"In Virginia at the age of 13, you can buy a revolver at a supermarket."

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
10% of America is depressed and you want to punish them for the acts of a mere handful of people who snapped?

Your sick yourself, please seek professional help.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: JD50
Ok this gun grabber hysteria is getting old. How about you guys start showing some proof that CCW holders are running around committing tons of crime or just STFU mmmkay?

I'm sorry that you people are so damned terrified of guns, go learn how to use one and protect yourself if you are that damn scared of everyone around you. You gun grabbers are rediculous.

I keep looking for these posts where people are claiming CCW holders are "running around committing tons of crime"? Not sure where you are seeing them, but you are not the first to make such claims so you are in good company. Who says this?

I can't comment on your second statement because tbh, I don't know what you are going on about people being scared of everyone around them. Again who said that?

I know the reason I carry one to and from work is because I have a healthy fear of the people crawling the streets of downtown Detroit after dark. Hell, even when the sun is up I don't trust anyone down there but to this day, I have never had to even show it thankfully.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Ok this gun grabber hysteria is getting old. How about you guys start showing some proof that CCW holders are running around committing tons of crime or just STFU mmmkay?

I'm sorry that you people are so damned terrified of guns, go learn how to use one and protect yourself if you are that damn scared of everyone around you. You gun grabbers are rediculous.

I keep looking for these posts where people are claiming CCW holders are "running around committing tons of crime"? Not sure where you are seeing them, but you are not the first to make such claims so you are in good company. Who says this?

I can't comment on your second statement because tbh, I don't know what you are going on about people being scared of everyone around them. Again who said that?

I know the reason I carry one to and from work is because I have a healthy fear of the people crawling the streets of downtown Detroit after dark. Hell, even when the sun is up I don't trust anyone down there but to this day, I have never had to even show it thankfully.

Well you might want to go back and reread all of the threads about this that have the gun grabbers going all nuts. They seem to think that more people carrying concealed weapons would result in more crime and more shootings. Where is the evidence to back that up?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: spittledip
Originally posted by: Specop 007
People lives should prevail over rights. People are more intent on keeping their "rights" protected than the lives of others. That is what it comes down to. Making gun laws tougher should not be such a battle if it means the possibility of saving lives.

edit: I don't think banning all guns is the answer b/c protection against criminals is an excellent reason to own a firearm.

How are lives saved by giving up rights? Less rhetoric please.

Simple. By making tougher gun control laws. More stringent requirements to gettting a gun. Apparently in some states any old joker can get a gun. this needs to be fixed.

Proof to these claims?
I only ask because its WRONG. Theres federal requirements to buying a firearm, but I love hearing the uneducated go on and on

You are making insults on such a silly subject? I am surprised you need proof when we just had someone with mental health issues and was a danger to self and others easily purchase a firearm and shoot up a university. This is why the subject of gun control was brought up.

More thinking, less knee-jerking please.

excellent rebuttal.

I thought so too. You can always tell a knee-jerker by the way he points at a complex problem and says the solution is "simple." MY GOD WHY DIDN'T ANY OF THE REST OF US SEE THIS BEFORE!! Obviously we did. There are a lot of older and wiser people in this world than you and I, and many of them have spent their entire lives trying to prevent tragedies such as this. So your knee-jerking is not only counter-productive to finding actual solutions, it's extremely insulting as well.

"People who want to take this event 24 hours afterwards and make this their political hobbyhorse, I've got nothing but loathing for them." -- Tim Kaine, Governor (D) of Virigina, 4/17/07

http://www.stategunlaws.org/viewstate.php?st=VA

There is nothing requiring check of state of mental health. This is a key factor in all killings like the VT incident. It is not a complex point, but no one has addressed it as of yet. I have made this point several times (oops, on a different thread). Criminal background checks are not enough as it seems that people with criminal records are not the people engaging in these VT type massacres. Also, I am not a gun-control nut, and don't care too much about this issue, but it seems that many people on this forum are so hell-bent on protecting their rights over protecting the lives of others. I posted before that guns should be allowed for protection against criminals, so i am not anti-gun.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
link

University officials said the school then obtained a "temporary detention order" from a local magistrate that allowed them to refer Cho to an off-campus medical facility. Cho was admitted to Carilion St. Albans Psychiatric Hospital on December 13, 2005. He was released the next day. According to Virginia law, "A magistrate has the authority to issue a detention order upon a finding that a person is mentally ill and in need of hospitalization or treatment." "The magistrate also must find that the person is an imminent danger to himself or others," says the guideline from Virginia's state court system.[59][60]
One of the photographs of Cho sent to NBC News
One of the photographs of Cho sent to NBC News

In 2005, Cho Seung-hui was temporarily detained for a psychiatric assessment, as he was suspected to be mentally ill and a danger to himself or others by a Montgomery County, Virginia district court. Virginia Special Justice Paul Barnett certified in an order that Cho Seung-hui "presents an imminent danger to himself as a result of mental illness," and directed that as a "Court-ordered Out-Patient he follow all recommended treatments."[61] Following a psychiatric evaluation and medical exam which noted Cho's flat affect and depressed mood, he was told to undergo outpatient care and was released.[62][63] Some reports state that Cho is believed to have been taking psychiatric medications for depression,[64] but there is no record of this in federal prescription databases.[65]
[59][60]

He was considered a danger to self and others- had there been a system in place (like criminal background checks) to check for mental instability, this incident might have been avoided.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
link

University officials said the school then obtained a "temporary detention order" from a local magistrate that allowed them to refer Cho to an off-campus medical facility. Cho was admitted to Carilion St. Albans Psychiatric Hospital on December 13, 2005. He was released the next day. According to Virginia law, "A magistrate has the authority to issue a detention order upon a finding that a person is mentally ill and in need of hospitalization or treatment." "The magistrate also must find that the person is an imminent danger to himself or others," says the guideline from Virginia's state court system.[59][60]

He was considered a danger to self and others- had there been a system in place (like criminal background checks) to check for mental instability, this incident might have been avoided.

I don't believe that a criminal background check would pick that up. From what I've heard on the radio, if he was forced into a facility by court order, he would not have been allowed to buy the gun. I'm not sure if thats 100 percent correct, I heard it on the radio this morning.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
10% of America is depressed and you want to punish them for the acts of a mere handful of people who snapped?

It is not Depression that is the problem. It is when someone is considered a danger to self or others.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
link

I don't believe that a criminal background check would pick that up. From what I've heard on the radio, if he was forced into a facility by court order, he would not have been allowed to buy the gun. I'm not sure if thats 100 percent correct, I heard it on the radio this morning.

Yeah, that is why they need a check to pick up on if the individual can be considered dangerous by mental health professionals

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

It is not Depression that is the problem. It is when someone is considered a danger to self or others.

I agree, I was replying to someone who was claiming anyone taking anti-depressants should have their right to own a gun restricted.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Well you might want to go back and reread all of the threads about this that have the gun grabbers going all nuts. They seem to think that more people carrying concealed weapons would result in more crime and more shootings. Where is the evidence to back that up?

I don't know the correct term for what you are doing, maybe a logical fallacy(sp), but you seem to be morphing people's fear of more people roaming the streets carrying guns into people saying current CCW holders are law breakers and should be the ones we should fear.

No one is talking about current holders INM, if they were, I, too would take offense. No one seems to be saying it the way you are receiving it imo. If we can guarantee the massive influx of new CCW holders some seem want to create will be calm, level headed gun owners like the vast majority of us are, then great. I don't think we can guarantee that and I think the prospect of increasing the loons to gun ratio might be what people are expressing concern over.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

I don't know the correct term for what you are doing, maybe a logical fallacy(sp), but you seem to be morphing people's fear of more people roaming the streets carrying guns into people saying current CCW holders are law breakers and should be the ones we should fear.

No one is talking about current holders INM, if they were, I, too would take offense. No one seems to be saying it the way you are receiving it imo. If we can guarantee the massive influx of new CCW holders some seem want to create will be calm, level headed gun owners like the vast majority of us are, then great. I don't think we can guarantee that and I think the prospect of increasing the loons to gun ratio might be what people are expressing concern over.

My point is that there are some people here that seem terrified at the thought of having more people legally owning and carrying handguns, but they have absolutely no rational for that fear. If there was a signifigant amount of crime committed by people that are currently owning and carrying handguns legally right now, then they might have a point. All they do is spout emotional nonsense about how dangerous it is to have an armed populace with people carrying (legally) concealed weapons when the facts show otherwise. When they are challenged for any facts to back up their irrational fear of weapons they completely dissappear from the thread.

Edit - basically, you should be allowed to carry a concealed weapon unless you have given the government a reason not to trust you with one.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I totally agree with being able to carry a concealed weapon, I am not so sure though that having "safe zones" is a bad idea. I don't know about you but I would be kind of freaked taking a 3 hour exam in a classroom of 50 people knowing they were all packing. IMO that would be a bigger accident waiting to happen than what we witnessed this week. Those happen one every few years or so, this one taking the cake in total numbers which is sickening. Perhaps we should pilot program it in one college for 4 years and see what happens. People that don't like it could simply go to school elsewhere.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I totally agree with being able to carry a concealed weapon, I am not so sure though that having "safe zones" is a bad idea. I don't know about you but I would be kind of freaked taking a 3 hour exam in a classroom of 50 people knowing they were all packing. IMO that would be a bigger accident waiting to happen than what we witnessed this week. Those happen one every few years or so, this one taking the cake in total numbers which is sickening. Perhaps we should pilot program it in one college for 4 years and see what happens. People that don't like it could simply go to school elsewhere.

This is the biggest failing point of the whole "Shouldnt be carrying" argument.
Your not required to carry a firearm. Your permitted to carry a firearm. Just because you CAN doesnt mean you HAVE to, and as such I assure you out of a class of 50 maybe....MAYBE.....3 would be carrying. Most likely less. I wouldnt be suprised if no one carried to be honest.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
There won't be. I wouldn't feel bad at all in such a room with 2 folks packing, though, which is probably still on the high side.

I'd be worried if everyone carried, too. The only reason everyone would carry is if everyone felt sufficiently threatened. With up to maybe 5% of folks carrying concealed, I wouldn't bat an eye. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

But, down here, it's not uncommon for people to own and know how to use rifles and shotguns by the time their age ends in teen. I took awhile longer, and haven't touched my own weapon in years, but even as a very little kid I knew damn well not to mess with guns, and why. I would expect most folks that have guns in their cars, or carry them, know enough about carrying and using them to do so responsibly.

While incidents like this could have been prevented by certain measures, ultimately it's the parents and the professors and the roommates and girls he stalked. Cho was not prepared for the world he was thrust into, and not enough was done by those around him to help him or stop him.

People intent on causing harm either will do so or will get caught trying. This is a case where both tighter restrictions and looser ones might have helped: allowing people o have guns on campus, including concealed, and causing more things to pop up red flags in the check to see if he should have been allowed to buy one.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Tango
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
"There's only one real ?freedom' in America?the freedom to kill one another?"

I was reading news headlines regarding international reaction to the VT massacre and this came up (link) from some newspapers in Europe. Now European media is not exactly well regarded, but some of the comments are so bizarre and strange that it makes you wonder what they're thinking.

The quote about buying guns at 13 was actually a direct quote of a student living in Virginia, not the journalist's.

But aside from anything about gun control, for which I really care little considering I live in NYC, there are a few things I think people should think about:

* Firearm-associated family and intimate assaults are 12 times more likely to be fatal than those not associated with firearms. Saltzman LE. Weapon involvement and injury outcomes in family and intimate assaults.
Journal of the American Medical Association 1992; 267:3043 .

* The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that 66% of the 16,137 murders in 2004 were committed with firearms.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm

* The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children younger than 15 years of age is nearly 12 times higher than among children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 1997;46:101-105.

* The United States has the highest rate of youth homicides and suicides among the 26 wealthiest nations.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Rates of homicide, suicide, and firearm-related death among children: 26 industrialized countries.
MMWR. 1997;46:101-105.

* In homes with guns, the homicide of a household member is three times as likely to occur than in homes without a gun. The risk of a suicide is increased nearly five-fold in homes with guns.

Kellermann AL et al. Gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide in the home. New England Journal of Medicine 1993; 329: 1084-1091, and Suicide in the home in relation to gun ownership. New England Journal of Medicine 1992; 327:467-472 .

* From 1990-1998, two-thirds of spouse and ex-spouse murder victims were killed with guns.[6]

* Guns are the weapon of choice for troubled individuals who commit suicide. In 1999, firearms were used in 16,599 suicide deaths in America. Among young people under 20, one committed suicide with a gun every eight hours.[7]

* A gun in the home also increases the likelihood of an unintentional shooting, particularly among children. Unintentional shootings commonly occur when children find an adult's loaded handgun in a drawer or closet, and while playing with it shoot themselves, a sibling or a friend. The unintentional firearm-related death rate for children 0-14 years old is NINE times higher in the U.S. than in the 25 other countries combined.[8]

The last one is particularly shocking:

The unintentional firearm-related death rate for children 0-14 years old is NINE times higher in the U.S. than in the 25 other countries combined.

Then to each his own, anybody can keep his beliefs. But I think some serious discussion of these data could be healthy.

Just so you know about 1/2 -3/4 of those sources have been fully debunked, even by people on the side of gun control. Hell, Kellerman himself admitted his study and subsequent report were wholly unreliable and should be totally discounted, and has since gone on to publish PRO-GUN reports (well, at least moderately pro-gun).

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: highwire
A lot of common sense there, lozina.

And remember, until the police get Star Treck transporters, their main function in matters such as the VT slaughter will be drawing chalk lines around bodies, not protection.

No its not "common sense." Being qualified to buy a handgun should be MUCH more involved. Such as, a psych evaluation and an interview by authorities concerning why one NEEDS a handgun.

Common sense aint so common.
Should you have all your writings and speech "approved" by the .gov before saying or publishing it?

Umm, yea because speech or writing gives me the power to kill a large number of innocent people in a short time. :roll: I love the illogical leaps you gun nuts like to take. :p

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: Unheard
Originally posted by: shira
If there was even the threat of a few armed and disciplined youngsters, or even oldster for that matter, to intervene, this event would NOT have happened.
Nonsense. The shooter clearly expected to die. The shooter was irrational (just listen to the videos) and the threat of others intervening would have had no effect.

I predict that if every single person in the U.S. 18 and older carried a firearm, the firearm-related death-rate in the U.S. would skyrocket. Just think of how many volatile incidents would be transformed from mere shouting matches (or fisticuffs) to the use of deadly force.

Anyone who thinks "more firearms" is the answer is deluded.

Just like it did in Switzerland right? Oh wait, it didn't, and every capable man over 18 owns a firearm. Don't blame the gun, blame the people who pull the trigger.

You both misread what I wrote and misunderstand the Swiss firearms law and the situation in Switzerland.

What I wrote was that if every single person in the U.S. 18 and older carried a firearm, the firearm-related death-rate would skyrocket. This was in response to highwire's claim that the threat of a few armed people would have deterred the VT shooter.

As to the situation in Switzerland, most adults are permitted to purchase firearms, but that's a far, far cry from meaning that every adult in Switzerland actually owns firearms. Also, there's a huge difference between people owing firearms - kept at home - and people carrying firearms:

From Wikipedia article on gun politics in Switzerland

Carrying guns
To carry firearms in public or outdoors (and for an individual who is a member of the militia carrying a firearm other than his Army-issue personal weapons off-duty), a person must have a Waffentragschein (weapon carrying permit), which in most cases is issued only to private citizens working in occupations such as security though some cantons issue the permits very liberally.

[edit] Conditions for getting a Carrying Permit

There are three conditions:

* fulfilling the conditions for a buying permit (see section below)
* stating plausibly the need to carry firearms to protect oneself, other people, or real property from a specified danger
* passing an examination proving both weapon handling skills and knowledge regarding lawful use of the weapon

The carrying permit remains valid for a term of five years (unless otherwise surrendered or revoked), and applies only to the type of firearm for which the permit was issued. Additional constraints may be invoked to modify any specific permit. Neither hunters nor game wardens require a carrying permit.

[edit] Buying guns

To purchase a firearm in a commercial shop, one needs to have a Waffenerwerbsschein (weapon buying permit). A permit allows the purchase of three firearms. Everyone over the age of 18 who is not psychiatrically disabled (such as having had a history of endangering his own life or the lives of others) or identified as posing security problems, and who has a clean criminal record can request such a permit. The sale of automatic firearms and selective fire weapons is forbidden (as is the sale of certain disabled automatic firearms which have been identified as easily restored to fully automatic capability), unless the buyer has a special collector's license.

By the way, note that the estimated number of firearms in private hands in Switzerland is 3 million (in a population of about 7.5 million). Compare that to the the United States, where there are an estimated 200 million guns (with a U.S. population of about 300 million people). The per-capita number of firearms in the U.S. is 67% higher than in Switzerland.

But it's not truly 'per capita' because people who own one gun most often own 3-7. The number of households with a gun in them are almost equal in both countries (about 33-39%).

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
Interesting how the freaks keep coming out of the woods, never missing any chance to badmouth Europe and Europeans.

Lets not forget those self righteous Canadians, boy what a bunch of asshats. :D

Seriously though, Ben Franklin said it best

"He who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserves neither"

I wouldnt hold my breath for many Europeans (or Canadians) to understand that. The cream of that sad continent came over here years ago.
Lest we not forget that the second amendment was created largely because of Europeans and their ilk.

There :p

May 16, 2000

Not all schools prohibit lawful carry, there is no 'pilot program' needed. Before a decade or so ago you could carry on almost every campus in America. No incidents occurred. That's because people who carry concealed DO NOT CAUSE PROBLEMS!

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
I was a well trained rifleman at the age of thirteen. If there was even the threat of a few armed and disciplined youngsters, or even oldster for that matter, to intervene, this event would NOT have happened. People have been drugged by the media, et al, to be passive, particularly when the actor is a person of color. The Wichita massacre is an example.

A passive and disarmed population in the middle of a tragic multicultural experiment is a bad combination.

In 2002 when a gunman started killing people on a campus in VA, he was stopped by two armed students

Course, you didn't hear about that on the news, did you? Kinda makes you wonder what the corporate media's agenda is...

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
I'm sorry that you people are so damned terrified of guns

I feel the same way about you people and your irrational fear of terrorists.
Since terrorists murdered 3,000 Americans on 9/11, roughly 65,000 Americans have been murdered by their friends, family, neighbors and fellow Americans with firearms.

Not to say I support gun control (the cat is too far out of the bag) but lets be honest about the comparative dangers to Americans from terrorism (supposedly a very serious. critically dangerous problem) and murders with firearms (supposedly an acceptable price to pay for our 'freedoms').

Fearing a fellow American with a firearm is much, much more statistically reasonable than fearing Muslims with planes, suicide vests and/or 'dirty bombs'.

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: AAjax
I was a well trained rifleman at the age of thirteen. If there was even the threat of a few armed and disciplined youngsters, or even oldster for that matter, to intervene, this event would NOT have happened. People have been drugged by the media, et al, to be passive, particularly when the actor is a person of color. The Wichita massacre is an example.

A passive and disarmed population in the middle of a tragic multicultural experiment is a bad combination.

In 2002 when a gunman started killing people on a campus in VA, he was stopped by two armed students

Course, you didn't hear about that on the news, did you? Kinda makes you wonder what the corporate media's agenda is...

There was nothing tragic or scandalous about it, so it wouldn't garner much attention. The song Vicarious by Tool comes to mind.

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

I was reading news headlines regarding international reaction to the VT massacre and this came up (link) from some newspapers in Europe. Now European media is not exactly well regarded, but some of the comments are so bizarre and strange that it makes you wonder what they're thinking.

The quote about buying guns at 13 was actually a direct quote of a student living in Virginia, not the journalist's.

But aside from anything about gun control, for which I really care little considering I live in NYC, there are a few things I think people should think about:

* Firearm-associated family and intimate assaults are 12 times more likely to be fatal than those not associated with firearms. Saltzman LE. Weapon involvement and injury outcomes in family and intimate assaults.

* The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that 66% of the 16,137 murders in 2004 were committed with firearms.

* The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children younger than 15 years of age is nearly 12 times higher than among children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 1997;46:101-105.

* The United States has the highest rate of youth homicides and suicides among the 26 wealthiest nations.
Rates of homicide, suicide, and firearm-related death among children: 26 industrialized countries.

* In homes with guns, the homicide of a household member is three times as likely to occur than in homes without a gun. The risk of a suicide is increased nearly five-fold in homes with guns.

Kellermann AL et al. Gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide in the home. New England Journal of Medicine 1993; 329: 1084-1091, and Suicide in the home in relation to gun ownership. New England Journal of Medicine 1992; 327:467-472 .

* From 1990-1998, two-thirds of spouse and ex-spouse murder victims were killed with guns.[6]

* Guns are the weapon of choice for troubled individuals who commit suicide. In 1999, firearms were used in 16,599 suicide deaths in America. Among young people under 20, one committed suicide with a gun every eight hours.[7]

* A gun in the home also increases the likelihood of an unintentional shooting, particularly among children. Unintentional shootings commonly occur when children find an adult's loaded handgun in a drawer or closet, and while playing with it shoot themselves, a sibling or a friend. The unintentional firearm-related death rate for children 0-14 years old is NINE times higher in the U.S. than in the 25 other countries combined.[8]

The unintentional firearm-related death rate for children 0-14 years old is NINE times higher in the U.S. than in the 25 other countries combined.

Then to each his own, anybody can keep his beliefs. But I think some serious discussion of these data could be healthy.

Just so you know about 1/2 -3/4 of those sources have been fully debunked, even by people on the side of gun control. Hell, Kellerman himself admitted his study and subsequent report were wholly unreliable and should be totally discounted, and has since gone on to publish PRO-GUN reports (well, at least moderately pro-gun).

I am no expert on the subject, however, the FBI statistic is quite likely to be accurate, and a few of the other (including the last one, which to me is the most stunning) are simple mathematical calculations.

Children 0-14 dead from firearm injuries is a number hard to be put in perspective. What could you argue about that? That they deserved it? Most of them die because they fire a weapon they found in their houses and started playing with. If the weapon had not been there they would not die.

Same applies to female murdered by their partner. It's a very common scheme, the guy comes back home drunk and start an argument. Because he has a gun he shoots the partner. If he hadn't the gun he would probably just slap or punch her like sons-of-a-bitch like him do in other parts of the world.

The point is, even if you do not believe some of those numbers, the difference between the US and other developed countries is so huge that cutting those numbers 50% usually doesn't change the situation.

Here's another research:

http://www.unicri.it/wwd/analysis/icvs/...rstanding_files/19_GUN%20OWNERSHIP.pdf

Country Murders per 1M Murders per 1M with firearm

USA 75.9 44.6

England 6.7 0.8

Netherlands 11.8 2.7

France 12.5 5.5

CSSR 13.5 2.6

Norway 12.1 3.0

Germany 12.1 2.0
The homicide table is even more dramatic... The correlation between gun-ownership and suicides using firearms is almost 1.
Yet I'm sure you'll find this data irrelevant. People who love their guns just don't want to consider the idea of not having them.

But again, I don't care about this that much. I live between Manhattan and Europe, and thanks god people in these places usually don't go around with a frigging gun in their pocket. So it's all good to me. As I said in my previous post, I just think some public debate on this data would healthy, even if you don't do anything about this. Maybe, for example, people could start keeping their weapons and ammunition in strictly separate places, something that would greatly affect the number of accidents involving children and kids.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
...or they could teach the kids about the weapons. Assuming a child won't find it is folly. 0-4 years old, maybe even up to 6, there may not be much that can be done, and it is tragic. Somewhere around there, though, they can be taught about firearms. A child should know not to play with a gun just as much as they should know not to play with a skilsaw. It was not coincidence that I never played with guns when I was around them. By 6 or so, I knew of several guns within easy reach at my uncle's. But I also knew not to mess with them, The vast majority of the problem there is bad parenting.

As far as murders, I don't think gun availability has nothing to do with it (your spouse example being a good case for that), but look at the total number: with the firearm deaths not counted for the US, we have over four times the murders of England, and two and half times that of Germany, Norway, and the Netherlands. Our nation is, on the whole, sick. Firearms make some things a little easier, but trying to remove them would not make it all better. The causes need to be dealt with, not the tools.

Suicide: meh. IMO, it is a bad decision (well, usually), but you have every right to kill yourself. We make it easier than most countries.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

I am no expert on the subject, however, the FBI statistic is quite likely to be accurate, and a few of the other (including the last one, which to me is the most stunning) are simple mathematical calculations.

Children 0-14 dead from firearm injuries is a number hard to be put in perspective. What could you argue about that? That they deserved it? Most of them die because they fire a weapon they found in their houses and started playing with. If the weapon had not been there they would not die.

Same applies to female murdered by their partner. It's a very common scheme, the guy comes back home drunk and start an argument. Because he has a gun he shoots the partner. If he hadn't the gun he would probably just slap or punch her like sons-of-a-bitch like him do in other parts of the world.

The point is, even if you do not believe some of those numbers, the difference between the US and other developed countries is so huge that cutting those numbers 50% usually doesn't change the situation.

Here's another research:

http://www.unicri.it/wwd/analysis/icvs/...rstanding_files/19_GUN%20OWNERSHIP.pdf

Country Murders per 1M Murders per 1M with firearm

USA 75.9 44.6

England 6.7 0.8

Netherlands 11.8 2.7

France 12.5 5.5

CSSR 13.5 2.6

Norway 12.1 3.0

Germany 12.1 2.0
The homicide table is even more dramatic... The correlation between gun-ownership and suicides using firearms is almost 1.
Yet I'm sure you'll find this data irrelevant. People who love their guns just don't want to consider the idea of not having them.

But again, I don't care about this that much. I live between Manhattan and Europe, and thanks god people in these places usually don't go around with a frigging gun in their pocket. So it's all good to me. As I said in my previous post, I just think some public debate on this data would healthy, even if you don't do anything about this. Maybe, for example, people could start keeping their weapons and ammunition in strictly separate places, something that would greatly affect the number of accidents involving children and kids.

I don't claim there isn't a violence problem in America, I merely keep the debates honest.

For instance, IF guns are THE SINGLE factor which dictates gun related crime/death then Switzerland should rate much worse in those areas since it has an almost equal number of homes with guns in them. Maybe if you narrow that down to 'handguns' you could get a better feel, but you can still find nations that have handguns but much lower crime and accidents. Even keeping it a domestic debate IF it were handguns that were the key factor you should see an EXTREMELY high rate of incident with persons who have a concealed permit since they have handguns and carry them frequently. Yet concealed weapon holders do not have accidents or incidents in any numbers...in fact as already pointed out they have fewer problems than law enforcement or regular citizens. That means that again, merely having a gun is in NO WAY an indicator of the likelihood of crime or accident. So it isn't the guns themselves, that means it's something else, or a combination.

Yes, kids have been killed by guns, but no where near the number killed by cars. How many other things can we find that injure and/or kill as many or more children than guns? Having identified those things why do we not debate about them? Why only guns? Also you should keep in mind that many pieces of research that refer to things such as 'kids being killed by guns' includes suicide, deaths while committing a crime, and so on. That means we have to examine the research numbers themselves very closely to accurately say rather it was an accidental death (finding a gun and playing with it), or a deserved death (trying to rob a store and getting shot in the process). You can try to argue that without the guns themselves the events wouldn't have happened but statistics from all other nations disprove that (Australia and the UK with very strict controls on guns still experience crime, and in fact their rates of crime are rising while ours in America are falling).

If drugs weren't around people wouldn't overdose, or commit crimes while under the influence. For that matter if alcohol weren't around people wouldn't drive under the influence. We tried prohibition and repealed it. We've made war against drugs for decades and they're absolutely everywhere. This means that the entire argument of 'if they weren't legal then they wouldn't be there and therefore bad things wouldn't happen because of them' is 100% TOTAL CRAP! Accept it.

Your suicide correlation claim is ridiculous in the extreme. If there was truly a two-way correlation of 1 then every house with a gun would have a suicide. Since there are 100 million homes in America with a gun, and not nearly that many suicides, we know that isn't so. Instead, it's a one-way correlation that also would apply to nearly every other form of suicide once controlled for in the statistical data. In other words, once you accept suicide as a given event then you merely look in the home to find the most expedient method. If there's a gun that's simple, so they use it. If there's meds that's simple, so they use them. And so on. The guns are irrelevant in that equation because the suicide attempt is a given with or without them.

There's nothing wrong with educating people about dangers. There's nothing wrong with implementing basic processes to obtain weapons (like we already have, or maybe even including a mental health component which many states already do). There's nothing wrong with encouraging safe treatment and storage. What's wrong is throwing the baby out with the bathwater because of bad information, poor reasoning, or emotional decisions. Just so you know my father kept our rifles locked in the gun cabinet and the key hidden, kept the bolts to the rifles hidden in a drawer in his room, and kept the ammunition in a locked container over our freezer in the basement. When I was very young I somehow managed to learn all this and while they were out one day I got all the parts and was in the process of putting them all together when he came home. Needless to say I suffered for my stupidity, and then entered a long time training with weapon responsibility and have not been unsafe since. What I'm driving at here is that separate storage doesn't solve anything - education and training does.