Imation RipGo! USB 1.1 portable mini CDR drive+mp3 player $19.99 AR+TAX @ compusa

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amploud

Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: sxr7171
Sold out. That thing would have been awesome though, it looks like it could also be used as a mini-cd burner so you could burn files and use it as an external data storage device apart from the obvious MP3 uses. I wish I found out in time.

Sold out online or B&M? I just ordered online and got an email confirmation. For $20 AR, it is worth a shot. Did anyone do a price search on this? I looked at a few places and found that outpost.com has it for $100, but the next cheapest place was $190!

jbserra

Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: TechDreamer
I just ordered 50 mini cd-r's from dartek.com for $14.95 shipped. $0.30 ea.

jbserra -

I looked all over dartek.com and no luck. Do you have any more info or a link?

I went through pricegrabber

Link

MEMOREX MINI CDR MEDIA 50PK SPINDLE 16X 185MB/21MIN
$14.95

They're only $18 I heard at CompUSA, or $25 for the 210MB ones. DISCLAIMER: I don't know if the 210MB CD-Rs will work.

asleep

Feb 12, 2001
Back in stock online. Just Ordered my second one (got one on black fri). Add $10 + - for tax and shipping. Still a great MP3 player for $30. I burn the mini CD-R's in my regular burner. Will play in most any CD drive, tray load that is.

Coraanu

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by: fr
According to a review at Tom's Hardware, the drive supports reading and writing of mini CD-RW discs. That is not true. The drive does neither. The reviewer also asks questions that are clearly answered in the user's guide. I wonder if the sh!thead even bothered to use the unit.

fr,

Just curious do you have a RipGO and have you tested mini CD-RW compatibility? Actually to anyone that has a RipGO, are you able to read from or write to a mini CD-RW? Thanks in advance.

Coraanu

jbwhite99

Sep 26, 2001
For those on the West Coast, Fry's always seems to have their 10-spindle packs for $2.90 - perhaps Outpost.com has them as well.

I think that they just came in - there are a whole bunch in Chandler, AZ (or were yesterday) - in the display case. I saw them on one of their big carts a couple of weeks ago.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Coraanu
According to a review at Tom's Hardware, the drive supports reading and writing of mini CD-RW discs. That is not true. The drive does neither. The reviewer also asks questions that are clearly answered in the user's guide. I wonder if the sh!thead even bothered to use the unit.

fr,

Just curious do you have a RipGO and have you tested mini CD-RW compatibility? Actually to anyone that has a RipGO, are you able to read from or write to a mini CD-RW? Thanks in advance.

Coraanu

I tried a CD-RW before anything else and it would say "No Disc." I tried it in CD-ROM mode connected to my PC and it still wouldn't read it. Later I discover it does not work with CD-RW.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Coraanu
Originally posted by: fr According to a review at Tom's Hardware, the drive supports reading and writing of mini CD-RW discs. That is not true. The drive does neither. The reviewer also asks questions that are clearly answered in the user's guide. I wonder if the sh!thead even bothered to use the unit.
fr, Just curious do you have a RipGO and have you tested mini CD-RW compatibility? Actually to anyone that has a RipGO, are you able to read from or write to a mini CD-RW? Thanks in advance. Coraanu
I tried a CD-RW before anything else and it would say "No Disc." I tried it in CD-ROM mode connected to my PC and it still wouldn't read it. Later I discover it does not work with CD-RW.

CD-RW compatibility would have made this thing almost perfect.

Amploud,

Thanks for mentioning that it is back in stock. When I looked yesterday it said out of stock and for some reason I didn't check the in-store inventory. Now it looks like it is in stock online and every single one of my local has it too. Looks like I will be getting one.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
Ok, so does this thing actually burn CD's or not? I'm confused

It burns regular CD-Rs but not CD-RW. Mini CD-Rs that is.

unclebud

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2000
just pointing out that homes says seamless link is based on just link rite chere...
no opinion really, just noticing
thanks for the deal!

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
compusa has BLACK mini CDRs and CDRWs. i have some that I use as bootdisks =P

Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
I think this might be the same (rebadged) as the Akira one Fry's sells. My friend has it, it's pretty decent, but she got it for 90 bucks or something. 20 (actually more like 20 after shipping and tax) is a great deal.

billtmore

Jun 20, 2001
I got it last night...just think TOY assuming the rebate comes!!!!!! If not then think expensive toy. it had a little trouble skipping to the next song for me, but maybe it is just me. not sure i would do it again even with the 58 dollar rebate! Just my 2cents!

Aug 7, 2002
Don't want to thread-crap, but every time I see 'rebate' and 'CompUSA' in the same post, shields go up. :D

One VERY important question.....is the rebate through CrapUUSR? Or is it a manufacturer's rebate? If it's CrapUSSR, then this is not a hot deal....I'm still waiting (like many others) for a $20 rebate (it's been a year).

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Sesopedalian
Uses Mini CD-R disks, not the CD-R disks you have now. This thing will go the way of the LS-120. You would think Imation would learn.

they are based out of North Dakota... what can you expect? ;):p

thanks for the awsome deal! :D

Tung

Platinum Member
Nov 7, 2000
I got two yesterday, and I'm already in love with them! I'll go pick up a few more later for friends and relatives!

RBC

Jul 27, 2001
I just got one too, really cool and burns fast. Alot faster than my Intel Mp3 with a MM card.

RBC

Jul 27, 2001
One question for anyone that's had time to play with it.. Is it better to use the Nero 5.5 that came with it or just use Windows Media Player (9.0)?

jbserra

Nov 11, 1999
If you want to use the RipGO itself, I think you NEED to use the NERO. I couldn't find the drive to record to when I used the program that came with my HP CDR, but I guess that doesn't mean media player wouldn't find it... Sorry, maybe that didn't help...

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
I'll be picking one of these up to try today. Never had a portable MP3 player, but this would be perfect while at work.