Incredible failure of states gun laws: dealer sells gun used to murder sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
*Edit* Ok, so it appears that the original version of the story has been changed.

Next time, I will quote the body of the article instead of just providing a link. Lesson learned.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
well to be fair, there is no guarantee the dealer would have actually followed a gun law.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Incredible failure of states gun laws: dealer sells gun used to murder sheriff

If this is an "incredible failure," what does that make the hundreds or thousands of murders annually in Chicago, DC, and other places where guns are strictly regulated if not outright prohibited? I'm curious to see how you categorize that and which adjective you'd care to use.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
If that seller broke existing laws, how would new laws keep anyone else from doing the same? :confused:

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
If this is an "incredible failure," what does that make the hundreds or thousands of murders annually in Chicago, DC, and other places where guns are strictly regulated if not outright prohibited? I'm curious to see how you categorize that and which adjective you'd care to use.

How would I characterize it? "Incredible failure."

Most guns used by criminals are obtained either through straw buyers or corrupt dealers.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I'll play. What W. Va Democrat law would have prevented this?

Hint: the existence of a law or who wrote it has nothing to do with why it is or isn't followed.

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
If that seller broke existing laws, how would new laws keep anyone else from doing the same? :confused:

The dealer didn't he ran the background check according to the link, he wasn't properly added to the database. It's a failure of whatever government agency was responsible for updating the system. Nothing about this screams for more knee jerk legislation.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
I'm looking at the story now, it appears the original version was edited.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
The dealer didn't he ran the background check according to the link, he wasn't properly added to the database. It's a failure of whatever government agency was responsible for updating the system. Nothing about this screams for more knee jerk legislation.

I think the article mentions W.VA doesn't have a strict requirement to transfer mentally ill patients to a gun registry in a timely fashion. So a useful piece of legislation would be to require that database to be updated with mental illness patients within a certain time frame or fine the entity that fails to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.