In the market for a Big Screen HDTV

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: ATLien247
Originally posted by: Spook
My budget is for up to about $6k

How about the Pioneer Elite PRO-720HD?

if you can find that model in your price range, that is the best rptv in the market right now, it has a gorgeous display.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Beau6183
IMO, hitachi's have nice pictures, but crappy color.

Toshiba would probably be my first choice, then Hitatchi, then Elite.

put down the crack man, have you seen all three? pioneer's own all of them.

mboy

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2001
Altho I have a Samsung 32" Directview myself, if I had the Green, I would go for the Elite all the way, just remember to leave 500-750 for proper ISF calibration after you watch it for 100hrs. or so.

Spook

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
I saw the Elite Pioneer the other day.... that picture was a thing of beauty... You could see how much freaking makeup the actors were really wearing with that picture... very nice...

I was thinking of a smaller set though, maybe the Grand Wega.. that has a very nice picture too, allthough I hear the black levels aren't that great...

I didn't like the Diamond, I didn't care fore the way it resized...

I haven't seen allot of Hitachi's .... The Hitachi's used to be very nice, about a year ago.

500-700 for ISF? wow, I didn't think it was that much, thought it would ~$200...

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Spook

I was thinking of a smaller set though, maybe the Grand Wega.. that has a very nice picture too, allthough I hear the black levels aren't that great...

I thought you said big screen? ;)

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
The Pioneer Elite series is generally regarded as the best overall set. It is hard to rival in clarity and color replication.

My opinion on the best bang for the buck is Toshiba. I did a lot of research when I bought my 57" widescreen TV in February and found that the Toshiba sets were generally regarded as very good buys. I, of course, went out and compared all the sets that I was consdering with my own eye.

I would suggest that you narrow it down to a few choices and then go out and take a good look at them in person.

Also, a GREAT place to buy is www.onecall.com. I dealt with Jason there when I purchased my TV and he was great. No shipping and no tax. :D

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
the grand wega is junk, i bet you almost everyone who talks them up hasnt seen one, the colors are totally washed olut, the black levels and brightness suck, all pictures including dvds look grainy. grand wega is for me to poop on. Pioneer, or Pioneer Elite. A couple more thousand and you can get a really nice panasonic Plasma display.

mboy

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2001
It is at least $225 just to have 1 input done for greyscale and geometry on my direct view 32".

RPTV with multiple inputs will run you no less then $500 for greyscale and convergance. Well worth it tho if you are getting an RPTV. I just cant seem to find the $225 to get my direct view done considering I just got engaged and saving for wedding.