In WinXP w/ a 500 mhz AMD cpu and a Voodoo Banshee card, why would video lag behind sound?

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
Any ideas?

Is the video card too slow to handle movie files?

I defragged my HDs but that didnt help (used Norton Speed Disk). The movies will play fine for maybe 10 - 15 mins then all of a sudden the video portion will start to go in what seems to be slo-mo as the audio portion goes fine.

The video will never lag behind too far though because it will skip frames to sort of keep up with the audio.

Any ideas? Could the processor or something be overheating?

I downloaded and updated the drivers for the video card but that didnt work either.

Help?

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
that happened to me before... i do not really remember all too clearly what i did to resolve the problem tho. what app are u using to watch ur video? i was watching a divx with media player 6.4 and i think using the divx player 2.0 alpha helped a bit.

BmXStuD

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2003
xp needs atleast 256mb ram i say and everyone to run smooth,. 128mb is bad gret win2k

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) If you're running a K6-2 500mhz then you're probably lacking RAM bandwidth (that doubles with the K6-III & quadruples with an Athlon), a 450mhz CPU is rec for DVD playback (MPEG4 like DivX is even more demanding), you may need hw help from a dedicated PCI card or Rad/GF4MX gfx card. Running WinXP on a 500mhz CPU with 128MB is NOT smart at all, look seriously at mroe RAM at the very least if not a faster CPU too!

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by: AnAndAustin
;) If you're running a K6-2 500mhz then you're probably lacking RAM bandwidth (that doubles with the K6-III & quadruples with an Athlon), a 450mhz CPU is rec for DVD playback (MPEG4 like DivX is even more demanding), you may need hw help from a dedicated PCI card or Rad/GF4MX gfx card. Running WinXP on a 500mhz CPU with 128MB is NOT smart at all, look seriously at mroe RAM at the very least if not a faster CPU too!

I don't have WinXP....

???? I don't think I understood a word you just said. Where's my bf when you need him?? :(

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Where's my bf when you need him?? :(

I don't need your BF :Q.

More info on what you are using for viewing these movies would be appreciated. Are they AVI files that are being viewed through windows media player or did you put a DVD in and now it is choking? If you are running Windows XP, you can open up your task manager and see if the computer is choking due to lack of ram.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
:eek: Originally this thread was titled "In WinXP w/ a 500 mhz AMD cpu and a Voodoo Banshee card, why would video lag behind sound?" which is still used when I recieve the emails notifying me of additonal posts.

:( Basicly any 500mhz CPU is pretty borderline unless you have some hw support, and that's only normally for std formats like MPEG1, MPEG2, VCD, SVCD and DVD. There are many types of 500mhz CPU, PII(?), PIII, Duron(?), Athlon, Cyrix, K6-2 and K6-III and there's a fair dif between them, some will definitely struggle when decoding both video and sound in real time. What CPU and motherboard you use also dictates what upgrade paths you have, unless you're only interested in std formats upping the CPU and RAM would be wise.

:D So even more basicly, it is most likely that your CPU is too slow for what you're demanding of it. You could therefore add something to assist your CPU in the decoding like a dedicated PCI card or better gfx card with DVD/MPEG decoding built in. Otherwise adding a bit more RAM (even 64MB) would certainly help, as would the most obvious upgrade, a CPU.

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by: AnAndAustin
:eek: Originally this thread was titled "In WinXP w/ a 500 mhz AMD cpu and a Voodoo Banshee card, why would video lag behind sound?" which is still used when I recieve the emails notifying me of additonal posts.

:( Basicly any 500mhz CPU is pretty borderline unless you have some hw support, and that's only normally for std formats like MPEG1, MPEG2, VCD, SVCD and DVD. There are many types of 500mhz CPU, PII(?), PIII, Duron(?), Athlon, Cyrix, K6-2 and K6-III and there's a fair dif between them, some will definitely struggle when decoding both video and sound in real time. What CPU and motherboard you use also dictates what upgrade paths you have, unless you're only interested in std formats upping the CPU and RAM would be wise.

:D So even more basicly, it is most likely that your CPU is too slow for what you're demanding of it. You could therefore add something to assist your CPU in the decoding like a dedicated PCI card or better gfx card with DVD/MPEG decoding built in. Otherwise adding a bit more RAM (even 64MB) would certainly help, as would the most obvious upgrade, a CPU.

Oh...I'm sorry!! My boyfriend made this thread...I think he forgot that I don't have winxp....I have win2k...ehh. Sorry. I'll ask him to check this thread..and hopefully he'll reply or whatever. Sorry for the mixup!