IMAP Email

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
How many locations are set up with that account? It has to delete the email from the host and wherever else it is being shown. Could be your provider. Could be your program. Could be the size of the message file.

As far as a comparison, when I delete a reply to thread email from Thunderbird using an IMAP connection to my Charter account, it takes less than a second to move to my Deleted folder for that account.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
How many locations are set up with that account? It has to delete the email from the host and wherever else it is being shown. Could be your provider. Could be your program. Could be the size of the message file.

As far as a comparison, when I delete a reply to thread email from Thunderbird using an IMAP connection to my Charter account, it takes less than a second to move to my Deleted folder for that account.

Only 2.

It takes about 1 second here most likely less but I see the message lag from going from inbox to deleted sense when I click on deleted folder it is not there yet until a second later.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is the server using Mbox or MailDir? I think MailDir is considered a little slower, because each email is an individual file. It has other advantages though so it's still recommended to use it.

I have an older server and it's setup as Mbox and it tends to be rather fast. I can delete 2000 emails in a couple seconds. Though MailDir should not be that much slower on a more modern machine. My new server uses MailDir, I just never got around to migrating everything off the old one.