In Game Ad Technology

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Even already released titles

I have extremely mixed feelings on this, especially if a title that was previously ad free and one that I had bought gets in game ads forced into it.

The article states that in game advertising is a 514m dollar a year business. I'm thinking that a program that blocks those ads could likely become very popular.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Damnit... dynamic advertising was my big idea. I guess I should just stop trying to be innovative and live with the fact that I'll be an unsuccessful average American idiot.

On blocking ads... I can see PunkBuster dropping you for modifying game content just for blocking ads.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Damnit... dynamic advertising was my big idea. I guess I should just stop trying to be innovative and live with the fact that I'll be an unsuccessful average American idiot.

On blocking ads... I can see PunkBuster dropping you for modifying game content just for blocking ads.

I also see me boycotting Punkbuster. :p

imported_Devine

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2006
I like it cause to me it makes it a little more realistic like in GTA where it's trying to simulate a real city. I only have a problem with it when the developer is still charging the same price but is making a couple extra million with the advertising. If your gonna do it, dont be a greedy bastard and help the gamer out by lower the price a little please :)

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Well, it's not really the developer getting that extra dough. It's the publishers or mega corps like EA who then take that extra revenue and funnel it into doomed pet projects or line CEO pockets. Hell, I'd be happy if the extra revenue went into the developer studios to ensure a healthy future for that particular franchise and reward the people who did the hard work in the project. But I doubt that's going to be the goal of the extra revenue from this...

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Devine
I like it cause to me it makes it a little more realistic like in GTA where it's trying to simulate a real city. I only have a problem with it when the developer is still charging the same price but is making a couple extra million with the advertising. If your gonna do it, dont be a greedy bastard and help the gamer out by lower the price a little please :)

Agreed... when you see billboards in games like battlefield 2142 it looks oddly out of place and way to obvious.