In the market for a Gtx 1070, is there a consensus on which are the best to get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
People complain about ASUS RMA sometimes but I can't say that it's entirely bad. EVGA seems to have a lot of people singing their praises. I think a patient person with a legitimate dud card isn't going to get totally screwed by any of the major manufacturers. If you're going to remove the heatsink and do some custom stuff with your card or plan on ocing it or messing with the vbios, i dunno, that opens the door to problems.

So the only problem I've had with ASUS RMA is that it's very, very difficult to get updates. With EVGA or Zotac, you just send an email and you've got an update that day. With ASUS, you're just praying the thing gets there and gets back to you. It's also slower. So it's not that ASUS is bad, it's just less organized, and that can be scary.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
There are converts you can get from 5.25 bays to 3.25 bays to 2.5 bays. Here is an example (I normally get silverstone's but this one might be fine):
https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Alumin...F8&qid=1471262612&sr=8-1&keywords=5.25+to+2.5
-
microcenter also has converters for around $10 a pop.

wtf!? How is that possible...The clocks are close to the bigger ones? Why arent all cards mini?

edit: Ironic how this is relevant now...ugh...The card will only fit the case I want to buy if I remove the HDD cage, which I kinda need...Is it easy to convert 5.25" bays to 2.5"?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
fyi superbiiz has the mini gtx for $385. Shipping is a bit high at $17 but there is a $10 off coupon. caveat this card has not been reviewed so it might run hot or loud.

Ogram

Jul 29, 2016
Ended up getting EVGA FTW 1070. I ordered the SC variant on Monday but the FTW went on sale on Tuesday and I managed to change my order. 499 euros with discount, 550 euros without. That's around 560/625 USD. Shit's expensive here in Finland o_O

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I don't know about the newer cards (10xx etc. series), but my EVGA GTX 970 SC 2.0 is a total POS with poor build quality, bad and loud cooler, problems with VRMs overheating etc, I won't ever get EVGA again, for sure.

I got my wife a used GTX 670 Asus Strix, I am just amazed by the build quality of this card, backplate and all. It's built like a tank. No contest to this EVGA crap. I am also liking Gigabyte cards.

Edit: it's possible/likely that the SSC, FTW etc. cards from EVGA are much better, but doesn't change my disappointment with EVGA.

techne

May 5, 2016
Just for the records, please read this. Then read this. The two brands may be rock solid, but I cannot say the same about these two particular models.

I have found only one review of the Galax model: here. It seems to be a legitimate review and the card seems to be... ok.

Check out the Gigabyte G1. ;)

UPDATE
I discovered that Galax does not participate of the "NVIDIA Authorized Board Partner Program". And I really don't know what to think about this.

ANOTHER UPDATE
Found another Galax review here. Also, some youtube stuff. This is getting interesting...

Last edited:
Reactions: nopainnogain

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I just got my ASUSCOMP GTX1070 2XFAN OC 8GB in today and so far really liking it. Obviously a huge step up from my ATi 6850. GPU is 1860 and memory is 1835. $399 from Microcenter, and no tax since I don't have one near me. Pretty happy with it, much better on my Asus 34" curved PG348Q.

nopainnogain

Sep 13, 2016
I narrowed my choices to these two models because they are the cheapest where I live.

GALAX EXOC: 5 + 2 power phase; 2 power connectors (8+6); does not turn off fans when idle
EVGA 08G-P4-6171: 4 + 1 power phase; 1 power connector (8); turn off fans when idle

At least between these two specific models, Galax seems to be the winner. :hearteyes:

Reactions: techne

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I'm pretty happy with the mini-1070 from gigabyte. I have it in a linux mini-itx system; but there are a couple of full reviews now. the one I read the other day indicated it is slightly faster and quieter than a soc founder card; but obvsiouly slower and louder than the best 1070 (I think it was around 8% slower). Not bad performance for a small form card; certainly better than the nano.

nopainnogain

Sep 13, 2016
I have paid today the Galax EXOC. In my country and at this moment, it's the best deal. Can't wait to put my hands on it. With ESD protection of course. :smiley: