Increase workload but not overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHIROI RAKUEN

Feb 18, 2013
I just wanted to know what I should do to have my CPU & GPU work at near 100%

Attention : This has noting to do with overclocking. Just plain & simple, give more stress to the GPU(& CPU if needed...)

I have seen many people with their GPU only working at 50-60%, even on games like Crysis 3... so I just want to know how to be sure it works at highest % possible.

Thx

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
Couldn't you increase workload by adding more work...? and why would you want to do this?

Disable vsync?
Run more than 1 program that heavily stresses either (or both) CPU and GPU at the same time?

Some people want a completely smooth gaming experience all the time, which is possible by playing with reduced settings (and enabling vsync/triple buffering if there's noticeable screen tearing) such that the game rarely utilizes the CPU or GPU fully. If under normal circumstances your processor is loaded 90-100%, you will get reduced FPS in processing heavy scenes.

I doubt these people are running max settings at a high resolution with MSAA x8 enabled, unless they are using a multi-GPU setup, and with multi-GPU setups, there are going to be times where 1 of the many GPUs are running at less than full load.

-----
fyi: Overclocking would technically reduce the GPU/CPU utilization unless you're already exceeding 100%. Underclocking would allow you to reach 100% load situations more easily.

Last edited:

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
Assuming that your video card has some sort of compute ability, a distributed computing task that can take advantage of that ability should max out your CPU&GPU as long as your I/Os are fast enough. BOINC should have a few distributed computing tasks that should fit the bill.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I have seen many people with their GPU only working at 50-60%, even on games like Crysis 3... so I just want to know how to be sure it works at highest % possible.

When I read this part, the first thing that came to my mind was (what many refer to as) bottleneck.

If a game is only pushing your video card at 50%, the CPU is probably holding it back. It could be the design of the game, could be the slowness of the CPU, or some of both.

This is one of the reasons people like the ability to overclock. In the Crysis scenario, overclocking the CPU would allow the game to run better, and (possibly) more evenly distribute the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.