In need of a good riddle...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: DaShen
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
Originally posted by: letdown427
Caps:

First guy says the colour of the cap in front of him (or behind, gues sit depends where DaShen starts killing)

He may die, he may not. Next guy now knows the colour of his hat. He can say that colour, and if it's different to the enxt one in the line, cough/do some other signal and so it continues. Then there's the spiteful guy that wants to see the next guy dead... but yeh, that would work.

No sound except for your hat color. Sorry. :(

I had one similar to your that dealt with variable lag times to say you hat color. It was accurate, but once timing was taken out of the equation, I had to rethink the problem

could the signal be: if i see a similar colored hat on the next person's head i keep my eyes open when i say my color, otherwise, i close my eyes when i say my color.

or does the solution not require a signal?

Remember that the person in the back knows all the colors of all the people in front of him. What is the quickest way to dispense the most information about hat colors to the others by just saying one of the colors?

I'm sure that by the time I get to the end of the thread someone else would have figured it out. But, the solution is to just a parity check. The first guy has to give the parity of the people in front of him but may or may not be right about his hat. But everyone in front can just count and keep track of the parity to get their hat color right.

Allanv

May 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Allanv
write on some paper this 10 10 10

and with one stroke of the pen turn that into 950 do not scribble on the paper just 1 stroke

Hmmmm... interesting. How do you do that?

10 T0 10 look 1 stroke :)

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
10 to 10? :confused:

Oh, 9:50 AM.. :p
Okay.. :p
I tried finding the solution in binary code, but it took way more than one stroke.

Allanv

May 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Adn4n
Originally posted by: 02ranger
I don't know how old this is, but I got it from my Dad's boss. It doesn't work too good on paper, but spoken it tricks most people.

Think of words that end in -gry. Hungry and Angry are two of them. There are three words in the english language. What is the third word?

Answer

The answer is language. It should really be written as There are three words in "The English Language." I just didn't want to give it away in case somebody hasn't seen it before. I actually never could find another word that ends in gry. Thats the best I have for now.

Hungary is an English word

but that dont end it gry does it

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
1. -gry
2. -hungry
3. .gry
4. aggry
5. angry
6. annagry
7. badagry
8. cogry
9. con?yger or con?igry
10. feel hungry
11. fm- and tv-mast zygry
12. fm and tv mast zygry
13. gagry
14. get angry
15. how we are hungry
16. iggry
17. igry
18. john f. pingry (wtf)
19. john f pingry
20. jozsef egry
21. kingry
22. lake wigry
23. make angry
24. man-hungry
25. man hungry
26. muzzle enegry :)Q!)
27. nangry
28. not angry
29. onegry
30. pingry
31. puggry
32. qgry
33. stay hungry
34. still hungry
35. unangry
36. wgry
37. wigry
38. wegry

http://www.onelook.com/?w=%2Agry&ls=a

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Oldie but goodie

What is greater than God.
Worse than the devil.
Rich people want it
Poor people already have it
You'll die if you eat it.

What am I?

Xyo II

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2005
Originally posted by: DefDC
Oldie but goodie

What is greater than God.
Worse than the devil.
Rich people want it
Poor people already have it
You'll die if you eat it.

What am I?

Nothing.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: brikis98
You are at a well. You have an empty jug that can hold eight quarts of water. You also have two empty jars, one holding five quarts, the other holding three quarts.

You need to measure out exactly four quarts. How you do dat?
fill the three quart jug. pour all 3 quarts into the five quart jug. fill the three quart jug again. pour everything that will fit into the five quart jug. this will leave 1 quart in the 3 quart jug and 5 quarts in the 5 quart jug. empty the 5 quart jug. pour the 1 quart from the 3 quart jug into the 5 quart jug. fill the 3 quart jug again. pour those 3 quarts into the 5 quart jug. you now have 4 quarts.

EDIT: forgot to mention. i've had MANY of these as interview questions (for software jobs).

Couldn't you fill the empty 5 quart jar, then take the 5 quart jar and use it to fill the 3 quart jar, leaving 2 quarts remaining in the 5 quart jug, put those 2 quarts in the 8 quart jug, and just repeat this once, putting 4 quarts in 8 quart jug?