In this thread, we pretend it's the year 2030

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
"Never trust a deadline set by Elon Musk." -- Everyone with any common sense.
Elon might be little late but he delivers. You give Elon a decade and that's like giving 50 years to regular genius.

No one has won betting against Elon Musk. WelshBloke will not be an exception.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Hawt damn, 1 more year before social security.

What are you talking about, Highland? President Ivanka Trump abolished social security in 2026! We all have government sponsored 401K plans now, thanks to our friends at FidelityWellsFargoAmeritrade.

I just wish that my health insurance cap hadn't kicked in this week. My COVAD-27 is flaring up again.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
On the bright side, I heard that both StarLink and AmazonGoogleCVS Fiber are going to finally be available in my area next year! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I remember the Embargo of Babe Thread days. In celebration of the 7 years since the Embargo, I just updated mine with pics of all y'alls Moms.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
My daughter just broke her Justin Timberlake dancebot. She's so disappointed!

Obscure Reference:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I have to wonder if AT will make it to 2030.

I'm sure that one of us will bring the forum back as a pet project if Anandtech closes up shop by 2030. We could probably run this whole thing in an AWS instance for under $50 a month by then.

Although, if I do it, it's going to be powered by Coolcoin. I will make that cryptocurrency a thing somehow, dammit! ;)

Reactions: brianmanahan

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
The first wave of vaccines for CV19 turning out to be the plot from I am Legend really brought the remainder of humanity together.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
In the year 2030 we will all be forced to wear Orange colored tattoos on our left shoulder that say -- 'Long Live Chancellor Trump@!!@!!!"

Reactions: Scarpozzi

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So I'm glad they did not cancel the Cybertruck, I can't afford one but I'm actually looking forward to seeing them in person, they're just so... different. Hopefully they do come out next year in 2031 and don't get delayed further but looks like they're on track to start production in next few months.

I hear Rivian is working on a truck too, be interesting when that comes out, it looks a bit more traditional.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
i have always wondered the same myself

reddit started locking subreddits that didn't have a mod who was ever online (bluearyus has been gone for 4 years)

you can go to www.reddit.com/r/redditrequest and request to take it over if you want

OK, I'll post a request for it. It looks like it requires "manual review", though. If you guys could back me up and say nice things about how great of a moderator I would be when the time comes, I'd appreciate it!

I actually have surprisingly good karma on Reddit, so I might have a shot at getting it!

(No Seriously, I actually did this NOW. This isn't a "future post"!)

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
So I'm glad they did not cancel the Cybertruck, I can't afford one but I'm actually looking forward to seeing them in person, they're just so... different. Hopefully they do come out next year in 2031 and don't get delayed further but looks like they're on track to start production in next few months.

I hear Rivian is working on a truck too, be interesting when that comes out, it looks a bit more traditional.

Heh... I would have figured that the Cybertruck would have come out years ago. The Roadster on the other hand? Yeah, I doubt that we'll ever see more than a handful of those even in 2032. Ever since Elon Musk shipped himself to Jupiter, he really hasn't been paying attention to Tesla's day to day business.

I'm sure glad that the Mustang Mach-E flopped, though. Real Mustangs are not SUV's with four doors!

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
In the year 2030 we will all be forced to wear Orange colored tattoos on our left shoulder that say -- 'Long Live Chancellor Trump@!!@!!!"
You got that confused I think, it's an ID tattoo on your arm.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
We'll look back on 2020 fondly as it wasn't that bad. Now 2021 - that was a bad year...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Here's a link to the article. I can't stand this guy reading it to me badly.

Personally, I don't think that we're going to make THAT much progress in the next 10 years. At some point, most of us will be using self-driving car services and having appliance rentals quickly sent to us by drone delivery, but that's probably more of a 2050 thing instead of a 2040 thing.

I also think that the "AI is gonna take over my job" fears are a joke as well. Trust me, I work in IT... the AI isn't smart enough to make even basic decisions correctly and consistently yet. Don't believe me? Try having an intelligent conversation with your Alexa or Google Home device. If it can't find a keyword to latch onto, the responses they give are idiotic.

It's also amusing how the author thought that everyone would want to be packed into cities back in 2016. Covid pretty much guaranteed that isn't going to happen for at least another generation. I don't think that people are going to forget how quickly polite society fell apart during the lockdown, and protests and riots sprung up everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEDIYoda