In the netbook market..

hennessy1

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2007
I was thinking of getting a netbook for my little sister for Christmas. I was looking into the ION netbooks. My first concern or question is in reality what will she be able to do with one. I know they are not made to replace the power of a full notebook.

She does alot of youtube video watching, itunes, ms word, email, internet, online flash games. I am wondering if this particular product will be useful for her or more of a hindrance.

I know that ION 2 is suppose to be released before end of '09 but I don't think that it will be here in time for Christmas or anytime near there. So I was wondering is there any particularly good ones out there that run the ION or should I steer clear of them? I have been looking at the HP mini 311 but manly for the support plans they offer as well and can be persuaded away if need be.

I appreciate any help thank you.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
She does alot of youtube video watching, itunes, ms word, email, internet, online flash games.

I'd say go for one of the small notebooks with a CULV processor. Atom chips are not quite powerful enough to run HD videos/flash and while the ION can, you have to jump through hoops of having the right driver and right Flash version to enable acceleration. Much easier to just have a CPU powerful enough to run the stuff. You can get single core units like the Acer Timeline in 11.6-13.3" screen size (almost netbook sized) for probably the $550-650 range, and maybe the $700 range for an Asus UL30 series. The ones with the SU4100 and SU7300 CPUs are dual cores, and pretty fast for something under 4 pounds.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Go with CULV if she won't be playing real games. Even with Ion, Atoms are still terrible.
However if you still insist, Lenovo S12 has Nvidia Ion as an option.