Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
they didn't, the 2nd has 'well regulated militia' as part of its wording which the right likes to ignore.

Not only that but they spelled out what the well regulated militia was in the constitution itself under article 1 section 8 clause 15 & 16.

Add to that the fact that they also specifically laid out what and when the militias were to be utilized.

So it’s really amazing to me how the 2nd could mean anything other than the federal government having no ability to restrict arms from the states or how the purpose of the 2nd was to protect the states from foreign and domestic acts including things like insurrections and rebellions.

The federalist society Supreme Court’s perversion of the 2nd would have the founders rolling in their graves as it’s created a situation where states can no longer protect themselves or their citizens.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Not only that but they spelled out what the well regulated militia was in the constitution itself under article 1 section 8 clause 15 & 16.

Add to that the fact that they also specifically laid out what and when the militias were to be utilized.

So it’s really amazing to me how the 2nd could mean anything other than the federal government having no ability to restrict arms from the states or how the purpose of the 2nd was to protect the states from foreign and domestic acts including things like insurrections and rebellions.

The federalist society Supreme Court’s perversion of the 2nd would have the founders rolling in their graves as it’s created a situation where states can no longer protect themselves or their citizens.

Yeah it really pisses me off that Scalia's legacy is "The civil war answered one question.. states cannot protect themselves or leave the union".

Fucking hell.. he totally ignored they attacked the union at Ft. Sumter rather than try and leave without attacking.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Well the plot sickens.
yk9sjdY.jpeg

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
they didn't, the 2nd has 'well regulated militia' as part of its wording which the right likes to ignore.

IANAL of any kind, but could it not be argued that the meaning is that in order to have such a well-regulated militia potentially available, it's necessary to allow private citizens to have and use guns, so that they would be capable of functioning in a miliita when required? Rather than it meaning they should only have the guns when serving as part of such a militia.

I mean, I don't really know what it means, I don't know why there are so many commas in that sentence for one thing (that make it hard to parse). The whole Constitution seems like a load of badly-expressed overly-flowery nonsense to me, that omits all the things that really matter (like voting, or, in its original version, slavery being bad) while making a huge song-and-dance out of side-issues that ought to be left to future generations to decide for themselves (like guns). You need to tear it up and start again, IMO.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
IANAL of any kind, but could it not be argued that the meaning is that in order to have such a well-regulated militia potentially available, it's necessary to allow private citizens to have and use guns, so that they would be capable of functioning in a miliita when required? Rather than it meaning they should only have the guns when serving as part of such a militia.

I mean, I don't really know what it means, I don't know why there are so many commas in that sentence for one thing (that make it hard to parse). The whole Constitution seems like a load of badly-expressed overly-flowery nonsense to me, that omits all the things that really matter (like voting, or, in its original version, slavery being bad) while making a huge song-and-dance out of side-issues that ought to be left to future generations to decide for themselves (like guns). You need to tear it up and start again, IMO.

The whole point of a militia is that the government controls it. In the case of the 2nd, the constitution spells out that congress sets the regulations that the militias must adhere to and the states get to choose who does the training. So no, a person doesn’t need to be self taught as they would have been trained anyway.

Also, if you dig deeper, you will see that at the time of our founding many states already had some restrictions on guns, such as when and where you can use them, including with regards to self defense. After the 2nd was added the number of laws and restrictions at the state level increased. Many state constitutions made reference to only being allowed to carry guns while performing militia duties. Also at the time, “people’s” was often meant as a collective or as the state and not just individuals.

Reactions: pmv and Pohemi

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The whole point of a militia is that the government controls it. In the case of the 2nd, the constitution spells out that congress sets the regulations that the militias must adhere to and the states get to choose who does the training. So no, a person doesn’t need to be self taught as they would have been trained anyway.

Also, if you dig deeper, you will see that at the time of our founding many states already had some restrictions on guns, such as when and where you can use them, including with regards to self defense. After the 2nd was added the number of laws and restrictions at the state level increased. Many state constitutions made reference to only being allowed to carry guns while performing militia duties. Also at the time, “people’s” was often meant as a collective or as the state and not just individuals.
Flag on the play: historical context that does not fit with the mythology created by the conservative members of the court.

The Bible clearly states that Jesus and George Washington gave guns to the first settlers in America and told them that going forward anyone could have a gun at anytime for any reason and it was the only way to own the libtards. Vast quantities of unnecessary deaths from guns were just a way of determining who was holy enough to be pro life.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006
Flag on the play: historical context that does not fit with the mythology created by the conservative members of the court.

The Bible clearly states that Jesus and George Washington have guns to the first settlers in America and told them that going forward anyone could have a gun at anytime for any reason and it was the only way to own the libtards. Vast quantities of unnecessary deaths from guns were just a way of determining who was holy enough to be pro life.

Flag on the play: You left out the most important bit. When the continental army took over the airports during the revolutionary war.

• Haha
Reactions: ZGR and Pohemi

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Flag on the play: You left out the most important bit. When the continental army took over the airports during the revolutionary war.

let’s not forget that the guns Washington and Jesus gave them were state of the art. They could hold musket ball clips capable of firing hundreds of rounds per minute

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Lets not act like this isn't the GQP's wet dream of an event here. One of their own (GQP official's entitled offspring) uses their penis extension of choice to off some of their most hated demographic. Yeah, they're enjoying this behind the scenes.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Presser earlier on the Club Q shooting

CNN and MSNBC covered live. Fox didn’t cover at all. I guess that would buck the right wing anti LGBTQ agenda

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Fox News and the majority of the GQP party are responsible for this. Not just by doing nothing about gun violence but also about playing fear and terror tactics about the LGBTQ community.

The blood is really on the hands of tens of millions of Americans that voted for the pieces of shit that make up the majority of the GQP party

Reactions: Pohemi and HomerJS

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
An unarmed Army vet and a drag queen in heels are more effective than the police which is not exactly a surprise to me personally.

he and his wife own a small brewery

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
he and his wife own a small brewery

cool website, cool gear!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Presser earlier on the Club Q shooting

CNN and MSNBC covered live. Fox didn’t cover at all. I guess that would buck the right wing anti LGBTQ agenda
Tucker was on a roll last night, as if nothing new has happened. He was ranting, thought maybe he was having an epileptic fit. I'm like the opposite of most people, I don't like to look at bad accidents so I just flipped by.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It’s amazing isn’t it? The one right that was supposed to guarantee us freedom is the one right that is keeping us from being free. But I guess that’s how the founding fathers wanted it, otherwise how could the federalist society judges come to any other conclusion other than an armed society with little to no restrictions? /s
There was no military back when the 2A was passed. It's a very different country now.