In 3 sentences or less, your argument on religion...

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I was talking to a hardcore christian today, having a peaceful discussion about both of our views. I want to keep this thread peaceful also. Not looking for discussion per se, but your arguments on why you believe or don't believe in a god, and fairly brief, just a few sentences. I'd like to hear what people think is most important in their beliefs. I know P&N has not the greatest reputation and I don't venture here often so I don't know what to expect. Some respect would be nice. If you think its a stupid thread, feel free to move on and not waste your time on it

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
Reality is awesome. Stay away from fantasy and superstition. It acts like tooth decay on the brain.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
If you're gonna' make-believe, keep it to yourself. Don't expect other people to want to hear about it.

Last edited:

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
I have no use for organized religion. Hard to get over the fairy tales.

Last edited:

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
I could do it in 5:

Faith is faith. Stupid people are stupid. Sociopaths are sociopaths. Assholes are assholes. Haters gonna hate.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
You don't get extra points for doing it in 5. It means you FAIL.

haters-gonna-hate-eagle.jpg

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
The world would be a better, less violent place without religion.
Religion is a communicable disease of the mind.
Though I don't believe in the God Theory anymore (was raised JW) I do feel people should still have some of the morals that religion teaches (you shouldn't act certain ways just because some ghost says he will torture you otherwise).

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Though I don't believe in the God Theory anymore (was raised JW) I do feel people should still have some of the morals that religion teaches (you shouldn't act certain ways just because some ghost says he will torture you otherwise).

This is false. See my argument. "Sociopaths are sociopaths" covers it. Plenty of deaths not related to religion in human history. And many of the supposed deaths blamed on religion, are not actually due to religion at all.

dammitgibs

Jan 31, 2009
Everyone of us has a religion and a god. Some just feel the need to push their religion on others to validate it. This includes atheists.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
How about four sentences in three quotes from two "other guys" as to why my belief remains open to the one?

Get it? 4,3,2,1, lift off!
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
-- Albert Einstein
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
-- William Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act 1 Scene IV
I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.
-- Albert Einstein

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
My view on the matter is that God's existence, nature, and expectations of humans, or lack thereof are not knowable, and therefore not actionable. However if believing in God makes your life easier or more difficult, that is actionable. So decide for yourself what you want to do, and let others do the same.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
First,

Do you believe in me competly?

Without reservation?

-John

Well, let's see, hmmmm. I have seen you turn all sorts of things into whine.

And I did spend a night with your mom Mary in Tijuana and she did claim she was a virgin.

Still, I dunno. Get up on that cross and bleed a little, maybe then we'll talk, k? :rolleyes:

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

You were brought up in a cult that gives out little magazines of course you think it is wacked.

But religion gets in the way of loving Jesus. Jesus=Cool. Religion in many forms has ruined the message for many.

Like peeing into the wind = Discussing religion on AT it always has been. Always brings out the worst trolls. Then they point back at you like a kindergardener. Think about though peeps that have been here 5-10 years the biggest douches were the anti religion pricks. i.e. Eledan. They just could not get over it. Religion was their kryptonite.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
And also,

newbies will tell you, there is no God.

The only God is you, yourself, and I.

(You)

Others will tell you, that you can't be a God, because theb you would want to kill.

-John