In terms of sheer 'dreadful porting', GTA IV reminds me of GTA III...

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004

I remember GTA III ran like a dog on even a relatively new machine, whereas GTA VC, which looked similar if not marginally better, ran very smoothly on the same machine, if i recall correctly...

GTA IV runs reasonably on my Q6600/4GB/4850, but the graphics do nothing to justify the relatively awful FPS...

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
mine runs alright, better than i expected

60fps but then again I only play games on a 1280x1024 monitor... it looks pretty damn good too.. enabling it to use ram as vram lets me max everything, but then I only get 30fps :/

q66 @ 3.6 4gb ram and 4850 too

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I bought San Andreas about a month ago off of Steam, but I can't get into it after 3 attempts because the controls are so god-awful. I would like to try GTA4 at some point, but if the controls are just as bad, I will pass.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
It was kind of a hassle managing San Andreas on the PC. I used a dual analog gamepad for driving and piloting, and keyboard plus mouse for shooting. I remember it being kind of cumbersome to switch between the two.

Not to mention the game wasn't stable at all, and I'd get pretty frequent lock ups.

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: AmberClad
It was kind of a hassle managing San Andreas on the PC. I used a dual analog gamepad for driving and piloting, and keyboard plus mouse for shooting. I remember it being kind of cumbersome to switch between the two.

This is exactly what I use also. Can get annoying switching back and forth, but worth the effort if you're going to play.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Was GTA III that bad? I ran it on a pentium IV with 128mb RDRAM and a geforce 2mx. It would slow down after half an hour and i would have to quit and reload, but i had to do that with unreal 2 as well, i just assumed my comp sucked.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I've always used only the keyboard and mouse for all the GTA games.

Originally posted by: Martimus
I bought San Andreas about a month ago off of Steam, but I can't get into it after 3 attempts because the controls are so god-awful. I would like to try GTA4 at some point, but if the controls are just as bad, I will pass.

What do you mean by controls? You do know that you can re-map the key, right?

Originally posted by: Maximilian
Was GTA III that bad? I ran it on a pentium IV with 128mb RDRAM and a geforce 2mx. It would slow down after half an hour and i would have to quit and reload, but i had to do that with unreal 2 as well, i just assumed my comp sucked.

Yeah, GTA3 didn't even play too well on my 128MB GF ti4200 machine. VC was much more smooth and looked better, too.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: bamacre
I've always used only the keyboard and mouse for all the GTA games.

What do you mean by controls? You do know that you can re-map the key, right?

I mean that it was too difficult to do the most basic things like walk and drive and shoot. It wasn't how the keys were mapped, but the general feel of the game. I probably need to purchase an analog gamepad if I really want to play console ports like this and have them be enjoyable instead of frustrating.

Not to mention the game wasn't stable at all, and I'd get pretty frequent lock ups.

Thanks. I just may bite the bullet and buy an analog gamepad.

I would like to buy an analog joystick for space fighter sims (Like Wing Commander), since I really enjoyed them when I used to play them and my old one uses a game port - which is obsolete now. Of course, I haven't gotten a replacement because I haven't seen a game since WC4 (or X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, whichever is newer) that I actually wanted to play.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
If you own a console, then you can get a really cheap USB adapter for the controllers on eBay. I have one for both PS2 and XBOX1, and they work well. In XP that is -- the 3rd party drivers aren't certified for Vista x64, so I have a Saitek Cyborg Rumble for that.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I use a wired 360 controller for driving and mouse/keyboard for on foot.
Works well for me.

And game runs well on my rig, i enabled V-sync(i hate tearing) , and changed the aniso to 16x and texture filtering to high quality in the Nvidia control panel....game looks fine to me and runs well.

Using highest texture settings in game as well, along with the other draw/shadow/detail distance settings the game set when i benched it at 1920x1200.

Of course my rig is a bit above minimum specs. :D
Vista 64
Q6600 @3.4ghz
8gb DDR2 1000
1gb GTX 280
300gb Velociraptor
640gb WD AAKS
X-fi

Now, having to start and run two other programs to run the game, just plain sucks, and im sure that contributes to the games poor overall performance on some systems.

Anyway, it runs well, and looks great, and has been stable for me with no crashes, slowdowns or hiccups....so i guess i cant complain too much.

Luckily when i got my new Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo, i decided to put my q6600 back in and moved my e8400 to my backup pc, othwerwise, i'd probably be really bashing the games performance right now.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
If you own a console, then you can get a really cheap USB adapter for the controllers on eBay. I have one for both PS2 and XBOX1, and they work well. In XP that is -- the 3rd party drivers aren't certified for Vista x64, so I have a Saitek Cyborg Rumble for that.

I'll look into that. I do have a PS2, so I could do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I remember all 3 of the old GTA PS2 triology running like crap on the PC

GTA3 was buggy, though not unreasonable for the hardware at the time. (geforce ti 200 played it fairly well...may have been patches that made it play better though)
GTA:VC ran horribly on the same hardware, but was much more reasonable given the hardware that was out by then.
San Andreas was even worse.

GTA4 looks like it takes the cake though in terms of cpu requirements.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I thought GTA3 ran great back in the day... and I didn't exactly have a top of the line computer

San Andreas worked wonderfully for me, although Vice City ran like shit

I haven't tried GTA4

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
I've never had any problems running any GTA. I'm waiting to play 4 though

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'm not ganna play GTA4 until I get a quad seeing as you basically need a quad to get stable frames.