In the fall: Mandatory random drug testing for all teens?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I think we need to weed out the pot heads and other ne'er do wells to help foster a better learning environment. What do you think?

And dont give me this unconstitutional garbage. If a student is caught he/she will get drug counseling and spend the rest of the semester in an alternative place of learning for troubled teens.

Everybody wins. :thumbsup:

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
NO ... recreational drug use and school/work etc... have nothing to do with one another. The people who show up high to school will have grades that reflect this, not go to college, end up with a crappy job etc...

Also not willing to spend my tax money on this

jonessoda

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2005
No. Absolutely not. And before you accuse me of being a pothead, I've never used any drug illegally in my life.

It is a violation of their freedom, it is a violation of the constitution, and there is absolutely no need nor basis for it.

Furthermore, most drug users I knew were far from "troubled." Indeed, they were among the most well-adjusted and relaxed people I knew. Their grades didn't suffer, they didn't drag their classmates down, and they were quite creative and intelligent.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: LoKe
Not all drug users are irresponsible.

But all illegal drug use is irresponsible to begin with. Not to mention illegal. Place them in special schools to get help.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat

But all illegal drug use is irresponsible to begin with. Not to mention illegal. Place them in special schools to get help.

What makes you think they need help? I know plenty of drug users who keep it controlled and are still fully functional members of society. Did you know alcohol and caffeine are both drugs? Just because they're not illegal doesn't mean they're any more acceptable.

Pick a side of the fence and stick with it; you can't have one but not the other.

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004

Help for blazing and drinking?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: jonessoda
No. Absolutely not. And before you accuse me of being a pothead, I've never used any drug illegally in my life.

It is a violation of their freedom, it is a violation of the constitution, and there is absolutely no need nor basis for it.

Furthermore, most drug users I knew were far from "troubled." Indeed, they were among the most well-adjusted and relaxed people I knew. Their grades didn't suffer, they didn't drag their classmates down, and they were quite creative and intelligent.

I wasnt going to accuse people who disagree as current drug users, however I did note that you sympathize with them. We dont accept alcohol use under 21. And 21 year old who go to work drunk get fired.

The fact is, the majority are only interested in causing trouble in schools, killing people and breaking things. Get them help in special schools.

Worth every penny. :thumbsup:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

What makes you think they need help? I know plenty of drug users who keep it controlled and are still fully functional members of society. Did you know alcohol and caffeine are both drugs? Just because they're not illegal doesn't mean they're any more acceptable.

Pick a side of the fence and stick with it; you can't have one but not the other.

Um, I didnt say it was ok to come to school drunk or hyper on caffiene. All drug users and drunks get tossed out.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I think we need to weed out the pot heads and other ne'er do wells to help foster a better learning environment. What do you think?

And dont give me this unconstitutional garbage. If a student is caught he/she will be get drug counseling and spend the rest of the semester in an alternative place of learning for troubled teens.

They already have this. Here its called Night School, and its where everyone who gets kicked out of regular school goes to try to work their way back in.
They put all the troubled youth in the same classroom together, and none of them learn a damn thing except more places to buy and sell drugs. And no teacher will volountarily take these classes. So then you have hundreds of out of control troublemakers who have been stigmatized as problem children by the schools and institutions, and shoved into "alternative learning environments" safely away from the normal kids.

Every kid views himself as a loser, the school views them as losers, and the teachers who are forced to teach them view them as losers.

It doesn't work.

Jun 4, 2005
Um, I didnt say it was ok to come to school drunk or hyper on caffiene. All drug users and drunks get tossed out.

Your argument would have been better put as anyone comming to school under the influence. On that note; anyone found drunk or high at school is "punished" anyways.

They need to be taught that doing such things at school is wrong, but no isolated from the others.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I was quite the pot head in high school and I had all As. I am in college now and I am still doing well. Better learning environment my ass.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
while your intentions -may- be good, simply random drug testing for teens isn't enough. You'd have to drug test everyone in the states since lets be honest, it's not only teens on drugs. Why single out one group in the process of singling out another.

The 4th ammendment has you pinned :
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly deescribing the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized."

Random sweeping drug testing in schools would probably warrant a unreasonable search and seizure, especially when you yank the kid out of school and put him in a troubled school. Let's not forget the "seperate but equal is inheirently unequal" whilch would cause all sorts of hell when segregating schools.

If you really want to fix the drug problem in America - Get involved. Donate to charity, and make an impact in teens lives. When teens have mentors they are less likely to use drugs. The reason why America's education is in the crapper is because people want wide sweeping reforms to fix the system, but have no idea how to do it. In the meantime, people could get invested into children, especially their own.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: 1sikbITCH

And dont give me this unconstitutional garbage. If a student is caught he/she will be get drug counseling and spend the rest of the semester in an alternative place of learning for troubled teens.

They already have this. Here its called Night School, and its where everyone who gets kicked out of regular school goes to try to work their way back in.
They put all the troubled youth in the same classroom together, and none of them learn a damn thing except more places to buy and sell drugs. And no teacher will volountarily take these classes. So then you have hundreds of out of control troublemakers who have been stigmatized as problem children by the schools and institutions, and shoved into "alternative learning environments" safely away from the normal kids.

Every kid views himself as a loser, the school views them as losers, and the teachers who are forced to teach them view them as losers.

It doesn't work.

It got them out of the system and recognized as needing help. If youre particular system needs fixing, which it sounds like it does, fix it. But I dont think its fair to portray removing their influence is a bad thing to begin with, because it isnt.

JinLien

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2005

A better way to spend money would be placing anal retentive people in correctional institution where they learn to live with others peacefully instead of imposing their ideal on others.

[add]

Maybe it would be more beneficial to drug test the presidents and their cronies.