Incredible Beer & Ice Cream Diet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
yeP, I come from a land of metric measures & centigrade & celsius are the same thing & completely interchangable.

As far as measuring weights, mass or length/height, the term centigrade is never used. Its only used when measuring tempature - centi, comes from the latin for 100, & with the metric system the tempeture between freezing & boiling (either at sea level or or the altitude of the River Seine in Paris - I forget which, but there's buggerall difference) is made up of 100 units of measurement, hence centigrade (graduated 100 times)

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
element®:

1 gram fat = 9 calories
1 gram protein = 4 calories
1 gram carbohydrate = 4 calories
1 gram alcohol = 7 calories
1 gram prevention = 16 grams cure

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I have a great plan on losing weight!

Lets all live in the Artic butt nekkid!!! ;)

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
thanks ww

also
1 gram of WW=1 amazing woman

all of the grams of WW=1 heck of an amazing woman

RentaCow

Oct 10, 1999
Good work Wombat. Absolutely hilarious...

But I hate to be the first one to provide the truth in the matter.

That diet WON'T work... Sorry... Here is why (for all of you out there that read that and are puzzled as to how that could be):
1 calorie can heat 1 gram of water 1 degree Celcius
BUT
1 Calorie can heat 1 gram of water 1000 degrees Celcius.

That is one peice of confusing nomenclature... Food is rated in Calories (with the capital "c") and are equivalent to 1000 regular SI calories (with a small "c").

So by your mathematics (otherwise appears valid), heating up the pudding dessert takes only a mere 6.2 Calories (food Calories, fat Calories, whatever). And the pudding contained 1200 latent Calories as you claimed...

As for that other nomenclature issue, "centigrade" is no longer an acceptable terminology when refferring to values of absolute temperature. The correct SI term is Celcius. The Celcius unit of measurement is NOT subdivided into a 100 unit scale...

Temperatures measured in Celcius can be as low as -273.15 Degrees Celcius (absolute zero), and can go as high as theoretically "infinity minus one" (even though that is a rediculous terminology). Of course, you could never heat any matter to temperatures near infinity. And of course nothingness/vaccum doesn't have a "temperature" associated with it...

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
ah now I remember the Calorie=1 kilocalorie fact. I knew there was an explaination coming soon...hehe

Hey if they changed centigrade to celsius, they should change Calorie to Kalorie or something. This way there would be no confusion. But then there would be no jokes such as the one above and that would suck too, so oh well.

So is the scientific community not changing the name in the interest of joke making? And while we're at it, lets change completely over to the metric system already.

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
RentaCow and yakko, out of curiosity, I used a search engine (WebFerret) to find references to centigrade/Celsius, and of 50 citations, only two agreed with you that centigrade is no longer an acceptable terminology. The other 48 used the terms interchangeably; although most indicated a modern preference for "Celsius," there was no indication that "centigrade" had become substandard usage.
As long as we are picking nits, RentaCow, you have misspelled "Celsius" throughout your post. :p

drboogie

Banned
Jun 9, 2000
WOW!!! It's another alcoholic beverage thread that went unlocked! This one even endorses name brands!

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
If any of you paid attention in physics class, you would have seen this problem.

For more fun search for "the temperature of Hell". It's more interesting.

biohazard2

Banned
May 1, 2000
hmmm I'm half way there... beer and pizza, chinese, BBQ, BK, Taco Bell, Tuby's (not sure if they're only local), and anything I don't have to catch at 7-11. Maybe I can just go on beer and icecream... hm how about a beer float, like those horrible things they have at A&W? I have to try that one tonight.

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
The term centigrade, does come from the fact that the metric unit of meeasuring temperature - celcius - has a 100 unit scale between freezing & boiling temperature.(either at sea level or at the altitude of the River Seine in Paris - I forget with, theres ah heck all difference between those 2 altitudes anyway).

Fact is RentaCow, if you lived in a English speaking country, that actually has updated to the metric system, you'd know that centigrade & celsius are interchangable & both are ok. I can out nitpick you any day.