Imagine if Trump runs again (2024) and wins, what do you think will happen?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I suspect it'd be a repeat of his first term, just with more petty vengeance. The issue wasn't so much policy, although Trump was incompetent there as well, so much as the institutional rot that he created and expanded upon — choosing figures for loyalty (but only one-way loyalty) instead of ability, repeatedly trying to break rules... and of course, fostering sedition.

I don't think Trump will win the 2024 election if he runs, though. There will always be the hardcore supporters, the Taj-alikes who would vote GOP no matter what and genuinely want a one-party dictatorship. But they're already in the minority, and they still won't be the decisive factor despite Republican vote-rigging efforts; it's the flip-floppers and undecided voters who make the difference. And Trump will have a very tough time when all the Dems need to do is show footage of January 6th to remind everyone that he's a traitor to his country.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Trump doesn't have to lift a finger to steal the next election. That is already happening, it's being done by local Republican governments in key states. Make it harder to vote, limit mail-in voting, install "checks" to ensure the votes are accurate (yeah, right). You don't need this across the country, just in a few areas.

Trump completely bungled the election in the sense that he should have easily won if he'd made concerned noises about covid (we'd all "come together" as happened for GWB after 9/11), touted the vaccines, and kept talking about the economy which on the surface was ok in 2020. All he had to do was not act like an asshole about covid, but he lacked the ability to do this. I think he's more of a favorite after Biden than in 2020. One thing to keep in mind though is that at his age people tend to go downhill pretty quickly. Republican voters love the macho bully persona and while Trump to me looks like a fat old toad and sounds like an incoherent idiot, he's still got energy and spite for days. Hell, apparently he got a good share of hispanic voters because he was more "macho" than Biden, imagine 1) thinking Trump is "macho" and 2) voting for someone who thinks you are sub-human. People are morons.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You take the comparison too literally my friend. I was talking basics. The divisions. The hate. There was no logical reason for Adolf Hitler to despise the Jews so, and no logical reason an entire political party would despise democrats so, including when one has been elected president. But they do. And as with Hitler and the Jews, Donald Trump and pretty much the entire republican party simply will not tolerate a democrat as president. Add into that a second term for Donald Trump come 2024 and I can already hear the train whistles as democrats are shipped off for "special treatment ".
Yeah, well, you better get your hearing tested and see a shrink.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
WTF is this bullshit thread?

Trump is still President, allowing Biden to play at being president in order to dig up dirt on the evil Dems. Any day now the secret court will issue the indictments and bring about the great round up of traitors who have sold our country out to the libs and CHINA!
So you're saying he can't run in 2024 since he would already have had his two terms. That's a relief.

Nov 29, 2006
You guys keep acting like the vote count even matters anymore. Biden could win by 11 billion votes and it wouldn't matter because they will just overturn it.

This is one thing ive pondered in the hypothetical. If that actually happened and we had an election and whatever Dem on the ticket won and Trump/GOP pulled these types of shenanigans. Would dems/liberals have the balls to stage a legit over throw of the government, or would they just whine about it on social media while they were still allowed to, before rounded up and disappeared.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I find the idea of a smart Trump imitator riding the next wave preposterous. The Republican Party is morally bankrupt. They have squandered what little soul they had. The only people they have left that I know about with any hint of integrity are Liz Cheney and... hey, what ever happened to The Lincoln Project? The rest of them are shady manipulators.

That may be so, but as long as they are also as inept and erratic as Trump, then they won't be capable of doing the groundwork necessary to successfully steal the next election. If you got someone with Trump's outlook but sufficient competence to take full advantage of the multiple weaknesses in the system that the last farrago revealed (which would require carefully preparing by getting the right people in place in state legislatures, certification boards, and courts) then things might get very nasty.

I don't think the danger is 2024 specifically, rather it's that unless things change, it's quite possible things will continue to get worse in future elections.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That may be so, but as long as they are also as inept and erratic as Trump, then they won't be capable of doing the groundwork necessary to successfully steal the next election. If you got someone with Trump's outlook but sufficient competence to take full advantage of the multiple weaknesses in the system that the last farrago revealed (which would require carefully preparing by getting the right people in place in state legislatures, certification boards, and courts) then things might get very nasty.
I don't think the danger is 2024 specifically, rather it's that unless things change, it's quite possible things will continue to get worse in future elections.
A bad lookout if true. We have much bigger challenges than ever before. The Civil War, the world wars were huge challenges, but the global warming crisis is another level of threat. Wars end. The CWC may simply spiral out of control into a dystopian future that turns into the Last Catastrophe for the human race, the one from which we never recover. Political dysfunctionalism is the last thing we need now, we better get over that fast! Maybe another crisis would be a good thing... if it shocks us into a state of unity (such as we briefly experienced in some degree after 9/11). We're going to need unity, but not the totalitarian kind.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I’m not so sure about all the stuff in your second paragraph but the first is certainly correct. As I think Grisham said he will go on a revenge tour the likes of which this country has never seen. His second term will focus almost exclusively on making those who made him feel so humiliated in 2020 pay.
Yes he will definitely go on his revenge tour. At that point I think the blue states have to think of seceding.

I think the Trump party will try to do a lot of the second paragraph. We've seen what they want to do with abortion, aka Texas. We've seen Republican States override the will of the people and not extend Medicaid even when they have the funds. We know there is a core Republican wing that wants to destroy Medicare and SS. We already saw them give the rich tax cuts under Trump, they'll do it again. We see Republicans attacking education as how elites are created via things like CRT, they will attack public education. These are all positions we know the GQP'ers have.

Keep in mind, if Trump gets in, they may not have to worry about elections going forward, so they don't have to worry about enacting unpopular things.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Bill Maher dark vision for 2024. Not looking good if his vision comes to pass.

I really think that take over-rates Trump's capabilities. I mean, clearly he's vaguely _trying_ something along those lines, but I don't think he has a fully-thought-out plan, it's more an instinctive, and chaotic, desire for vengeance against everyone who he thinks let him down last time. He's driven by petty-minded grievances and egotism, not long-term strategic planning.

I don't believe Trump is up to successfully pulling off such a 'steal', and, fortunately, so far I don't see that anyone competent and malevolent in the Republican Party is sufficiently committed to a second Trump Presidency to do it on his behalf. But in the much longer run, I could see something like that emerging in the Republican party, probably with another figurehead than Trump.

Reactions: Muse

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Trump won because people want a voice to represent them. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter. People want some sort of hope and Trump gave that hope to his followers. He is a con man and a deceiver but that doesn't change the fact that many people would rather vote for a clown like Trump than a regular politician.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I really think that take over-rates Trump's capabilities. I mean, clearly he's vaguely _trying_ something along those lines, but I don't think he has a fully-thought-out plan, it's more an instinctive, and chaotic, desire for vengeance against everyone who he thinks let him down last time. He's driven by petty-minded grievances and egotism, not long-term strategic planning.

I don't believe Trump is up to successfully pulling off such a 'steal', and, fortunately, so far I don't see that anyone competent and malevolent in the Republican Party is sufficiently committed to a second Trump Presidency to do it on his behalf.
LOL Bill Maher. The establishment's favorite talking head sell out. What a phony and a clueless douche.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal
Jul 9, 2009
I suspect it'd be a repeat of his first term, just with more petty vengeance. The issue wasn't so much policy, although Trump was incompetent there as well, so much as the institutional rot that he created and expanded upon — choosing figures for loyalty (but only one-way loyalty) instead of ability, repeatedly trying to break rules... and of course, fostering sedition.

I don't think Trump will win the 2024 election if he runs, though. There will always be the hardcore supporters, the Taj-alikes who would vote GOP no matter what and genuinely want a one-party dictatorship. But they're already in the minority, and they still won't be the decisive factor despite Republican vote-rigging efforts; it's the flip-floppers and undecided voters who make the difference. And Trump will have a very tough time when all the Dems need to do is show footage of January 6th to remind everyone that he's a traitor to his country.
I find it funny that since i'm a Republican and usually support Republicans (occasional Libertarians), that you think it's somehow different from you supporting Democrats. Independents are running from Biden as fast as their legs can carry them.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I find it funny that since i'm a Republican and usually support Republicans (occasional Libertarians), that you think it's somehow different from you supporting Democrats. Independents are running from Biden as fast as their legs can carry them.
It's a symptom of your illness that you think supporting Trump is just like supporting a regular politician.

Just another symptom of the nasty mental disorder that tens of millions of GQP'ERS have.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
I am never Trumper with that being said unless Trump finds himself in jail or in bad health, i can see him running and winning. Biden unfortunately is making the case on why Trump should be elected again.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
It's a symptom of your illness that you think supporting Trump is just like supporting a regular politician.

Just another symptom of the nasty mental disorder that tens of millions of GQP'ERS have.
The people are tired of the average Republican or Democrat since they are more similar than different. Trump appeared to be very different so he got the support. Trump was a Democrat and a big Hillary Clinton fan a few years ago. He has been a lifelong left winger.

The people want different people to represent them. They like when a leader talks in a natural way, even though he might be telling a total lie, like Trump was. That's why people like Kamala are not very popular, she doesn't sound real, even though she's not any worse than Trump. She cannot connect the same way Trump connects with his supporters.

Democrats and Republicans are basically 85% the same. Both are war hungry, both support the medical/military industry and both get billions from Wall Street/big corporate firms. And people are slowly finding this out so they are seeking out alternatives.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
LOL Bill Maher. The establishment's favorite talking head sell out. What a phony and a clueless douche.

Can't say I have any opinion either way about Bill Maher. Haven't seen much from him, and what little I have seen has been contradictory. He seems like the American version of Peirs Morgan - someone who attracts scorn from both left and right alike, and probably deserves all of it.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I am never Trumper with that being said unless Trump finds himself in jail or in bad health, i can see him running and winning. Biden unfortunately is making the case on why Trump should be elected again.
This is right, Biden has been terrible. Not surprising though, I think this is by design. They don't care if the country is weakened as long as the agenda is carried out.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The people are tired of the average Republican or Democrat since they are more similar than different. Trump appeared to be very different so he got the support. Trump was a Democrat and a big Hillary Clinton fan a few years ago. He has been a lifelong left winger.

The people want different people to represent them. They like when a leader talks in a natural way, even though he might be telling a total lie, like Trump was. That's why people like Kamala are not very popular, she doesn't sound real, even though she's not any worse than Trump. She cannot connect the same way Trump connects with his supporters.

Democrats and Republicans are basically 85% the same. Both are war hungry, both support the medical/military industry and both get billions from Wall Street/big corporate firms. And people are slowly finding this out so they are seeking out alternatives.

Never has your first statement been less true than now and in the last 4 years.

The second bolded statement, also never been less true.

I don't think you function within the realm of reality.

Reactions: Muse

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Never has your first statement been less true than now and in the last 4 years.

The second bolded statement, also never been less true.

I don't think you function within the realm of reality.
Both parties are basically the same when it comes to killing millions of people abroad. They both support arming America to the maximum at the expense of everything else. They support bombing helpless countries for no apparent reason. At least you can agree there?

Jul 9, 2009

Are you stating that Trump is running in 2024? Maybe i'll be voting for DeSantis, or Abbott. You don't know, do you?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Both parties are basically the same when it comes to killing millions of people abroad. They both support arming America to the maximum at the expense of everything else. They support bombing helpless countries for no apparent reason. At least you can agree there?

The only party that voiced opposition to the Iraq war were the Dems. More Dems in the House voted No than Yes. In the Senate a few more Dem senators voted yes than no. I went to numerous huge anti-war protests, I met a couple Republicans, and 99.9% of people there were Democrats and Progressives.

Some of the yays were purely due to politics, it was easy to be labeled as unpatriotic by the war hungry propaganda machine of the right.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Are you stating that Trump is running in 2024? Maybe i'll be voting for DeSantis, or Abbott. You don't know, do you?

Trump was in two recent elections also, or did you forget about that?

Also Trump will run in 2024 unless he gets really sick. And you will vote for him we all know this.

Jul 9, 2009
Trump was in two recent elections also, or did you forget about that?

Also Trump will run in 2024 unless he gets really sick. And you will vote for him we all know this.
What 2 recent elections was President Trump in ? Was he running for a House seat ?