immigration question?

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
My father is a American citizen not through birth but naturalization about 10 years ago. My mom has a green card and never got around getting a citizenship.

Since my father is an American citizen now does that mean my mom qualifies as a American citizen? Can she get her citizenship without taking multitude of tests? We are trying to figure out if she needs to replace her green card or just go for citizenship.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Maybe call the immigration office? Check the website and see if you can find it there.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Citizenship is only inherited when a child is under 18 and the parent becomes naturalized.

A spouse can not inherit citizenship but must go through submission of the proper paperwork and interviews.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
yeah she can petition for citizenship after X amount of years (depends on the factors concerning her GC). She then as to pass interviews and a pretty challenging test. You can search for it online...our newspaper had it featured. It's about 100 questions and many citizens wouldn't know the answers (but they are important).

My wife has no intention of becoming a US citizen.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
yeah she can petition for citizenship after X amount of years (depends on the factors concerning her GC). She then as to pass interviews and a pretty challenging test. You can search for it online...our newspaper had it featured. It's about 100 questions and many citizens wouldn't know the answers (but they are important).

My wife has no intention of becoming a US citizen.

I've seen the samples of that test and while it may be hard for someone new to the US if a native born high school graduate finds it hard that is a sad commentary on the state of education in this country.