Imagine if Trump runs again (2024) and wins, what do you think will happen?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Jon Stewart is not a doomsayer, and he knows the Trump party is trying to overthrow democracy https://www.rawstory.com/jon-stewart-2655281027/

Tom Nichols is a former Republican academic, he is also quite sure they are trying to overthrow democracy https://www.rawstory.com/donald-trump-coup-2655279207/

These are not fringe radicals saying this. Anyone that's honest and observant of the current political landscape can see, the Trump party will do away with democracy the first chance they get, and that's in 2024.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You guys keep acting like the vote count even matters anymore. Biden could win by 11 billion votes and it wouldn't matter because they will just overturn it.

Which didn't happen. Your constant negativity is a real drag.

Reactions: esquared

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

It didn't happen, because they didn't do it right, but it was a learning experience for the fascist Trump party. I'm not saying it will happen in 2024 but they are certainly going to try and they will have a much higher chance to do it. Do you think Jon Stewart is a doomsayer? Well I don't, and he spells it out here https://www.rawstory.com/jon-stewart-2655281027/

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I will be honest. Just a repeat of his 1st term. The good news is, it will not be as devastating as what your profile pic shows.

Trump was one of those presidents, up until the pandemic, that really was just .... nothing specially great. He touted energy independence. Who cares about a new oil pipeline, it would have been a different story if it was a water pipeline. It was obvious to Trump from some point early on in his presidency that not many countries wanted oil from the US, when other rather cheaper alternative sources of oil for those countries were being built. Trump only stopped the Russian oil pipeline to force the countries that would have received service from it, to buy American oil instead. Trump basically knew the oil industry was dieing, but still continued to promote and support it politically.

Eh you are totally looking at stuff with rose eyed glasses.

Did you forget Tariff Man? Everything is more expensive now and getting even more expensive after COVID supply shortage.

Put in more tariffs and you're paying more but what do I know.. you might actually be a millionaire and not mind a bit more for Trump.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Just because it didn't happen the last time, what makes you sure about the next time?

The first time Al Quaida tried to destroy the World Trade Center they failed and it looked like a joke. The next time it was no joke and we are living in the world 9/11 created.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Trump won’t run unless he’s got an inside track to some real shady shit. Republicans are doing all they can to put people in the right places to make that happen.

The only positive thing to think about is that trump, republicans, and the people who would be willing to do shady things are really, really stupid and their incompetence would probably save us.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Trump won’t run unless he’s got an inside track to some real shady shit. Republicans are doing all they can to put people in the right places to make that happen.

The only positive thing to think about is that trump, republicans, and the people who would be willing to do shady things are really, really stupid and their incompetence would probably save us.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day and Trump could easily get it right the second time.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The more time goes past without any sign of a smarter, more competent Trump-figure appearing among the Republicans, the safer things feel. I don't think Trump is smart or competent enough to successfully steal the next election (though the last one certainly was a great learning experience for anyone who really wanted to attempt it), and his electoral support can only go down from here on - at the very least because his supporters are going to die off from old age and COVID, plus he now just looks like a "loser".

The danger is that history seems to demonstrate that the Republicans can always manage to find someone even worse than the last one. And if they find someone who's also smarter, then electoral support might not matter. Fortunate that there doesn't, so far, seem to be any such candidate on the horizon.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The more time goes past without any sign of a smarter, more competent Trump-figure appearing among the Republicans, the safer things feel. I don't think Trump is smart or competent enough to successfully steal the next election (though the last one certainly was a great learning experience for anyone who really wanted to attempt it), and his electoral support can only go down from here on - at the very least because his supporters are going to die off from old age and COVID, plus he now just looks like a "loser".

The danger is that history seems to demonstrate that the Republicans can always manage to find someone even worse than the last one. And if they find someone who's also smarter, then electoral support might not matter. Fortunate that there doesn't, so far, seem to be any such candidate on the horizon.
Trump doesn't have to be smart. He's already sowed enough doubt among his fascist shitty filth base and the trumper politicians have learned all they have to do is be as disgusting as Trump and they can pull it off. They don't exist in reality. They are all mini Goebbels, keeping the propaganda alive.

Reactions: Lezunto

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I find the idea of a smart Trump imitator riding the next wave preposterous. The Republican Party is morally bankrupt. They have squandered what little soul they had. The only people they have left that I know about with any hint of integrity are Liz Cheney and... hey, what ever happened to The Lincoln Project? The rest of them are shady manipulators.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I find the idea of a smart Trump imitator riding the next wave preposterous. The Republican Party is morally bankrupt. They have squandered what little soul they had. The only people they have left that I know about with any hint of integrity are Liz Cheney and... hey, what ever happened to The Lincoln Project?
Last I read last week was the Lincoln project got recon that the Dems were not going to hold people in contempt if they ignored subpoenas from the 1/6, commission and they were pissed that they weren't going to hold the traitors accountable

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Last I read last week was the Lincoln project got recon that the Dems were not going to hold people in contempt if they ignored subpoenas from the 1/6, commission and they were pissed that they weren't going to hold the traitors accountable
Yeah, they don't seem to be Republicans at all. I really don't know what they're about. Anomalous.

The Lincoln Project is an American political action committee formed in late 2019 by former and present Republicans. During the 2020 presidential election, it aimed to prevent the re-election of Donald Trump and defeat all Republicans in close races running for re-election in the United States Senate. Wikipedia

That wouldn't make them Republicans at all, in particular the part about them working to defeat all Republican candidates in close Senate races. That would make them anti-Republicans! I very much regard myself as an anti-Republican.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, they don't seem to be Republicans at all. I really don't know what they're about. Anomalous.

The Lincoln Project is an American political action committee formed in late 2019 by former and present Republicans. During the 2020 presidential election, it aimed to prevent the re-election of Donald Trump and defeat all Republicans in close races running for re-election in the United States Senate. Wikipedia

That wouldn't make them Republicans at all, in particular the part about them working to defeat all Republican candidates in close Senate races. That would make them anti-Republicans! I very much regard myself as an anti-Republican.

While some of the Lincoln Project may be a bit starry eyed by the money, the majority of them seem to not give a shit about supporting Dems because they see that the Trump party is so so corrupt and will just destroy Democracy, and the Dems are the only hope. They'll put aside policy differences in the name of saving democracy. They truly see the filth the GQP has become. That pretty much sums it up.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Funny this thread came up because I was just watching on TV "apocalypse: Hitler". Why is it that everytime I watch Hitler I'm reminded of Donald Trump? Hmmmm, why is that I wonder?

So I was thinking. Trump is Hitler, the republican party are the nazi party, and for republicans the democrats are the Jews. And that about sums it up.

The nazis were aggressive in reforming government to their advantage, exactly as Republicans are now doing with reforming election boards to guarantee their success. Republicans refuse to accept Joe Biden as the president, just as nazis refused to accept the Jews. Hitler had the Reichstag fire, Donald Trump had the January 6th insurrection. The German people fell in line with Hitler and the nazis, American Republicans fall in line with Donald Trump. Adolf Hitler was a dictator, Donald Trump has pretty much the same idea.

And so, as to the ops question in this thread, just ask yourself what did Adolf Hitler do once he was in power?
Or for donald Trump.... back in power?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Funny this thread came up because I was just watching on TV "apocalypse: Hitler". Why is it that everytime I watch Hitler I'm reminded of Donald Trump? Hmmmm, why is that I wonder?

So I was thinking. Trump is Hitler, the republican party are the nazi party, and for republicans the democrats are the Jews. And that about sums it up.

The nazis were aggressive in reforming government to their advantage, exactly as Republicans are now doing with reforming election boards to guarantee their success. Republicans refuse to accept Joe Biden as the president, just as nazis refused to accept the Jews. Hitler had the Reichstag fire, Donald Trump had the January 6th insurrection. The German people fell in line with Hitler and the nazis, American Republicans fall in line with Donald Trump. Adolf Hitler was a dictator, Donald Trump has pretty much the same idea.

And so, as to the ops question in this thread, just ask yourself what did Adolf Hitler do once he was in power?
Or for donald Trump.... back in power?
You're have gotten delusional again. Jews were a very small minority compared to the German people as a whole. Marginalizing them, vilifying them and ultimately exterminating as many of them as possible didn't particularly disrupt the German industrial complex, which the Nazis corralled to build their war machine. Comparing the Jews to America's Democrats is completely ridiculous.

Hitler wrote Mein Kampf. Donald Trump paid a man good bucks to portray him a winner when he was really just a faithless liar in The Art of the Deal. At the time, he had no political ambitions. The only thing that saved him from his bankruptcies was his reality TV show. He heard people ask him if he had an idea to run for president (he didn't) and after a while it rubbed off on him. He didn't think he could do it but he was swept up in the circumstances, eventually becoming a megalomaniac when he found himself in office. Of course, he was completely overwhelmed by the task and blew it six ways from Dixie.

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well then, you'd think that Donald Trump would consider reality TV a better fit for him. Trump could be as outrageous as he likes, fire anyone he likes, and not have congress on his ass. But if Trump chose reality TV over the presidency then he couldn't get his hands on the cookie jar, now could he? Donald Trump plays a good con with fooling evangelicals and the simple minded and an entire political party, and pretending he really gives a rats ass about abortion, but for Donald Trump it's all about that cookie jar.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
You're have gotten delusional again. Jews were a very small minority compared to the German people as a whole. Marginalizing them, vilifying them and ultimately exterminating as many of them as possible didn't particularly disrupt the German industrial complex, which the Nazis corralled to build their war machine. Comparing the Jews to America's Democrats is completely ridiculous.

Hitler wrote Mein Kampf. Donald Trump paid a man good bucks to portray him a winner when he was really just a faithless liar in The Art of the Deal. At the time, he had no political ambitions. The only thing that saved him from his bankruptcies was his reality TV show. He heard people ask him if he had an idea to run for president (he didn't) and after a while it rubbed off on him. He didn't think he could do it but he was swept up in the circumstances, eventually becoming a megalomaniac when he found himself in office. Of course, he was completely overwhelmed by the task and blew it six ways from Dixie.

You take the comparison too literally my friend. I was talking basics. The divisions. The hate. There was no logical reason for Adolf Hitler to despise the Jews so, and no logical reason an entire political party would despise democrats so, including when one has been elected president. But they do. And as with Hitler and the Jews, Donald Trump and pretty much the entire republican party simply will not tolerate a democrat as president. Add into that a second term for Donald Trump come 2024 and I can already hear the train whistles as democrats are shipped off for "special treatment ".

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He will attempt to destroy any state/city that opposed him and will cater to the worst instincts of the far right base that adores him. What he will take personal pride in is doing things like withholding federal funding from places he will deem 'anarchist jurisdictions'', like he did already once. He will leave a lot of the actual governing to Congress, which will have been taken over by far right Trumpies, if he wins.

In general under him and all the elected far right Trumpies that will become more and more powerful, they will ruin public education, destroy women's rights, regress all environmental laws, make the tax code even friendlier to the wealthy, attempt to destroy SS and Medicare, persecute the gays, and all that fun stuff they have been fantasizing for for years.

And we have already seen how much he respected Democracy, that will disappear under Trump.
I’m not so sure about all the stuff in your second paragraph but the first is certainly correct. As I think Grisham said he will go on a revenge tour the likes of which this country has never seen. His second term will focus almost exclusively on making those who made him feel so humiliated in 2020 pay.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I’m not so sure about all the stuff in your second paragraph but the first is certainly correct. As I think Grisham said he will go on a revenge tour the likes of which this country has never seen. His second term will focus almost exclusively on making those who made him feel so humiliated in 2020 pay.

I mean this is in large part why the base identifies with him. They also thirst for revenge and punishment against their perceived enemies far more than they have any interest in quality (or even sane) governance. This is the culmination of the GOP culture war project.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
You take the comparison too literally my friend. I was talking basics. The divisions. The hate. There was no logical reason for Adolf Hitler to despise the Jews so, and no logical reason an entire political party would despise democrats so, including when one has been elected president. But they do. And as with Hitler and the Jews, Donald Trump and pretty much the entire republican party simply will not tolerate a democrat as president. Add into that a second term for Donald Trump come 2024 and I can already hear the train whistles as democrats are shipped off for "special treatment ".

I've always thought what is the one thing that could take down this great nation. Its not going to be an outside force like China or Russia. Its going to come from the inside. The instability and divide that happens when a person like Trump gets into office. We survived the first 4 years with Trump. Can America survive another 4 years if he is president again? We will see if this happens.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I mean this is in large part why the base identifies with him. They also thirst for revenge and punishment against their perceived enemies far more than they have any interest in quality (or even sane) governance. This is the culmination of the GOP culture war project.
Yup. I am aware of no coherent goals that conservatives have for governance other than opposing liberals.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Like kicking out Sec's of States all over the country and turning the job over to Republican legislators or Trump toadies

Last edited:
Reactions: ivwshane