In search of a new fan for my Kuhler 620

Kaoss

Mar 13, 2013
I recently upgraded from a Hyper 212+ to a Kuhler 620. I've been using my GT AP-15s since I first got my Hyper 212+ in push/pull config and they've been absolutely spectacular.

However, I'm sad to say that lately both fans have been showing signs of "wear," as both of my GT AP-15s have developed sort of a buzzing noise coming from the bearings. It's difficult to describe what the noise is like exactly, but think of it as something of a mechanical scuffing noise that increases into a higher pitched buzz as the rpms increase. The fan itself is remarkably quiet even at 1850rpm but the bearing noise is just simply unbearable.

I'm not sure I want to stick with the AP-15s as I know a couple guys who also have had bearings develop noises as time goes by. There are tons of comparisons online about what fans to use for rads, but they're all more generalized reviews and not specifically about the Kuhler 620 in pull config.

I have my eyes on the Corsair SP120 as well as the Noctua NF-F12 PWM (which, I've read is rather disappointing in comparison to the GT AP-15).

If anyone else has personal experiences with the Kuhler 620 with those fans, please chime in! I'm not exactly looking for pure silence, as my Phenom II 965 BE does get rather warm at 4.0GHz, but something that doesn't sound like a jet engine taking off would be nice.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Never tried Corsairs before but I could vouch for Noctua as I do run a pair of NF-P12s. Wear and tear is common for a fan and it is no exception for the Scythe GTs. Open it up and give the bearings some thick oil/grease, it should help alleviate the noise.

Liquid_Static

Jan 6, 2013
I just bought 2 of the Noctua NF-F12's for my Antec 620 (Moving from SP120), and I have to say I'm very impressed. They keep temps within 1 degree of the sp120's, but are 10000% quieter.

crazymonkeyzero

Feb 25, 2012
Corsair Air Series SP fans are really good. I have them paired with my H60 and can say that they are great in terms of Static Pressure to noise ratio. The noctuas would be more silent, but also, would push less air and would be much more expensive (like double the price). I would buy 2 SPs and run push pull if you have room in your case.

bleucharm28

Sep 27, 2008
I have both Noctua NF-P12s and Gentle Typhoon in 120's. They both perform equally well. I kinda favor Noctua a bit due to feel of the fan, quality of the build. Not to say the GT Scythe is cheap. But Noctua is definitely up a notch. Both Noctua and GT are still performing really well since I purchased these 3 years ago. Expensive, but worth it in the long run.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Didn't the Kuhler come with fans? Have you tried using those?

aarontpx

Apr 3, 2013
Sp120s at over 80% (2k+ rpm) sound like an effing jet just fyi. You should hear them at max. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
I kinda favor Noctua a bit due to feel of the fan, quality of the build.
This. I know that the color choice could've been better but I have yet held a fan that is as heavy and has a frame as rigid as Noctua's, in comparison with my Noiseblocker XLPs.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
relube the bearing.

Peal the GT sticker half way off so u see a hole in the center.
Thats where the bearing is.

Get some lubricant... and put a couple of drops in the hole.. then spin the fan.

Allow the lubricant to seep though and repeat about 2 more times.

put sticker back over hole... and the fan should be good.

asking for a fan replacement to the GT is like asking ford owner he wants to replace his Shelby GT and not a Fusion Eco.
Its not going to happen cheap, its not going to happen without sacrifices, or getting another shelby.

This. I know that the color choice could've been better but I have yet held a fan that is as heavy and has a frame as rigid as Noctua's, in comparison with my Noiseblocker XLPs.

PISH...
u guys right now are all zipping around me in gokarts going my 50cc motor dominates!
Well pray a guy doesnt come with this.

IMG_1377.jpg

Im still a san ace person... there's a reason why its one of the most trusted fans in the enterprise world.

Last edited:

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Im still a san ace person... there's a reason why its one of the most trusted fans in the enterprise world.
I like San Ace but not for its looks. If I ever get any, it'll be tuck away in some corner of my case where nobody gets to see it. Probably get some 4k RPM ones. :sneaky:

Kaoss

Mar 13, 2013
Alright, the local store doesn't have the NF-F12 in stock right now for at least another month or so, so I guess I'll re-oil my GT AP-15 first.

Any ideas what kind of oil/lube to use?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Alright, the local store doesn't have the NF-F12 in stock right now for at least another month or so, so I guess I'll re-oil my GT AP-15 first.

Any ideas what kind of oil/lube to use?
Low viscosity machine oil (WD40, etc) works as it seeps down into the bearings easily. You could use high viscosity oil/grease as it will stay longer in the bearings and be less affected by the centrifugal force of the fan, but it does not go down easily through the hole that aigomorla mentioned.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Use gear oil, or machine oil, watch oil.
You can also get R/C gear / motor oil at a hobby store.

Dont use WD40.
WD40 is a Anti Rust cleaner.. not a real lubricant, unless u get the one meant for lubricants.

https://brightnest.com/posts/the-real-uses-for-wd-40-lubricant-degreaser-or-neither
"3. Bike chains. To the casual cyclist, WD-40 may seem like a logical choice to lubricate a chain. Don’t do it! After a few minutes of use, WD-40 won’t be lubricating your chain anymore, but it will be collecting all kinds of dirt and road-grease while you cruise around."

same applies for a spinning fan blade.

Last edited: