"In my 22 years of doing visits with children in detention, I've never heard of this level of inhumanity"

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
"A 2-year-old boy locked in detention wants to be held all the time. A few girls, ages 10 to 15, say they've been doing their best to feed and soothe the clingy toddler who was handed to them by a guard days ago."

"Three girls told attorneys they were trying to take care of the 2-year-old boy, who had wet his pants and no diaper and was wearing a mucus-smeared shirt when the legal team encountered him"

"A Border Patrol agent came in our room with a 2-year-od boy and asked us, 'Who wants to take care of this little boy?' Another girl said she would take care of him, but she lost interest after a few hours and so I started taking care of him yesterday," one of the girls said.

"Law professor Warren Binford, who is helping interview the children, said she couldn't learn anything about the toddler, not even where he's from or who his family is."

"She said an 8-year-old taking care of a very small 4-year-old with matted hair couldn't convince the little one to take a shower."

"'In my 22 years of doing visits with children in detention, I've never heard of this level of inhumanity,' said Holly Cooper, who co-directs University of California, Davis' Immigration Law Clinic and represent detained youth."

"The lawyers negotiated access to the facility with officials, and say Border Patrol knew the dates of their visit three weeks in advance.

The thread continues:

Pulled from this article:
https://www.apnews.com/46da2dbe04f54adbb875cfbc06bbc615

Make no mistake, Americans living during this time will be remembered for their brutality, their cruelty, and for their failure to stop what is happening at the border.

Jan 25, 2011
I'm just going to again post this to demonstrate the lack of compassion and decency this administration has.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry...-soap-toothbrushes_n_5d0c1f37e4b07ae90d9a8b0d

A Justice Department attorney this week argued in court that the federal government should not be required to provide soap, toothbrushes or even beds to detained children apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Government lawyer Sarah Fabian argued Tuesday before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit that forcing children to sleep on cold concrete floors in cells is both “safe and sanitary.”

Attorneys for the detained children are arguing that the government is not following the requirements of a 1997 settlement agreement in the case of Jenny Flores that established a framework for the humane treatment and release of detained migrant minors. Children must be housed in “safe and sanitary conditions” under the settlement. A district judge added the specific requirements that children be provided with soap and toothbrushes.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
This is the new normal. The extreme levels of reverse partisanship means the highest priority is to deny "the other team" from addressing their concerns no matter what the knock-on effects. GOP resists the Dem priority of gun control laws even as mass killings happen. Dems resist the GOP priority of stopping the flow of illegal immigrants at the border even as the federal agencies are out of money to provide counseling, school, or even basic hygiene products for those who do arrive. Rinse and repeat for other issues.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
This is the new normal. The extreme levels of reverse partisanship means the highest priority is to deny "the other team" from addressing their concerns no matter what the knock-on effects. GOP resists the Dem priority of gun control laws even as mass killings happen. Dems resist the GOP priority of stopping the flow of illegal immigrants at the border even as the federal agencies are out of money to provide counseling, school, or even basic hygiene products for those who do arrive. Rinse and repeat for other issues.

glenn1 - shoving them into the box cars with a little smile on his face.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Dems resist the GOP priority of stopping the flow of illegal immigrants at the border
This is, of course, a load of crap. As a group, the Dems have shown both a willingness to fund border security and to pass comprehensive immigration reform. Hell, they've even been perfectly willing to fund physical barriers where it actually makes sense to build it. It's just a continent-spanning boondoggle that would be a terrible way to *actually* stop the flow of illegal immigrants at the border that they've choked on.

Reactions: jman19

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Certainly I agree that inhumane condition are not acceptable and need to be changed.

It would help if there was more of a barrier. To make it easier for military and border patrol to repel those crossing the border. Rather than just loading up new arrivals in detention.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Disgusting and heart breaking, and par the course for the racist "pro-life" republicans. When Jewish historians say ,"No, the concentration camp comparison is apt," there is no lip sticking this pig.

The GOP criminals deserve every single bit of hate this is going to cause them in 2020, may the fuck be upon these fascists and traitors.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
It would help if there was more of a barrier. To make it easier for military and border patrol to repel those crossing the border. Rather than just loading up new arrivals in detention.

I think you underestimate the level of desperation involved in undergo the level of hardship that many of these people have in order to get to the US to think that a wall is going to make any difference to their plight.

What might* make an effective deterrent though is the knowledge of atrocities being inflicted upon immigrants and asylum seekers by the authorities, which funnily enough is just what the Trump administration is serving up.

As I've said before: If you don't want immigrants and asylum seekers to come to your country, then you have to make it worse than where they're coming from.

* - I originally said 'would'.

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
This is, of course, a load of crap. As a group, the Dems have shown both a willingness to fund border security and to pass comprehensive immigration reform. Hell, they've even been perfectly willing to fund physical barriers where it actually makes sense to build it. It's just a continent-spanning boondoggle that would be a terrible way to *actually* stop the flow of illegal immigrants at the border that they've choked on.

He vacillates between saying "Obama did the same thing!" and "Democrats won't do anything about the border!" because he's a nihilist who doesn't care about anything except making brown people suffer.

Edit: and in this case specifically, brown children.

Reactions: Meghan54 and jman19

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
the gop dont see these people as people. That was the first thing the nazis did as well. Dehumanize the enemy so you can do horrible things to them. We are repeating history exactly. Blame economic problems on a minority group, dehumanize the minority group, use force on the minority group. Its pathetic.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I think you underestimate the level of desperation involved in undergo the level of hardship that many of these people have in order to get to the US to think that a wall is going to make any difference to their plight.

What would make an effective deterrent though is the knowledge of atrocities being inflicted upon immigrants and asylum seekers by the authorities, which funnily enough is just what the Trump administration is serving up.

As I've said before: If you don't want immigrants and asylum seekers to come to your country, then you have to make it worse than where they're coming from.
An apt comparison would be that goofy movie, Elysium. 'If only we had something better than the vacuum of space and missile ordinance, those pesky grounders would stop trying to get here to save their children'.

No physical or psychological trauma will stop the flow of migrants from the south. We could literally start opening fire on all tanned people in all border states regardless of citizenship, and people would STILL find a way to hop the border and sneak through AZ or NM. If one believes there to be a problem, the fix has to be a policy one.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The thing is, let's just say you label them as "illegals" and want/plan/will ship them back to their country. For argument's sake, let's just say we're all on the side of doing that. How can ANYONE defend the fact that this is how we treat them until we send them back to where they came? How can this be acceptable treatment in any shape way or form?

I can "understand" (please note the quotation marks) people for not wanting immigrants and such from coming here. But I can not understand why those people are Ok with how they are dealt with - especially the children. Yes THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

This is where some smart ass says "well, their parents should have thought of them!"
Well they didn't, you asshole. So we have to. We're fucking America. We are (or were?) better than this.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Your parenthetical was correct. We were better than this, we aren't anymore.
I know. So maybe Trump is right.
If I were Bernie or Warren etc, I'd use the slogan "Make America Great Again" in my campaign. They'd be right in the hope.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The thing is, let's just say you label them as "illegals" and want/plan/will ship them back to their country. For argument's sake, let's just say we're all on the side of doing that. How can ANYONE defend the fact that this is how we treat them until we send them back to where they came? How can this be acceptable treatment in any shape way or form?

This question is easily side-stepped by a firm belief in the just-world hypothesis. Some people grow out of this childish belief, others regress back to it.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

I can "understand" (please note the quotation marks) people for not wanting immigrants and such from coming here. But I can not understand why those people are Ok with how they are dealt with - especially the children. Yes THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

This is where some smart ass says "well, their parents should have thought of them!"
Well they didn't, you asshole. So we have to. We're fucking America. We are (or were?) better than this.

I won't say that because I agree with you, but remember where the money to do all this comes from. We can't even fix our own country with its legal citizens.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

I was going to ask if you ever get tired of being dishonest but you've been posting here for almost twenty years and you still haven't changed.