Impact on Jupiter - again ...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
That was cool...

What about the link on the Suns solar storms? The last report I read still said the sun was experiencing low levels of sun spots and could be effecting the recent drop in global temperatures. The full effects of that may not have been felt yet because it takes years for the oceans to bleed off the ambient temp they gained over the previous uptick cycle of sunspots ("solar activity")

The solar eruptions like the one shown reminds me of the movie "Knowing" with Nic Cage. If you saw that movie that didn't end well....Uptick could coincide with 2012!!! WOOOOOOH The theories!!!

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I will find the link and send it to you....

I dont think you can deny that the northern hemisphere in just this may is recording one of the coldst mays on record....

Actually even the scandal ridden climategate the scientist admitted in their emails that couldn't account for the drop in temps or no increase in temps to further their push of global warming....This should be no surprise....

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
http://www.tgdaily.com/general-scie...sunspot-activity-correlates-to-global-climate

I believe this is one of the guys, but I htought there was one from the univ of illinois as well....

others:may be blogs but look at the data and the links to the data

http://capnbob.us/blog/2006/08/26/correlating-sunspots-to-global-climate/

This one goes into cooling.
http://climate-change.suite101.com/article.cfm/sunspots_and_climate_change

<Four agencies that track earth's temperature-the Hadley Climate Research Unit in Britain, the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York, the Christy group at the University of Alabama, and Remote Sensing Systems Inc in California-report that the planet cooled by about 0.7 degree C in 2007. This is the fastest temperature change (drop) since science began instrumental record keeping and seems to sets global temperatures back to where they were in 1930.

There is also plenty of anecdotal evidence that 2007 was exceptionally cold, most notably that it snowed in Baghdad for the first time in centuries, the winter in China was bitter and the extent of Antarctic sea ice in the austral winter was the greatest on record since James Cook discovered the place in 1770.

The trend continued in 2008. The National Weather Service reports that the summer of 2008 was Alaska&#8217;s third coolest on record, while the National Snow and Ice Data Center found that Arctic sea ice expanded 13.2 percent in 2008, or a Texas-sized 270,000 square miles.

In September, 2008 snow graced the southern provinces of Brazil for the first time during an especially cold month and in December, 2008 a ferocious ice storm hammered New Englanders while up to eight inches of snow struck New Orleans and southern Louisiana. In the same month, Southern California had half an inch of snow in the Malibu hills while six inches was enough to maroon commuters in desert towns east of Los Angeles.>

Read more at Suite101: Sunspots and Climate Change: Is There a Connection Between Sunspot Activity and Global Cooling? http://climate-change.suite101.com/article.cfm/sunspots_and_climate_change#ixzz0q6Vm4Gez

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2406928/posts
w/ NASA INFO

Last edited:

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
I would like to see a paper for this. What about confounders, regression to the mean, or just coincidence?

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I would like to see a paper for this. What about confounders, regression to the mean, or just coincidence?

Two edged sword, works both ways.

Back to the OP - yes very cool to have caught the impact. Just as there are now a lot more people around with cameras and video cameras there are also a lot more of us who have the ability to connect digital photography up to a telescope, hopefully this trend will continue and we will get to see a lot more of what's going on around us "out there".

:)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I certainly wish I had a powerful enough telescope ... the weather here is clear enough, the light contamination not too bad ...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Exactly. People like to see patterns, even when they don't exist. How much of this is real and how much is imagined?

I dont know...Why dont you go get a doctorate in astro-physics and do your own research...

Instead you would believe the UN's IC Panel basing all of their data on a research facility caught red handed trying to keep evidence of cooling or no temp increases during this last decade bacause it wouldn't fit with their theories and model?

How about the fact the same group when asked to provide their formulas on how they were comparing temperature data for areas (basically they were coming up with a formula to take into account some of the weather observations back in the past that were done in rural areas but are now heavily urbanized...do we need to refresh on urban heat islands?) and they would not...when asked repeatedly I think they did but then came the announcement they had actually lost or thrown away past data (and there are no backups!!!).

Dont be analytical and look for patterns (like intelligent people would), but listen like sheep to people caught red handed skewing data with a trillion dollar carbon credit industry looming in the background with many of the leading global warming theoriest (that man is the main culprit) are positioned in companies to take advanatge of said alarmism.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I certainly wish I had a powerful enough telescope ... the weather here is clear enough, the light contamination not too bad ...

What size diameter refractor telescope do you think it would take for those type of images? Supposedly my 3-1/2" refractor with likely my best lense can see the rings on saturn...I haven't yet.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
I dont know...Why dont you go get a doctorate in astro-physics and do your own research...

Instead you would believe the UN's IC Panel basing all of their data on a research facility caught red handed trying to keep evidence of cooling or no temp increases during this last decade bacause it wouldn't fit with their theories and model?

How about the fact the same group when asked to provide their formulas on how they were comparing temperature data for areas (basically they were coming up with a formula to take into account some of the weather observations back in the past that were done in rural areas but are now heavily urbanized...do we need to refresh on urban heat islands?) and they would not...when asked repeatedly I think they did but then came the announcement they had actually lost or thrown away past data (and there are no backups!!!).

Dont be analytical and look for patterns (like intelligent people would), but listen like sheep to people caught red handed skewing data with a trillion dollar carbon credit industry looming in the background with many of the leading global warming theoriest (that man is the main culprit) are positioned in companies to take advanatge of said alarmism.
Another case of "I have no idea what the other guy is talking about, so I'll try distract him with an elaborately constructed argument that has nothing to do with what he is talking about", I see.

Did I say anything about global climate change? Did I say anything about Climategate? Did I say anything about any of that research that was done? No, I did not. I was instead asking for more information on an almost unrelated topic, because I was interested in seeing the actual data and scientific methods that people would have used to come up with conclusions like the one you posted and linked to. And you come back and attack me for being a sheep because I want to be as thorough and as analytical as possible? I don't like baseless attacks on my personality. You are very close to joining my ignore list.

And for your information, in science a doctorate means little in the grand scheme of things. Individuals can fake degrees, forge credentials, invent Letters. What matters is the consensus of hundreds or thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) of people who all have full access to the data available and who are all capable of coming to their own conclusion from the data given. In science, just saying "my research says..." is useless. No matter who you are.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Another case of "I have no idea what the other guy is talking about, so I'll try distract him with an elaborately constructed argument that has nothing to do with what he is talking about", I see.

Did I say anything about global climate change? Did I say anything about Climategate? Did I say anything about any of that research that was done? No, I did not. I was instead asking for more information on an almost unrelated topic, because I was interested in seeing the actual data and scientific methods that people would have used to come up with conclusions like the one you posted and linked to. And you come back and attack me for being a sheep because I want to be as thorough and as analytical as possible? I don't like baseless attacks on my personality. You are very close to joining my ignore list.

And for your information, in science a doctorate means little in the grand scheme of things. Individuals can fake degrees, forge credentials, invent Letters. What matters is the consensus of hundreds or thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) of people who all have full access to the data available and who are all capable of coming to their own conclusion from the data given. In science, just saying "my research says..." is useless. No matter who you are.

You are right!! Like Al Gore...who received an oscar and a nobel prize for a movie full of scientific mistakes (as ruled on by a court in England). NOt to mention he was recently talking about geothermal as the way to go and he stated the earths core is millions of degree!!! What a moron...that is only much greater then the sun.

Well you are the one that was so quick to ignore another point of view....so I figured you must have already made up your mind and the other side only has been following that data and the agnecies I have listed...

You can ignore me....

I am done talking about it anyways....Stay close minded though...A brain is a terrible thing...

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
You are right!! Like Al Gore...who received an oscar and a nobel prize for a movie full of scientific mistakes (as ruled on by a court in England). NOt to mention he was recently talking about geothermal as the way to go and he stated the earths core is millions of degree!!! What a moron...that is only much greater then the sun.

Well you are the one that was so quick to ignore another point of view....so I figured you must have already made up your mind and the other side only has been following that data and the agnecies I have listed...

You can ignore me....

I am done talking about it anyways....Stay close minded though...A brain is a terrible thing...

I see.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
OOOPs, I think this thread has been threadnapped.
I do not like this. D:

This thread has one single purpose: to alert those interested in space observations to some interesting new pics.

Any discussion - especially an unfriendly one - which does not relate with the purpose of this thread is off-topic. Therefore:
Please stop the global warming discussion in this thread and move it somewhere else!
I also dislike personal attacs in this thread and in any other thread too. Please stop. I do not want this thread locked.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
So anyway, back on topic...

I have an 8 inch Meade reflector (bought it cheap on Ebay) and there are some things to think about when using a telescope. I have had telescopes since I was about 8 years old. That was many (or several) decades ago. A couple being two, a few being 3, so more than that... ;)

More than size, quality matters.
When you are trying to see a small spot on an object where the minimum distance from the earth is about 390 million miles any small impurities on or in your optics can greatly affect viewing.

Size also matters, but you can see more fine details with smaller yet superior optics than you can with larger and inferior optics.

I'd love to own a 12 - 16 inch scope like this one:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/meade-16-lx200gps-telescopes.html

But that costs as much as the new roof on my house!

So I make due with what I've got. I was able to show my daughter some nebulae when she was studying them in college and I made a solar filter and have taken a few sunspot pics. I've cleaned the mirror recently and haven't quite gotten it back into alignment. I think that when I do get it aligned it's going to be a lot nicer. The mirror was very dirty.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Yeah, but very nice ...
I agree on the size vs quality of optics-discussion. I am a amateur photographer since the age of 15 ...
I still wish I could afford a 10 inch Meade w ACF ...

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Some kind of cosmic body has impacted on Jupiter creating some interesting images and videos. W"hern Jupiter was hit the previous time (in 1998 IIRC) the scientist said it would be a very long time before that happens again --- here we go!
Couldn't find it at 1st as it's moved off that front page, here's a direct link for those easily lost ;). http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=05&month=06&year=2010

Thanks Petrus, cool that an amatuer caught it :).

Last edited: