quot; It had the EXACT same layout as an AOL site and since it opened in the AOL window I couldn't see the name (i think the name in the address bar was the title of the site or something weird like that)!

I bet that whoever made the one that I nearly fell for (about 2-2.5 years ago) got a LOT of CC#s. Actually, what got me to believe it at first was the AOL Screen Name: BillingAOL50 or something. Then I got a TOUCH suspicious when they said not to respond to this email address because it was temporary. Hmmm...I should have been more suspicious, but at midnight after a long week of school, you can fall for anything. :eek: Heh, later that night I got the same email from BillingAOL51 or something. LOL