In Disney's shadow, homeless families struggle

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I wonder if a city has considered tying minimum wage to the median housing price for the city. As minimum wage skyrocketed, it might encourage citizens to support measures to keep affordable housing available.

I doubt it. Rather use state law to start prohibiting localities from implementing overly restrictive zoning and processes. CA has started doing this but needs more.

Dec 10, 2005
The simple solution is to move the tech industry elsewhere.
SF streets are a disaster, and a parking lot during rush 3 hours. I don't go there anymore because of traffic and over crowding. Add to that a huge homeless population and it becomes a little piece of hell.
It's a parking lot because we cater to the minority of drivers compared to the people who live in the city. Vast improvements to public transit, such as trading parking lanes for bus lanes, making people pay more for parking to discourage cars in the city in the first place, and other general improvements can easily improve the ability to transport large amounts of people through places currently jam-packed with cars.

Reactions: Mr.IncrediblyBored

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
What a thread. These are jobs for hs/college kids. If you can’t raise a family on it find another job or move, learn a marketable skill. Go to trade school. Get roommates. Whatever it takes. It’s not up to the employer or the government to manage your finances. That’s awesome Disney is raising the wages and more importantly paying for school, but in the end that’s just a good gesture by them not the standard that everyone should be held to. Them paying for school is them saying "this is not a career, don’t expect to raise a family on it".

Reactions: Thunder 57

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What a thread. These are jobs for hs/college kids. If you can’t raise a family on it find another job or move, learn a marketable skill. Go to trade school. Get roommates. Whatever it takes. It’s not up to the employer or the government to manage your finances. That’s awesome Disney is raising the wages and more importantly paying for school, but in the end that’s just a good gesture by them not the standard that everyone should be held to. Them paying for school is them saying "this is not a career, don’t expect to raise a family on it".

So, that's the kinder gentler version of FYGM, right?

Dec 10, 2005
Color me shocked, another post where you just don't get it.

Reactions: BUTCH1

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
What am I not getting? That’s the reality. Don’t raise a family in a job for kids. If you can’t afford to live in that area move. If you need roommates to split the rent, do it. If you and your kids need to split a studio, do it.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

I will remember to tell that to my Hospital who pays for all of our RN's to go to CRNA school if they want and is paying for me to become a Perfusionist...

Reactions: ch33zw1z
Dec 10, 2005
What am I not getting? That’s the reality. Don’t raise a family in a job for kids. If you can’t afford to live in that area move. If you need roommates to split the rent, do it. If you and your kids need to split a studio, do it.
Have you looked at what it can take to move? Coming up with a security deposit, first/last month rent, finding a place, loss of your social circle/support network (e.g, family and friends). You also need to make sure you could get a job in that area.

Why are you so accepting of people making bank off of human misery? The Disney Corporation can surely pay its workers a livable wage and still make a hefty profit.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Ive moved when dirt poor, married, and kids. It sucks, but that’s what it takes. Work two jobs, save up enough. Cut Comcast, eat rice and beans, save up. Live in a studio or have roommates. Save up, move. They’re miserable because they had kids without having any skills. You can’t raise a family on a high schoolers job, sorry. It’s not employers responsibility to pay more just because.

Dec 10, 2005
Ive moved when dirt poor, married, and kids. It sucks, but that’s what it takes. Work two jobs, save up enough. Cut Comcast, eat rice and beans, save up. Live in a studio or have roommates. Save up, move. They’re miserable because they had kids without having any skills. You can’t raise a family on a high schoolers job, sorry. It’s not employers responsibility to pay more just because.
Got it, bootstraps.

Employers shouldn't be relying on their employees making ends meet by relying on social safety nets. It's time to stop subsidizing these employers: they make millions or billions while the public picks up the cost because they aren't paying their employees enough.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Yep, bootstraps. Disney is paying a wage for hs/college kids. The people on gov assistance need to move/go to school/find a different job. I put myself through college while waiting tables with kids. I had food stamps which helped tremendously but that was my way to support myself until I graduated and got a decent job. It was tough, being poor is tough. I don’t blame the restaurants I worked at for it, nor did I expect anything more from them.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yep, bootstraps. Disney is paying a wage for hs/college kids. The people on gov assistance need to move/go to school/find a different job. I put myself through college while waiting tables with kids. I had food stamps which helped tremendously but that was my way to support myself until I graduated and got a decent job. It was tough, being poor is tough. I don’t blame the restaurants I worked at for it, nor did I expect anything more from them.
But clearly these are not "summer jobs" at restaurants that have a busy few months, these are full time positions at a year-round busy attraction staffed by adults. All they want are wages to afford the basics, not live in any kind of opulence. Bottom line is most Co's will continue too ass-rape employees' as long as possible, yes, it's not impossible to go to school and come to the workforce with a marketable skill-set but that's not going to work for everyone.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
My restaurant job wasn’t a summer job. It’s a job I busted my arse at for years to get through college, all while raising a family. If these people aren’t learning some sort of trade I have zero sympathy for them. We afforded the basics. Didn’t have cable lived extremely frugally. Every single dollar counted. Drove a POS vehicle and bought cheap arse clothes. It can be done.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

The problem you have is you think upward mobility exists for everyone. As if your path is possible for all. It is not. The wealth and opportunity of the working class is shrinking every passing year.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Mobility does exist for everybody. We don’t have anyone standing guard when you leave town. Hop in the car and go.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Mobility does exist for everybody. We don’t have anyone standing guard when you leave town. Hop in the car and go.
LOL, yea, so you can't even afford rent, but somehow these people should come up with enough cash to "hop in the car and go". So what do you expect them to find at another city?, fair wages and affordable housing?. Most of the people are driving a 2002 Neon, 1998 Saturn, ect, not exactly the type of transportation you'd want to take a 1,000 mile trip in even if you had the $$.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Yep. Work two jobs and save up. Drive to some other place, apply, then search for a place to live. Move your stuff and tada. I’ve done it. Millions have done it. Mobility is key to our economy. No one is stopping them but themselves.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yep. Work two jobs and save up. Drive to some other place, apply, then search for a place to live. Move your stuff and tada. I’ve done it. Millions have done it. Mobility is key to our economy. No one is stopping them but themselves.
Again, you probably didn't have to worry about children, I know, I know, low income people should be outlawed from having kids, right?. Oh, and when they get somewhere else they will still be faced with the same challenges of 1st, last, security deposit to rent an apartment, that's IF they sound suitable employment. Here's an idea, how about the greedy fucking Co's actually share a tiny bit of their profit to actually help those who are running their business on a day to day basis.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I had two children at the time good try

Edit: that sounds like I don’t now. Had two children then, still do :D

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The problem you have is you think upward mobility exists for everyone. As if your path is possible for all. It is not. The wealth and opportunity of the working class is shrinking every passing year.

It's the usual conservative routine about how anybody can do it means it will work for everybody at the same time. He thinks that having more educated people means the job creators will automagically create higher paying jobs for them to fill.

He completely ignores the enormous shift of national income share to the tippy top that has occurred since 1980.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Having more skilled people and the jobs create themselves. Learn to be a plumber or electrician, you’ll do very well. Rely on entry level high school/college jobs, you won’t do so well. It’s hard frickin work getting to that point, nobody said it’s easy. That’s life though.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Again, you probably didn't have to worry about children, I know, I know, low income people should be outlawed from having kids, right?. Oh, and when they get somewhere else they will still be faced with the same challenges of 1st, last, security deposit to rent an apartment, that's IF they sound suitable employment. Here's an idea, how about the greedy fucking Co's actually share a tiny bit of their profit to actually help those who are running their business on a day to day basis.

Hopefully it makes you feel better to know companies are hard at work to automate away jobs like that. Then they can fire them all so they don’t have to deal with the low rates of pay that “won’t support a family.”

Reactions: UglyCasanova

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The simple solution is to move the tech industry elsewhere.
SF streets are a disaster, and a parking lot during rush 3 hours. I don't go there anymore because of traffic and over crowding. Add to that a huge homeless population and it becomes a little piece of hell.

Thats dumb. The issue is not that there is lots of demand for jobs. The issue is that the city and its leaders are keeping down supply to keep an image of the city they want which ends up ruining it for everyone. What a stupid idea.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't get it. The article says employees of Walt Disney World in the state of Florida are being given a raise to $15/hr. Why are you discussing the cost of living in California?

Because someone brought up that in some places in CA $50/hr is not enough. You can thank Greenman for that shift.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Have you looked at what it can take to move? Coming up with a security deposit, first/last month rent, finding a place, loss of your social circle/support network (e.g, family and friends). You also need to make sure you could get a job in that area.

Why are you so accepting of people making bank off of human misery? The Disney Corporation can surely pay its workers a livable wage and still make a hefty profit.

People aren't trees, they can leave.

Why stay and kill yourself for a company making profits bigger than most nations?

It's interesting that people come to this country with nothing and do what it takes to support their family. Sometimes they do rather well for themselves.

Sure Disney shouldn't be slave employers, but the bigger enslaver is Uncle Sam. Imagine how much better people would be off if 30% of their pay didn't evaporate before they received it.

Then there's probably a nightmare of regulations Disney has to pay insurance companies to cover that they have to pass on to someone.