In victory for unions, judge overturns key parts of Trump executive orders

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Wonder when the tweet-storm will be forthcoming?

Unions representing federal workers on Saturday declared victory in what they have described as an assault by the Trump administration after a federal judge struck down key provisions of a set of executive orders aimed at making it easier to fire employees and weaken their representation.

The ruling, by U.S. District Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson in Washington, was a setback to the White House’s efforts to rein in federal unions, which have retained significant power over working conditions even as private-sector unions are in decline.

In a 122-page decision, Jackson — nominated to the bench by President Barack Obama in 2013 — took issue with key elements of each order and immediately barred the administration from enacting them.

“They’re going to have to unwind what they’ve already done,” Borer said.

But Jackson found that the president lacks the authority to impose many of the measures, which she said interfered with the right to good-faith collective bargaining that Congress laid out for civil servants in 1978.

In her decision, the judge wrote: “While . . . the President has the authority to issue executive orders that carry the force of law with respect to federal labor relations, no such orders can operate to eviscerate the right to bargain collectively as envisioned” in the federal labor-management relations statute.

Under the statute, she added, “the collective bargaining process is not a cutthroat death match.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i...-trump-executive-orders/ar-BBMqryZ?li=BBnb7Kz

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Federal Employee Unions are not real unions.

They are all voluntary, employees cannot strike, and they lack collective barabargai rights on key items such as wages and benefits.

These are not real unions. They have less rights than unions in states like Wisconsin.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

They are all voluntary, employees cannot strike, and they lack collective barabargai rights on key items such as wages and benefits.

These are not real unions. They have less rights than unions in states like Wisconsin.

Still, I think it's far better to have representation that speaks for the collective voice of the rank and file than not having it at all.

A collective voice speaks much louder and with more authority than any individual speaking only for themselves.

I mean, this is the main reason why predatory business owners who seek only to maximize profits for themselves at the expense of the quality of life of their employees detest any kind of collective voice that seek fair wages, decent work hours and safe working conditions.

These very same predatory business owners are also intent on and actively corrupting our politicians that represent the interests of the working class so as to cut these elected officials off from the very people who put them in office and make these now corrupted "officials" their own personal representatives rather than that of the people they swore to represent.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

Exactly, after Reagan fired the air traffic controllers federal civil service unions were pretty much crippled and lost whatever power they thought they had,

As for unions in general, outsourcing, free trade agreements, and right to work laws have eviscerated most of them thanks to both parties being bought out by corporate America while promising their constituents better jobs and America first until they get their votes, than it's business as usual taking care of their rich benefactors.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Exactly, after Reagan fired the air traffic controllers federal civil service unions were pretty much crippled and lost whatever power they thought they had,

As for unions in general, outsourcing, free trade agreements, and right to work laws have eviscerated most of them thanks to both parties being bought out by corporate America while promising their constituents better jobs and America first until they get their votes, than it's business as usual taking care of their rich benefactors.
Bothsides!

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
In short: Trump can't override labor rights enshrined in law just because he hates treating workers fairly.

Yes he was hoping to begin hiring American workers. Now he'll have to continue importing immigrant labor because it's cheaper.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Yes he was hoping to begin hiring American workers. Now he'll have to continue importing immigrant labor because it's cheaper.

Immigrant workers? So you believe that the GOP efforts to dismantle unions has been about hiring American workers? Interesting take but I don't think it holds up. "Unions bad" is a staple of the GOP prpoganda. It's been part of their playbook for years. The goal is to remove the ability of workers to be able to effectively negotiate with the ruling class. However, it would be interesting to see what percentage of unions are comprised of illegals immigrants (remember that brown people can be citizens too). Your assertion doesn't seem to stand up to simple logic. Union busting has been around far longer that the piece of shit in the whitehouse.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Jan 25, 2011
Overturn all executive orders. Congress makes the laws.
Apparently that stopped being a concern on January 20, 2017 for conservatives. Trump, should he maintain his current pace, could exceed in 4 years Obama's total number of EO's over 8 years and could even pass Bush 2. Oddly the people who said Obama was ruling like a king (including this very forum) have all fallen completely silent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aegeon and Meghan54

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
In short: Trump can't override labor rights enshrined in law just because he hates treating workers fairly.

You mean labor rights like not needing to compete with illegal aliens because folks like you don't want to enforce our immigration laws?

Jan 25, 2011
You mean labor rights like not needing to compete with illegal aliens because folks like you don't want to enforce our immigration laws?
Let me know when the Trump admin starts focusing on the businesses that actually hire the illegals. Until then your complaint is completely hollow and meaningless.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

H-2B visas versus illegal aliens, I think you can even tell the difference there. We should cut back on the use of such visas in lieu of just paying Americans more to do the work but it's not a good counter to link to story about a company following immigration law in response to a statement about not enforcing immigration laws.

Let me know when the Trump admin starts focusing on the businesses that actually hire the illegals. Until then your complaint is completely hollow and meaningless.

Of course, just like until we focus on the businesses who have sexual predators working for them we shouldn't address the persons who commit sexual harassment and the #MeToo complaints about it are completely hollow and meaningless.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Apparently that stopped being a concern on January 20, 2017 for conservatives. Trump, should he maintain his current pace, could exceed in 4 years Obama's total number of EO's over 8 years and could even pass Bush 2. Oddly the people who said Obama was ruling like a king (including this very forum) have all fallen completely silent.

If only we knew what their real concern was. Alas.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Please, drop the straw man.

Folks like me believe in enforcing immigration laws within reason. We don't think that means enforcing them by any means the government feels like using, especially when it means switching off basic human decency. It also means creating legal paths to citizenship for people who've been in the country for a long time and refusing to fall into scapegoating. Illegal immigration is a labor problem in the US; it's not the problem. You can push for labor rights without panicking that illegal border crossers are going to take your mid-level accounting job.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Please, drop the straw man.

Folks like me believe in enforcing immigration laws within reason. We don't think that means enforcing them by any means the government feels like using, especially when it means switching off basic human decency. It also means creating legal paths to citizenship for people who've been in the country for a long time and refusing to fall into scapegoating. Illegal immigration is a labor problem in the US; it's not the problem. You can push for labor rights without panicking that illegal border crossers are going to take your mid-level accounting job.

You want to ignore immigration laws when you want then you have no right to complain when others ignore labor laws when they want. Even trade.

Jan 25, 2011
Of course, just like until we focus on the businesses who have sexual predators working for them we shouldn't address the persons who commit sexual harassment and the #MeToo complaints about it are completely hollow and meaningless.

Ummmm.... I going to assume you know why this is a stupid comparison but if not I'll help you out.

Companies don't provide motivations for people to be sexual predators. They do provide motivation to be an illegal immigrant. Full stop.

20170317_Immigrants.jpg

What a stupid fucking analogy.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
You want to ignore immigration laws when you want then you have no right to complain when others ignore labor laws when they want. Even trade.

No, it's not an even trade. I'm interested in what's morally right, not mindless conformity to the rules. Ripping families apart is wrong; denying workers their unionization abilities is also wrong. Rules can help make things right, but they can also be used to commit horrible acts. Unfortunately, it seems like you're only interested in rules for the rules' sake.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
No, it's not an even trade. I'm interested in what's morally right, not mindless conformity to the rules. Ripping families apart is wrong; denying workers their unionization abilities is also wrong. Rules can help make things right, but they can also be used to commit horrible acts. Unfortunately, it seems like you're only interested in rules for the rules' sake.

Then change the rules, that's my entire point. If you think immigration laws are unfair and shouldn't be enforced call for their abolition and open our borders. It's extremely immoral to advocate that illegals shouldn't be stopped so we can benefit from their cheap labor yet still control them via threat of deportation at any point to keep them in line and subservient. I'm fine with open borders yet folks like you want to pretend that's not what you actually want although it's transparently obvious you know that's the net result of what you're calling for. Just be honest about it, no one will look down on you for having a political opinion.

OTOH the quickest and most efficient way to turn us into a failed state is for the elites to ignore the rule of law and wink and nod at it being broken, that's how Greece ended up broke after the people decided laws about taxes and corruption were "mindless conformity to the rules." If you're going to ignore the laws that were democratically passed then stop pretending you actually give a shit about democracy.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Then change the rules, that's my entire point. If you think immigration laws are unfair and shouldn't be enforced call for their abolition and open our borders. It's extremely immoral to advocate that illegals shouldn't be stopped so we can benefit from their cheap labor yet still control them via threat of deportation at any point to keep them in line and subservient. I'm fine with open borders yet folks like you want to pretend that's not what you actually want although it's transparently obvious you know that's the net result of what you're calling for. Just be honest about it, no one will look down on you for having a political opinion.

No one has advocated anything you vomited above, but thanks for playing, Jennifer.