In states (all have Repub governors) that cut off $300 extended unemployment benefits, job vacancies are still not being filled

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
You do realize that data isn't instantaneous, right?

Not just that, but the overwhelming majority of the population doesn't watch or read news publications, so plenty are probably just blissfully unaware until they request a payment 2 weeks after the deadline.

The majority of the unemployed also got paid more than they did while employed for 6+ months straight. So... not exactly digging for loose change in the car kind of desperation at this point.
You do realize you are a fucking idiot right? First, many of these businesses where having issues finding help BEFORE the pandemic. The pandemic just amplified that problem. Also, if you look into baby boomers, (those born from 1946 to 1964), do the math (I know, you have difficulties with math).. you will realize that they are retiring in mass numbers, without enough workers to replace them. Then you add in the fact that many have realized that they "thought" they where doing fine, until the pandemic hit, when they realize they where never fine financially, and have been being shit on for years by low wages and such. Add into the mix people with the same shitty ideology as you, and here we are.

You don't need to watch the news or even understand everything that is happening to still see help wanted signs everywhere.. Those signs would be gone instantly if the positions where being filled. There is no delay in seeing such results.. Also, no, most employees have not been getting more on unemployment unless they had federal minimum wage jobs, because most have been on only getting the federal additional $300 a week as most have depleted their state unemployment benefits 3 months ago. But hey, keep working that right wing angle of bullshit and lies.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 8, 2012
You do realize you are a fucking idiot right? First, many of these businesses where having issues finding help BEFORE the pandemic.

That would be from a tight labor and low unemployment dum-dum lol. Entirely separate issue.

The pandemic just amplified that problem. Also, if you look into baby boomers, (those born from 1946 to 1964), do the math (I know, you have difficulties with math).. you will realize that they are retiring in mass numbers, without enough workers to replace them.

Thats for skilled labor silly, were talking entry level jobs for people like you and the immigrants you so valiantly proclaim to care about.

Then you add in the fact that many have realized that they "thought" they where doing fine, until the pandemic hit, when they realize they where never fine financially, and have been being shit on for years by low wages and such. Add into the mix people with the same shitty ideology as you, and here we are.

lol so if they "where [sic] never fine financially" then I guess if the unemployment benefits stopped then I guess they are just starving themselves and waiting to be evicted - but also too high and mighty to take the jobs as you state.

You don't need to watch the news or even understand everything that is happening to still see help wanted signs everywhere.. Those signs would be gone instantly if the positions where being filled. There is no delay in seeing such results.. Also, no, most employees have not been getting more on unemployment unless they had federal minimum wage jobs, because most have been on only getting the federal additional $300 a week as most have depleted their state unemployment benefits 3 months ago. But hey, keep working that right wing angle of bullshit and lies.

Basically "Why use facts and statistics when you can use anecdotes, cherry picked data, and your FEELINGS instead?" lol.

Presuming they ACTUALLY became unemployed - the overwhelming bulk of people received both the $300 federally, and $175-250 from state benefits.

@ $500 every weeks thats $12.50/hr. But thats only $12.50 if you're talking a full work week of 40 hours. The overwhelming majority of any and EVERY single fast-food worker, retail worker, etc... do not work full 40 hours. They were massively being paid more than what they previously were - in addition to not having Federal, social security, and medicare withholdings. Nice try toolbag lol.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That would be from a tight labor and low unemployment dum-dum lol. Entirely separate issue.

Thats for skilled labor silly, were talking entry level jobs for people like you and the immigrants you so valiantly proclaim to care about.

lol so if they "where [sic] never fine financially" then I guess if the unemployment benefits stopped then I guess they are just starving themselves and waiting to be evicted - but also too high and mighty to take the jobs as you state.

Basically "Why use facts and statistics when you can use anecdotes, cherry picked data, and your FEELINGS instead?" lol.

Presuming they ACTUALLY became unemployed - the overwhelming bulk of people received both the $300 federally, and $175-250 from state benefits.

@ $500 every weeks thats $12.50/hr. But thats only $12.50 if you're talking a full work week of 40 hours. The overwhelming majority of any and EVERY single fast-food worker, retail worker, etc... do not work full 40 hours. They were massively being paid more than what they previously were - in addition to not having Federal, social security, and medicare withholdings. Nice try toolbag lol.
Maybe before telling other people to use facts you should make sure yours are right.

1) According to the NRF ~70% of retail workers are full time and this appears to broadly align with BLS data.

Twenty nine percent of retail employees are part-time, providing an option for those who need flexibility, including students pursuing a degree, working parents and teenagers.

2) Unemployment benefits in 2021 are subject to both federal and state income taxes. (in most states 2020 unemployment was taxable too)

Durrrrrrrrrrr.

Nov 8, 2012
Maybe before telling other people to use facts you should make sure yours are right.

1) According to the NRF ~70% of retail workers are full time and this appears to broadly align with BLS data.

2) Unemployment benefits in 2021 are subject to both federal and state income taxes. (in most states 2020 unemployment was taxable too)

Durrrrrrrrrrr.

Full Time != 40 hours. Nice try.

Yes, while Unemployment benefits are subject to Federal income tax (NOT FICA - SS/Medicare) - as part of the latest stimulus bill the first $10.5k or so of unemployment income doesn't count as income. THEN on top of that, you have the standard deduction that everyone is qualified for - which gives another $12,500 that isn't taxable.

So you only pay taxes on unemployment if you made more than $23k which if you make over that is a mere 10%. Cry me a river sugar tits ;)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

lol.

Yes, while Unemployment benefits are subject to Federal income tax (NOT FICA - SS/Medicare) - as part of the latest stimulus bill the first $10.5k or so of unemployment income doesn't count as income. THEN on top of that, you have the standard deduction that everyone is qualified for - which gives another $12,500 that isn't taxable.

So you only pay taxes on unemployment if you made more than $23k which if you make over that is a mere 10%. Cry me a river sugar tits ;)
That was only true for 2020, genius. People getting them today are fully subject to federal income tax.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018

Missouri scrapped federal pay to the unemployed, saying it kept people out of the labor market.
But so far, workers still seem to be choosy.

Work-force development officials said they had seen virtually no uptick in applicants since the governor’s announcement, which ended a $300 weekly supplement to other benefits. And the online job site Indeed found that in states that have abandoned the federal benefits, clicks on job postings were below the national average.

the job squeeze has given many job seekers the confidence that they can push for higher wages or wait until employers come around.

Wages, hours and a short commute are what matter most to job seekers, she said, and few would work for less than $14 an hour (in St Louis).
<Incidentally, In St. Louis, a single person needs to earn $14 an hour to cover basic expenses at a minimum standard.>

Last month (May), many Repub governors said no more $300 extended unemployment benefits because it incentivized people to stay out of the work force.
They were wrong. (Repubs wrong? I'm shocked i tell you. S H O C K E D.)

A month later (June), people still arent taking low paying jobs. (servers, front-desk receptionists, Housekeepers, etc)
It could take a few weeks or even a couple of months for the effects to show up. Dont forget in addition to the extended unemployment benefits, there were also 2000 dollars per person in recent stimulus checks. So we will see how things fall out eventually. I personally do know someone who paid rent ahead until August with the latest stimulus. Dont forget for two people living together, that is 4000 dollars, and if you have kids, even more is coming.

I think the payments had some effect, but not a major one. For better or worse, attitudes to unattractive jobs/pay seem to be changing. Personally I am old school and from a very poor background, so I dont really understand the reluctance to take an "unattractive" job if you cant find anything else, but that seems to be the attitude now, for better or worse. (get off my lawn).

Edit: I also think there is some residual fear of getting or at least passing on Covid, especially for those who have unvaccinated or immunocompromised family members.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Take the example of Casey's General Stores, a midwest convince store/gas station outlet. Casey's hires their own truck drivers to deliver gas to their gas stations. When the pandemic hit, Casey's laid off a lot of those drivers due to a drop in gas sales and cutting back on store hours, so..... those drivers simply moved on to other jobs be it another truck driving position with another company or maybe something new like working for UPS or Amazon. And now, Casey's needs their drivers back however those drivers have moved on. And despite being a billion dollar company, Casey's pays their workers crap wages, including their drivers, so who wouldn't move on???

THIS is a problem not for the worker, but for the company. Their workers have moved on. And especially within the restaurant business where a laid off ex-waiter is now working for UPS or Amazon or Walmart or whomever. The restaurant business was the first to go under when the pandemic hit, and those restaurant workers have moved on to more stable employment. So it's not the $300 or the extended unemployment benefits nor the stimulus checks, no it's not.... It is the desire for a more stable reliable occupation. You can't blame it all on lazy people that don't want to work, you need to blame it on unstable occupations and..... the low wages. Republican ran states who governors believed it was all about lazy people, you can easily see how detached from reality those republican governors are. If ANYONE is lazy here, it is those republican governors who failed TO DO THEIR HOMEWORK.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Best Buy CEO lists 4 reasons why they're having trouble hiring right now and...surprise surprise...unemployment benefits aren't one of them:

Best Buy CEO: These 4 challenges are why it's hard to hire workers right now - CNN

- The first is the ongoing struggle of parents dealing with children at home. "There is a real lack of childcare that still exists," Barry said.
- Secondly, "there are still health concerns," Barry said. "And people who maybe don't want a career in retail due to health concerns."

- Third, retail is among the jobs that have changed most heavily over the last year. At many companies staff members were turned into essential front-line workers overnight, as unlike those in other industries they couldn't work from home. Not every retail worker may want to continue to sign up for that as the pandemic continues.
- Finally, companies like Best Buy are facing more competition for staff. Major companies including Under Armour (UA), Amazon (AMZN) and Walmart (WMT), have raised their minimum wage to attract workers.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
We can see from the reaction of conservatives that they absolutely loathe the idea of people making decent wages with lower skill jobs. It keeps them up at night. They want them to be working poor and have no healthcare and anything else bad that can happen to them. Because ultimately the key tenet of being a conservative is having someone to look at and think, that fucker is below me. Whether it's because of the characteristic of conservatives to be racist, or sexist, or in this case, classist. Most conservatives are happiest when they can discriminate against someone or know that someone somehwere is feeling shitty because of things beyond their control.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We can see from the reaction of conservatives that they absolutely loathe the idea of people making decent wages with lower skill jobs. It keeps them up at night. They want them to be working poor and have no healthcare and anything else bad that can happen to them. Because ultimately the key tenet of being a conservative is having someone to look at and think, that fucker is below me. Whether it's because of the characteristic of conservatives to be racist, or sexist, or in this case, classist. Most conservatives are happiest when they can discriminate against someone or know that someone somehwere is feeling shitty because of things beyond their control.
The best fundamental way to increase wages is to make a situation where companies need to compete for workers. It is very telling that conservatives are enraged by this idea.

Nov 8, 2012
The best fundamental way to increase wages is to make a situation where companies need to compete for workers. It is very telling that conservatives are enraged by this idea.

Government funding != Free market companies that "need to compete for workers". It's setting a false baseline of the free market economy.

I'm sorry you're too mentally retarded to understand these basic principles in life.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Government funding != Free market companies that "need to compete for workers". It's setting a false baseline of the free market economy.

I'm sorry you're too mentally retarded to understand these basic principles in life.
I’m sorry you’re too mentally retarded to verify multiple basic facts in your previous posts.

I’ve asked you this before but you’ve never answered. You talk a lot about how stupid other people are - if you had to rate your own intelligence where would you put it?

Personally I think you’re average or a bit below average. The thing is you’re also lazy and arrogant so you highlight your deficiencies where similarly incapable people try to hide them.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

I see you missed the point dumb dumb.. not a completely different issue.. It's the same issue that we are facing now, just amplified by the pandemic..

once again, you have your head up your ass, the majority of all jobs are considered entry level, low skill jobs (baby boomers have a lot of those jobs as well).. This has Zero to do with immigration, stop trying to deflect to something that is entirely different. Also the majority of the retiring baby boomers who are 65+ and older are part time entry level jobs such as door greeters and such at Walmart..

Hey dumb fuck.. 75% of households where living pay check to pay check before the pandemic. No, they won't let themselves starve, they will get better paying jobs you fucking idiot. You think people are stupid and expect them to just go back to the same low paying jobs and continue to be treated like shit.. Do you beat your wife, and expect her to come back and keep taking it.? because that's the mentality you think most American's have.

I'm not cherry picking date.. Again you are showing just how fucking dumb you are.. you have 26 weeks state benefits.. that was extended by another 13 weeks in the original pandemic package.. Biden extended the eligibly for that 13 week extension until September.. It is unclear if it was another 13 weeks on top of the original extension, or just an extension of eligibility of the original 13 weeks. Guess what that means,, EVEN IF IT WAS AN ADDITION 13 WEEKS... THEY RAN THAT OUT THE FIRST WEEK OF APRIL!. There are also a group of workers who where never eligible for state level unemployment because the work they do like performers and such...

So your whole $500 is out the windows.. the Majority are getting only $300 a week from federal money.(taxes have already been covered by others) It's sad that you are so out of touch of facts!

As I said, you are going to keep spreading your conservative right wing lies and manipulation, and showing your stupidity as usual

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaQ

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

full time is considered 30+ hours now. Has been like that for nearly a decade now. Which is why people have to work 2 jobs in many cases now days because many companies keep people under 30 hours a week because of the medical requirement of full time employees over 30 hours. Learn what the fuck you are talking about before you post.

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
That was precisely my point you complete moron lol.

Thanks for proving it.

Do you understand what Full time != 40 hours is?

You first based your work week on 40 hours a week in the prior post to me. Coming back and trying to back pedal and reply !=40 to another person doesn't mean a damn thing. Which makes you the moron you fucking idiot, because all you said is full time does not equal 40 hours.. well what the fuck is full time them? did you define it? Nope! But you did imply that 40 hours a week was full time (full work week, which is the same thing) in your prior response to me. So your point was, as usual, fucking pointless with zero substance, and your normal manipulation.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I’m sorry you’re too mentally retarded to verify multiple basic facts in your previous posts.

I’ve asked you this before but you’ve never answered. You talk a lot about how stupid other people are - if you had to rate your own intelligence where would you put it?

Personally I think you’re average or a bit below average. The thing is you’re also lazy and arrogant so you highlight your deficiencies where similarly incapable people try to hide them.
I've got him ~as someone who couldn't hack it at coding so the company redefined his role to "configuring" the software instead.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69
Nov 8, 2012
You first based your work week on 40 hours a week in the prior post to me. Coming back and trying to back pedal and reply !=40 to another person doesn't mean a damn thing. Which makes you the moron you fucking idiot, because all you said is full time does not equal 40 hours.. well what the fuck is full time them? did you define it? Nope! But you did imply that 40 hours a week was full time (full work week, which is the same thing) in your prior response to me. So your point was, as usual, fucking pointless with zero substance, and your normal manipulation.

You're slow - but now you've hit retard level.

I said originally in response to eskimospy who made a quote of people working FULL TIME, when I quoted the equivalent hourly rate for unemployment. The obvious point being - the people on unemployment didn't work 40 hours a week, thus basing the hourly pay on 40 hours a week doesn't make sense.

Honestly, don't even know what you're basing your post on, so I'm going to presume you're too ineptly stupid to understand that ! is the equivalency of "does not".

Did I spoon feed you enough little boy?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I've got him ~as someone who couldn't hack it at coding so the company redefined his role to "configuring" the software instead.
I’ve got him as someone of middling ability at a low stakes firm where most mediocre people sniff their own farts into retirement.

• Haha

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Exactly. It wouldn't matter if it were a labor shortage born of residue from a pandemic or if it happened without Covid. Conservatives simply abhor and loathe the potential for workers, especially low skill workers, to have any leverage whatsoever and conservatives would not be able to sleep at night knowing that low skill workers can have decent livelihoods. It's an anathema to them. They thrive on knowing there is a lower class that no matter how hard many of them work, will live substandard lives and not be able to have the same opportunities as everyone else. This is why they also tend to lean racist, and also misogynistic. It's just part of being a conservative American - you need to have people to look down on. If you can't look down on them in a classist way, at least you get other options like race, ethnicity or gender or sexuality.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
You're slow - but now you've hit retard level.

I said originally in response to eskimospy who made a quote of people working FULL TIME, when I quoted the equivalent hourly rate for unemployment. The obvious point being - the people on unemployment didn't work 40 hours a week, thus basing the hourly pay on 40 hours a week doesn't make sense.

Honestly, don't even know what you're basing your post on, so I'm going to presume you're too ineptly stupid to understand that ! is the equivalency of "does not".

Did I spoon feed you enough little boy?
I'm slow? you are a fucking idiot trying to manipulate what's in black an white right in front of us. fskimospy's post was in response to your stupidity YOU responded to me with, where you brought up the 40 hours full work week and shit. NO, you don't have an obvious point, because there are many people who where on unemployment who Did work 40 hours and more a week at one job, with many working beyond that as they worked 2 and 3 jobs, which during the pandemic, many of these people working multiple jobs lost all of them.. Unemployment is not based off just one of those jobs, it's based off of all hours of all jobs. At the end of the day, you can't even keep straight your own twisted manipulation of BS. You tried to argue with me basing your argument on a 40 hour work week, then tried to downplay the full time aspect of the same twisted bullshit not being 40 hours a week when you responded to fskimospy. So the only thing you are trying to spoon feed anyone is your normal manipulated Bullshit talking out both sides of your mouth.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: s0me0nesmind1
Nov 8, 2012
I'm slow? you are a fucking idiot trying to manipulate what's in black an white right in front of us. fskimospy's post was in response to your stupidity YOU responded to me with, where you brought up the 40 hours full work week and shit. NO, you don't have an obvious point, because there are many people who where on unemployment who Did work 40 hours and more a week at one job, with many working beyond that as they worked 2 and 3 jobs, which during the pandemic, many of these people working multiple jobs lost all of them.. Unemployment is not based off just one of those jobs, it's based off of all hours of all jobs. At the end of the day, you can't even keep straight your own twisted manipulation of BS. You tried to argue with me basing your argument on a 40 hour work week, then tried to downplay the full time aspect of the same twisted bullshit not being 40 hours a week when you responded to fskimospy. So the only thing you are trying to spoon feed anyone is your normal manipulated Bullshit talking out both sides of your mouth.

hahahahahaaha oh god there really is no hope for you.....