In all of my previous and current jobs, my co-workers, fellow co-ops or executives all said WORK > SCHOOL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
The educational experience at college is crap. Their whole method of teaching sucks. The basic problem is that profs really don't gives a rat's ass about teaching. They only care about their own research. Also, many profs are just naturally horrible teachers and can barely speak english (and then there are the foreign profs). What's more, the rare prof that is actually an effective teacher gets slapped down by their department because they are teaching the kids too well! There's a quota for failing that has to be met by the profs!

No, the biggest problem with college is that it is so systematic now. You study, memorize, but you do not learn. There are plenty of people who can go to college and memorize equations, but there are only a few who actually can derive them. It's not teh students fault (well it can be at a times), but it is the schools fault for putting more emphasis on the grade rather than teh material.

i agree 100%

man what i wouldnt do to go back to being a freshman in highschool hehe i had so much fun in highschool.

CollectiveUnconscious

Jan 27, 2006
School is work and work is school. I find researching and teaching new material every semester to be more fun than I could ever imagine in the private sector. Sure, it's stressful to write up grant proposals, and to manage new graduate students who have little to no idea what you are doing, but it just feels so good when everything comes together. I'm never going to be anywhere else than school.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I hate the college lifestyle, but it was a lot more interesting than work. Work can often be boring and repetative.

It's much better if you work with attractive women though. :thumbsup:

Qianglong

Jan 29, 2006
Originally posted by: CollectiveUnconscious
School is work and work is school. I find researching and teaching new material every semester to be more fun than I could ever imagine in the private sector. Sure, it's stressful to write up grant proposals, and to manage new graduate students who have little to no idea what you are doing, but it just feels so good when everything comes together. I'm never going to be anywhere else than school.

Do you like screwing students?

CollectiveUnconscious

Jan 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Qianglong

Only when the wife is out of town.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
Not having homework/not having to study is the best part. I like being able to leave work and forget about it until the next day. If only I was paid consistently, it'd be all good.

Qianglong

Jan 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Qianglong

Only when the wife is out of town.

are you a prof? if so, what discipline and school?

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
I think that white piece of paper with your name on it means a lot. Granted, it doesn't mean you know more than someone who has 5 years of true working experience. But the white piece of paper is more about getting your foot in the door rather than getting you the necessary experience. I know working in the technical industry that having my background i'm confident with my ability in the same field. However, i'm at a road block because any positions higher than the one I currently have requires a degree.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
Originally posted by: ChaoZ
Middle/High school > work > college

Agreed.

No. Not at all...what the hell did you people do in college to make it so miserable? I had a blast in HS and an even better time in College. I even have a job I enjoy for the most part and I still say college > all

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
The classes you take to get a job are going to suck because you aren't going to enjoy them as much. You are worried too much about your grade and competing with the other students so you can get a good job. The professors all feed into this by using arbitrary criteria to separate the students into categories, like A,B,C or best, second tier, needs works, etc..

The classes you take just because you want to learn are completely different. I have taken several classes where I didn't care about my grade or status, and I had more fun and actually learned more. I asked more questions, and typically the professors responded positively because they could sense I was enjoying the material. So in part, it's the students clamoring for position that makes work classes unenjoyable.

Work is more enjoyable because you work in teams, are encouraged to ask questions, and success generally benefits everyone in the company. School is the opposite. Groups generally suck, and the grades are weighed heavily on individual performance. That is not the real world and is really poor preparation for life.

I enjoyed college more because I was there to learn and when I stopped worrying about grades, it was a great experience. Work is ok but you have the politics, and generally have a very narrow focus everyday which is boring.

Qianglong

Jan 29, 2006
Originally posted by: wyvrn
The classes you take to get a job are going to suck because you aren't going to enjoy them as much. You are worried too much about your grade and competing with the other students so you can get a good job. The professors all feed into this by using arbitrary criteria to separate the students into categories, like A,B,C or best, second tier, needs works, etc..

The classes you take just because you want to learn are completely different. I have taken several classes where I didn't care about my grade or status, and I had more fun and actually learned more. I asked more questions, and typically the professors responded positively because they could sense I was enjoying the material. So in part, it's the students clamoring for position that makes work classes unenjoyable.

Work is more enjoyable because you work in teams, are encouraged to ask questions, and success generally benefits everyone in the company. School is the opposite. Groups generally suck, and the grades are weighed heavily on individual performance. That is not the real world and is really poor preparation for life.

I enjoyed college more because I was there to learn and when I stopped worrying about grades, it was a great experience. Work is ok but you have the politics, and generally have a very narrow focus everyday which is boring.

QFT! Free riders in college...DIAF!!!

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Theres positives and negatives to both.

Whats mildly humorous to me is the comparison that at school they are out to screw you.
Think that doesnt happen at work?

Work is very similiar to school in many respects. You are graded on the work you do. In school they reward you with an A if you perform well, they give you and F if you suck. In work, they give you a promotion or pay raise if you do well and they fire you if you suck.

To think politics and favortism isnt as much a part of work as it is school is a bit short sighted.

Personally, I dont like either. I half assed my way through college (Study? HAHA! My finals week was spent jet skiing at the lake) and got half ass grades. I work like a dog at work though because your work is a direct correlation to your standard of living. College is just a number or grade.

Given the choice, I'd take early retirement FTW.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Let me think....

School: Pay a ton of money to do work. I literally worked all day every day (including weekends and holidays) nonstop on homework except for sleep. I had at most 3-4 hours of freetime a week, usually less.

Work: Get payed a ton of money to do the same kind of work. I come home after working my 8 hours and I have so much freetime I don't know what to do.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
In terms of the qualifications on a resume, work experience is valued much more highly than the level of education (unless lack of education inhibits your ability to communicate). This holds true for my field at least.

Izzo

May 30, 2003
Fantasy college life without homework and studying > Work > Actual College life with homework and studying.