Imagine if the human brain had evolved the ability to detect danger

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
and no real danger was present. Could this prove to be disastrous? Or am I imagining the potential for disaster because I have a survival skill that in some cases works against me. I mean, it just seems to me that it would be pretty easy to use me as a tool of some kind if I could be led around by my ability to see danger that wasn't even there just by being told by others that it is. Am I not an ape that runs up a tree when my neighbor ape hoots when he sees a leopard. It seems to me I could fall prey to some political party that offers me safety when there's not any real danger. I could get myself all fucked up with paranoia. But what is the real paranoia, that this could be my fate, that I could be played for a chump because I'm a chimp, or is the danger I've been warned about real. What do you think when you examine yourself? Has your valuable mental capacity to see danger in a safe world become a brain defect?

Last edited:

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
We probably evolved to recognize the environment where many dangers might be found. Those who ... say wandered in the tall grass of the Savannah probably didn't pass their genes on while those who learned that lions might like tall grass did...

I don't think it likely that humans have the ability, at this point, to have a sense danger exists beyond the likely environment where it may. Some studies, however, regarding humans and snakes suggest we may.

There are a few interesting studies regarding being Risk Averse. Being so much so that the neurotic fears out of irrational thinking and is totally controlled by it within the scope of that fear. Those folks won't find themselves able to bring themselves to act against that fear and will conjure up all manner of excuses to cover up the fact that they are in fear...

():)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We probably evolved to recognize the environment where many dangers might be found. Those who ... say wandered in the tall grass of the Savannah probably didn't pass their genes on while those who learned that lions might like tall grass did...

I don't think it likely that humans have the ability, at this point, to have a sense danger exists beyond the likely environment where it may. Some studies, however, regarding humans and snakes suggest we may.

There are a few interesting studies regarding being Risk Averse. Being so much so that the neurotic fears out of irrational thinking and is totally controlled by it within the scope of that fear. Those folks won't find themselves able to bring themselves to act against that fear and will conjure up all manner of excuses to cover up the fact that they are in fear...

():)

Yeah, like we all know that conservatives are snakes, but what if I had just been told that by liberals who knew that my fear of snakes could be used to get my vote and it's really those liberals that are the snakes for using me like that. What if conservatives really are the good guys and I've my survival ability to avoid snakes had been used by cleaver people. And who knows how deep this rabbit hole could be. What if in fact I'm my own worst enemy that my constant scanning for danger has done a number on me. Maybe I'd be better off flipping a coin to decide things.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Liberalism is a mental disorder, according to the DSM-IV.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1672325/posts

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth Edition (henceforth "DSM-IV") describes the clinical criteria necessary for a diagnosis of "Narcissistic Personality Disorder". In what follows, the clinical diagnostic criteria of DSM-IV are given in bold with my comments following in plain text:

Diagnostic criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

How often have we seen this, not only among liberal politicians (Ted Kennedy is an NPD poster boi) but among FR trolls: the idea that since they have gone to college everyone should take their word as Gospel. And has anyone exaggerated their achievements and talents more than John Kerry and Joseph Wilson?

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
Nothing turns me off faster than some petty little liberal who believes that he holds the future of the Earth in his hand because he doesn't eat animals, or recycles his cans, or bikes to work. Liberals (to quote my best friend) want to "carve their initials in the universe".

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
Examples are left as an exercise for the reader...

(4) requires excessive admiration
Yes. Requires that one admire his politically correct stance on issues regardless of the actual concrete results of following his prescriptions...

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
Like Nietzsche, I think I have the ability to smell whiners. And no one whines more than a liberal. They all whine about how the world doesn't take them seriously and how they should have a higher place in the world than the one they actually occupy.

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
There is perhaps nothing that separates liberals from conservatives more than this: that conservatives will weigh the means to achieving an end and reject certain of them on the basis of "fair play" (despite the fact that the end might not be achieved) whereas for liberals it is the end that counts and any means are acceptable (including lying, exaggerating, eco-terrorism, or REAL terrorism for that matter...)

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

Whereas the DSM-III put the clinical emphasis for NPD on the idea of "grandiosity", the "DSM-IV Revised" rightly places the emphasis here. Empathy is not sympathy. Empathy is the ability to see or perceive that others are different. Others have different life experiences and different goals. That liberals literally can't understand this leads to two typical liberal responses:

For those who really are different (Islamofascists, neo-communists, dictators), the idea that "They really are just like us! If only we could get Osama and Kim Jung-Il over for a game of pool and a coupla beers, we could work this whole thing out!"

And for those who should be like us (ie the "red states"): That we are being willfully ignorant or evil. After all, the truth is self evident (and I am the judge). So if another American disagrees with me it MUST be because he hasn't been enlightened (most likely because the capitalist media has brainwashed him) or because he willfully ignores the truth to pursue his own evil agenda (nothing is more fun that watching liberals swim back and forth between the idea that Bush is an ignorant chimp and that he is the master of a global cabal to rule the world!)

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
No comment necessary.

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
None here neither.

Please feel free to revise and extend my remarks!

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
It's known as risk identification and mitigation. Many companies now require a Job Safety Analysis (JSA) prior to beginning a work task. The person/s performing the task must indentify all potential dangers and steps required to mitigate these dangers.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
and no real danger was present. Could this prove to be disastrous? Or am I imagining the potential for disaster because I have a survival skill that in some cases works against me. I mean, it just seems to me that it would be pretty easy to use me as a tool of some kind if I could be led around by my ability to see danger that wasn't even there just by being told by others that it is. Am I not an ape that runs up a tree when my neighbor ape hoots when he sees a leopard. It seems to me I could fall prey to some political party that offers me safety when there's not any real danger. I could get myself all fucked up with paranoia. But what is the real paranoia, that this could be my fate, that I could be played for a chump because I'm a chimp, or is the danger I've been warned about real. What do you think when you examine yourself? Has your valuable mental capacity to see danger in a safe world become a brain defect?

I don't know about danger, but I can, with 100% accuracy, predict what the point of every thread you start is going to be. You have exactly two themes, and everything you post is based on one of the two, with an occasional foray that combines both.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Is this just a sad attempt from Moonie to save a little face after being exposed as a fraud for his "brain defect" accusations, or is he off his meds again?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Conservatives Remain the Largest Ideological Group in U.S.

My word, we've got an epidemic going on! There are more conservatives than liberals and all these conservatives have got a damned brain defect! Although, it does seem rather strange that the majority of people that basically think alike are the group with the brain defect. I mean there is absolutely no possibility that the minority of people, the liberals, have a brain defect is there? It would almost lead one to believe that when faced with a mode of thinking that puts them in the minority, liberals in the process of trying to reconcile this, project their defect onto others.

The biggest group of liars that accept group-think on a religious level would never do that, right?

One silly ass fucking thread after another from the same individual. A thought, stuck in the brain, that keeps circulating and regurgitated again and again and again.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Some people understand risk better than others. This is a brain defect?

Exactly, that's my question. To be or not to be. Whether it is nobler of the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of moral self doubt or arm myself with the fanaticism of certainty against them, and having so armed or disarmed myself, to know the good quality of it. To sleep and perchance to dream in an altered state of reality. There's the rub. What if the slings and arrows are the dream of my brain's adaptive capacity to identify threat gone wrong, that the threats are genetically inspired hallucinations some hooting ape somewhere intentionally triggered in me. Can you see the danger I could be in?

What if all these clarion calls to me from the right are the product of unaltered perception and the hoots I hear were manufactured by liberal politicians and if so wouldn't you call my genetic gift a disability. I just can't determine yet who has the greater capacity for risk assessment, those who are sure their capacity is always right or who question if what they fear is a real threat. I keep wondering what tests we could apply. I'm even starting to doubt science. Compuwix1 seems to think that opinion is where the truth is found and boomerang thinks it's with the numbers, and others that you can't know anything if you focus on narrow themes. No matter the information, it seems, it always gets filtered through the programmable risk assessment thingi in the brain.

What kind of brain is it that is so devoted to risk assessment that it even questions it's own capacity to assess correctly, whether the risk is real or a delusion put there by others.

What if all those zombie movies are reality and I'm one of them. How do I tell a plastic human brain from the brain of a zombie?

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Best way to live.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Yeah, like we all know that conservatives are snakes, but what if I had just been told that by liberals who knew that my fear of snakes could be used to get my vote and it's really those liberals that are the snakes for using me like that. What if conservatives really are the good guys and I've my survival ability to avoid snakes had been used by cleaver people. And who knows how deep this rabbit hole could be. What if in fact I'm my own worst enemy that my constant scanning for danger has done a number on me. Maybe I'd be better off flipping a coin to decide things.

I'd opine that to the one with the delusions the reality of those delusions is concrete, accepted and require action to mitigate or cope with them. IOW, they are real. IF those folks are of that mind then there ought be no further effort from them to determine truth and the time to act is at hand.

It would, therefore, seem reasonable to expect the un-delusion-ed (Not sure the right term to use here) to be in a constant state of evaluation until it is empirically (or at least by some rationalization) determined truth is this or that to the extent a probability is accepted as truth.

So..... It don't seem important to determine which side is shoving straw up your nostrils, but rather, whether or not you find straw in your nose gives you the warm and fuzzies... I saw a movie that had this guy a feared of fire but didn't give a hoot about the straw in his nose...

It didn't much matter to Davy Crockett's friends that he lied to them about the letter from the Mexican General... They rationalized that he'd have said what Davy indicated IF he would have actually wrote the letter in the first place. They wanted to fight someone, it seems.

So, truth is relevant but only if it is the Focus to determine the requisite action.... IF the action bit is already determined .... what does it matter what truth is?

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010

I wish I had your mind, man.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I wish I had your mind, man.

I don't know that I would.... Leopard's can climb the tree that Moonbeam climbed up.... saving the hungry cat the chore of climbing up the tree to consume its latest catch....

Unless..... maybe the buddy chimp was an illusion and the tree a false security.... hmmmm

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Could? No. It already has. Best modern example is the Iraq War.

Well, as it happens, me and a small number of others on this board were against that, when everybody else were hooting we needed to run for our bombs and shock and awe the shit out of them so let me just add one further little caveat to your post here. It's the best modern example of which you are now aware. We just might be hooting about better ones, you and me, and that's what makes me worry.

Nov 30, 2006
I'm just a stupid pig among apes, a pig who's not nearly smart enough to know the answers...but one who prefers questions instead. Why is it so important for you to keep telling conservatives how ugly they are all the time? Do you imagine that you're actually helping them in some way? If so, let me be first in line to cast a jaundiced eye.

pig.png

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Actually pigs are quite good at detecting danger, they can sense the electricity in an electric fence (they know whether current is flowing or not). They have a great sense of smell and actually can be a watch pig that gives watch dogs a run for their money.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I'd say I'm fairly good at detecting when there is danger. Its gotten me out of trouble numerous times. I'd say I'm even better at detecting bullshit and this thread reeks of it.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Actually pigs are quite good at detecting danger, they can sense the electricity in an electric fence (they know whether current is flowing or not). They have a great sense of smell and actually can be a watch pig that gives watch dogs a run for their money.

So pigs are smarter than Moonbeam.